Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

Iden's droid started its shrill wail next to the nightstand, hovering just out of reach of their tangled bodies.

"Shut up, droid." Iden's voice cut the cries short, the droid maneuvering away from them. Briar yawned, rubbing one of her eyes as Iden rose onto her elbows.

"Good morning, my love." Iden said softly, reaching out and caressing the Death Trooper's cheek. Briar's right eye was still nursing a hit she took three days ago from an Imperial defector. She had killed him. Stabbed him in the chest, ending his pathetic life.

Briar didn't shy away from her touch, even as her thumb brushed directly below the outline of the black eye.

"Morning, darling. You leave soon, right?" Iden sighed and sat up, Briar following suit.

"Yes, but it's a short mission. I shouldn't be more than a few hours." As Iden spoke, she picked at the skin on the side of her thumb. Her nervous tics were never hard for Briar to see.

She placed her hands over Iden's tan skin, stopping the woman from inflicting any more damage on herself. Briar's hands cupped Iden's cheeks, looking deeply into her haunting brown eyes. The commander of the Inferno Squad smiled at her, resting their foreheads together.

"You're too good for me." Iden spoke, shaking her head softly as she chuckled. Suddenly, Briar's body was pushed back onto the bed, Iden straddling her thighs.

"And, you look good with a black eye. How do you do it?" She teased, Briar's cheeks heating up. Her hands were forced above her head, a soft gasp escaping her lips as Iden leaned down closer.

"Iden, you know we can't do this now." As Briar spoke, she refused to hide the glee in her voice. Iden chuckled, peppering small kisses over her cheeks. Then, Briar's face was grabbed roughly with one hand, Iden's lips pressing hungrily into hers.

She wouldn't fight this woman. She loved her too much to deny her.

Iden pulled away as her droid began wailing at the two women again, irritation evident on her face.

"Droid!" She barked out, the mechanical wails instantly ceasing. Briar giggled underneath her, watching as Iden finally removed herself from the bed.

Iden quickly dressed in her Inferno uniform, tying her hair back in a tight bun. Briar pulled herself from the bed, taking in Iden in her dark uniform. Her eyes scanned over the red circle with three lines patch on her shoulder, running her fingers over it gently.

She was forced to look at Iden again as the commander cupped her cheeks, a small smile on her face.

"I love you, Briar. I won't be long."

Butterflies erupted, her hand cupping Iden's smooth cheek. "And I love you, Iden."

*****

Briar had gone back to sleep in Iden's bed, her body curled up on Iden's side. She was holding on to one of her pillows, breathing in her scent as she drifted in and out of sleep. How long had it been?

Startled, she rose, realizing she'd been asleep for hours. Why wasn't Iden back yet?

She lifted her datapad, the screen lighting up red. Her heart rate sped up, an encrypted message waiting for her. She typed in her credentials, another password required to access the message. Her eyes lowered to see who was the sender was. Iden.

Her brain thought back to something only they would know. Maybe it was a sentence? Or a simple pet name? She began typing in a random sentence the two would say, the system rejecting the password. Come on, think. It's been two years, you've fallen into a routine with this woman.