Chapter 22: Reconciliations (Part 4)

Tell me what's bothering you," Frisk says.

Alphys sighs and rubs her neck. "Remember when Mettaton was attacked?" Frisk nods, and Alphys lowers her head, dark circles returning underneath her eyes. "Mettaton said he was just acting, even though he got hit."

Frisk raises an eyebrow and shrugs. "So what's the problem? That should be a reliever, not a stressor."

Alphys sighs. "I know. It's just...well...what if Kris...since the k-knife didn't work...comes up with s-some contingency plan?"

Frisk stares at Alphys for a moment, then chuckles. "There's no way that Kris would be allowed to purchase a gun if that's what you're saying."

Alphys rubs her neck. "I don't k-know...we can't be too careful, right? I'm not sure if even y-your DETERMINATION could withhold a b-bullet. They're much more popular here on the surface, too, contrasted with the Underground."

Frisk smiles and shakes his head. "Kris' face has been popping up all over the news lately; the police seem to be closing in on him as the true suspect and culprit. It wasn't like that back at the start of the school year, but it is now."

"What about...getting a better weapon?" Alphys asks.

Frisk shakes his head. "If he goes to a gun shop, his background check would be dead on arrival." He shrugs and smirks slightly. "Besides, it's not like we live in Texas or anything. Kris successfully snagging a firearm is out of the question, especially since he's a minor like me."

Alphys shakes her head, and her body begins to tremble. "I just d-don't know. He could still steal o-one. He's a criminal, Frisk."

"Yeah...you have a point," Frisk says. "But if he does have a gun, whenever Kris shows up again, we'll only move in if the police are moving in, too. They should know whether or not he has a gun, right? That way, we can all be safe."

Alphys nods nervously. "Oh...ok. I can certainly a-agree to that."

Frisk gently yet firmly places his hand onto Alphys' shoulder. "I understand why you would be fearful. But, think of the training and our team...doesn't that give you any confidence? What about the armor that Undyne will have?"

Alphys taps her foot quickly on the floor and brings her knees as close to her body as she can. "I just d-don't know. That armor is strong, but I didn't m-make it to be b-bulletproof. And it's not an end-all-be-all." She lowers her head to rest on her knees. "Susie is powerful but r-reckless. Sans is swift but lazy. And, Asriel is fast and intelligent for his age but can be f-fragile, even with his DETERMINATION."

Frisk nods. "I understand that, but wouldn't you consider strength in numbers to be a great advantage?"

"I just don't know..." Alphys says.

Frisk tilts his head. "This isn't like you to be illogical."

Alphys sighs. "I don't know. I'm sorry, I'm j-just w-worried about you guys."

Frisk clicks his tongue. "I can tell what you're truly thinking, Alphys...you think we'll lose, and that's why you're so unsure and hesitant about what we're doing, right?"

Alphys blinks and blushes. "Hold on... w-what do you m-mean?"

Frisk shakes his head and frowns. "It's simple. You're hesitant about teaching Blooky. You don't care about our numbers advantage. You tried to pass off responsibility earlier. You've been acting nervous and guilty the entire time."

Alphys gasps. She holds her heart. She then nods and slowly rises from the ground. "I'm sorry...I think y-you're right."

Frisk shakes his head and breathes out heavily. Alphys clasps her hands together, shoves herself out of the door, and rushes over to the couch. Frisk follows her, and he folds his arms as Alphys collapses onto the couch. "I don't know what to say."