Chapter 21: The Wholehearted Half-Souls (Part 3)

It's dark. Kris breathes heavily, flicking his tongue over his teeth. The basement of the abandoned building he's in surrounds him with grime and muck, water puddles settling in the corner. Before him is a figure with her head covered by a bag. She's bound to a chair, her hands and ankles arrested with ropes. He marches over to the monster, throwing the bag off her head. Staring down at her with a sharp glare, he grits his teeth. The monster pants heavily as her limbs shiver.

"Tell me where the ambassador hides out the most," Kris says. He points the knife at the monster's chest. 

This reindeer monster has chocolate brown fur and sports a bright red tracksuit with black pants. Her antlers are solid and sturdy, and she's sporting a red nose. As she pants heavily and looks around the dingy basement, she smirks at Kris. He looks down at her, red eyes piercing her with venom.

"What's so funny?" Kris snaps. She laughs and spits at the ground, then turns back to him.

"Do you really think I'd give that away? Neither I nor my sister Noelle would ever bow the knee to the likes of you!"

Kris leans forward, piercing her neck slightly with the knife. A single particle of dust falls from the innocent monster, and Kris makes a "hiss" sound with his tongue. "I asked you a question, Dess. My search for him has proven fruitless so far." He chuckles. "Maybe you can be of service to me."

Dess sinks her head slightly, which causes the knife to injure her further. "Tell me, human...why do you think I would listen to you?" She tilts her head upward again and smiles confidently, yet her eyes are filled with fear. "Frisk is the greatest thing to happen to our town. Maybe you could understand him more if you just listened to him." 

She scowls and lowers her voice. "Plus, the less I give to you, the more my little sisters stay safe. This kidnapping ploy of yours isn't exactly something I'm willing to go along with."

Kris scoffs, then rubs his thin, wispy hand over the blunt side of his blade. "Hmm...if you insist."

With a quick slash, Dess feels great searing pain in the center of her body. She falls backward and twitches, and her eyes close. The soul breaks and Kris rushes over to collect as much energy as he can before her body disintegrates into dust. His collected soul energy resonates with his own, LV and HP increasing.

Kris grimaces. "Well, the 'kidnap-for-information plan' was a dead end. I suppose I'll wait for him to come to me unless an opportunity to strike arises." Kris shrugs as he heads for the stairs. "At least my tracks are covered. Conveniently, the monsters will automatically cremate their bodies for you." 

He lowers his head and pulls up his hood as he runs up the stairs

***Author's Notes***

Good timezone, friends! I hope you are well, and I hope you enjoyed the chapter!

This is the title drop chapter, where Frisk and Asriel's mother begins to realize one of the key themes of the story: her children persevere and stay DETERMINED even when it's hard, and she couldn't be prouder of them. This chapter was a lotta fun for me to write because of the focus on the theme of how things may be hard in the present. But, if you keep going, it'll be worth it.

I also love writing Toriel and Asgore reconciliation scenes. Right after the game closes, Toriel pities Asgore at best and despises him at worst. But now, things are improving. It's a hopeful and good thing to do, because both parties can now have some semblance of healing and being able to move forward.

What did you think of the chapter? Please remember to leave a comment, and kudos the work too! Until I see you again, take care! Stay DETERMINED.