Chapter 7: Healing (Part 3)

The plan went horribly wrong.

Asgore's mind races as his meaty hands hold a small pile of ashy dust and a flower seed. His face is covered in tears. He runs while his fists are firmly clenched. The windows in the laboratory fly past his eyes at lightning speed. Asgore reaches the end of the hallway, and with a mighty kick, he breaks down the door. 

A tall figure from across the room turns his head towards Asgore. His figure is extremely shadowy and opaque. The figure jolts his head upward, with his shifty eyes peeking out from under his hat. Asgore bawls as he gently opens up his hands, revealing the dust.

"PLEASE, SAVE MY SON", Asgore cries.

"Your highness...my condolences."

"Can you...do anything?! You're the royal scientist, after all. You're the smartest person in all of the Underground."

"I will do my best to resurrect your child. However, please be patient. This could prove to be disastrous. And I'm not sure if I'll be successful. Even still, I will attempt my best work."

"Thank you...so, so much."

...

Asgore breathes deeply. "Long before Alphys...many scientists ago, there was a royal scientist that I asked to study a way to revive our son. Using the dust, he did get close a few times, but nothing to any avail. During his tenure, however, he grew a large flower out of the same patch in which our son fell. I grew fond of this flower, and I had hope that he'd one day return...even though bleakness was setting in. Then, when Dr. Alphys came along, I asked her if she could experiment and see if she could use it to figure out a way to break the barrier; get power out of souls. DETERMINATION studies." 

The goat dad shakes his head. "At this point, hopes of seeing my son again had grown dimmer than ever. But then, I come to find out that Alphys absconded with my favorite flower. I had no idea as to why, aside from the fact that I wanted her to study a way for us to have our freedom. But, the flower returned more different than ever, and I got to know this talking flower, and he sounded familiar. That's when I put 2 and 2 together and realized that my son resurrected; he was alive. I realized that Flowey was Asriel soon after this flower reappeared in my garden, even though he was in a different body and his voice was of a somewhat different pitch."

Asgore sighs deeply, and he speaks quietly. "Although, I didn't realize that DETERMINATION injection was the reason why until later on. In any event, our son was back...but not himself. I then received confirmation after the barrier broke that she indeed was experimenting on the flower, injecting DETERMINATION into it, and it caused our son to revive."

Toriel forcefully holds up her hands; now her face is contorted and filled with a burning, consuming fire. "Hold it, Asgore! So, you really knew this WHOLE TIME that Asriel was that Flowey thing?! Even before being freed?"

Asgore holds up his hands. "Toriel, please hear me...I only knew for sure that Flowey was Asriel after Alphys' experiments were completed! And she didn't tell me that my guess was correct until after the barrier broke. Even if she didn't tell me, I believed that our son was Flowey."

Toriel hotly sputters. "And this means you begged for his revival to happen, too! I thought you only knew about Flowey AFTER the barrier broke, not before!" Her voice raises, and people start staring again. "He's my child, too! Did it ever occur to you to EVEN TELL ME?!"

The room falls into a deafening silence. Toriel shakes her head and rubs her hand through her red hot face. She holds her forehead tightly. (Oh no, the public isn't supposed to know about my son's past. It would cause a stir; relax, Toriel.)

Toriel nods solemnly. "I'm sorry. Please continue."

Asgore nods, with his voice lowering. "Even though it contained Asriel's essence, he couldn't feel love. There was no feeling of kindness, compassion, or heart."