Chapter 21: The Wholehearted Half-Souls (Part 2)

The goat mother grins and quietly speaks, hope returning to her soul. "Not a single scratch on him." Toriel then looks up at the clock. The room grows dark as the hands stretch up to the "6:00 pm" position. "Oh heavens, it's growing late! Perhaps I should get going; the kids will be home soon for dinner."

A deep, mighty voice echoes into Toriel's ear. "No, don't go! We still have much to talk about." Toriel shakes her head, and a low grumble emits from the other side. "Toriel, something's going on with our child. I am very thankful our boy is well, but we should still discuss what he's going through, don't you believe that? It is worth talking about."

Toriel nods, and her face twists into a fretting position. "Alright, Asgore, let me explain." She lowers her tone. "He's able to turn into something greater, and it's to help protect Frisk and defeat Kris. But, it's also to protect others...protect himself, too. I think he called it his 'hyperdeath' form."

Asgore smiles widely. "That's very noble of him. I'm so proud of my son."

Toriel sighs and tensely rubs her hand through her fur, static energy flying into the air. "Asgore, I..."

"What is it?" Asgore asks. 

She breathes slowly, and tears begin to run down her face. "I also have the feeling that I'm such a terrible mother...I sparred with him. I can't believe I'm saying that, but I'm now realizing that I've acted poorly and horribly."

Asgore leans forward in his chair in the Flower King, free hand pressed on the counter. "Dear Toriel, you cannot be..."

"No, Asgore," Toriel snaps. 

A deafening silence passes over the phone line. "No...what?" the retired king asks. 

Toriel bashes her foot into the ground. "Mothers aren't supposed to do those things, sparring with their kin."

The former queen stares at the table, beginning to weep. Asgore shakes his head. "You fought Frisk in the Underground, yes? He told me about your battle in the Ruins before you let him go. How is this any different?"

Toriel gulps. "Because I made a mistake back then...it was completely inappropriate, and I thought I had moved on from those kinds of actions. Mothers aren't...s-supposed to do t-those things." She shakes her head and tries to compose herself. "It's as if I swore in front of our child or forgot to pick him up from school or..."

"Toriel," Asgore interrupts sharply yet lovingly.

Toriel stops talking, and her ex continues. "I need to ask why you went there," inquires Asgore. "Was it because you wanted to stop Asriel and Frisk? Or help them?" the former king asks solemnly and calmly.

The goat mother feels taken aback by this. She sighs, then calms herself. "The former. I applaud them for wanting to protect our precious home, but I don't want my children to die." Her tears return. "It's the most...horrifying thing a parent...could have."