Chapter 10: TLC (Part 2)

Frisk smiles and gets up from Asriel's bed. He stands at the door to the bedroom and glances up the hall while the phone rings loudly. Toriel rushes to pick up the receiver. "Hello...oh, hi Sans...yes? Sounds like the interrogation went well...oh, um...sorry, no. I appreciate the offer, but I don't think you should pay us a visit. Asriel really needs his rest; he just got discharged from the hospital this morning. I hope you understand...yes, thank you. Take care, Sans."

A quick pattering sounds at the door. Toriel turns towards the front door with a quick jolt of her head and rushes to throw the food onto a tray. In a bellowing voice, she speaks out to Frisk. "My child! Grab the tray and give it to your brother while I get the door!"

Toriel wipes her hands quickly with a tablecloth as Frisk rushes into the kitchen to grab the tray. "Yes, mom!" He grabs it and quickly marches back the hallway towards the Dreemurr child's bedroom.

Meanwhile, Toriel throws open the door and nods. "I'm sorry that I was late in responding. I was making lunch for my eldest." A pair of police officers stand in front of her, one strong-looking owl and one prim-looking yet slightly whimsical-looking secretary bird. Their badges shine in the sunlight, and Toriel takes a slight step back. "Oh, good morning, officers. Is there a problem?"

The owl officer smiles slightly. "Good day. We would like to ask your son a few questions concerning our investigation."

Toriel holds her mouth and shakes her head. Her face gets flushed, and she tries to catch her breath. The owl officer leans forward. "Ma'am, are you alright?"

"Oh...I apologize...I know why you're here. It's because of the party, correct?" Toriel asks.

"Yes," he replies.

"Please, come in," Toriel quietly says as she brings them into the home. 

A couple of sweat drops fall from her head, and she bows deeply, moving to the side. The officers come into the home; the owl officer, Harlow, wiggles his beak and breathes in the steam deeply. "Mmmm, it smells good in here, Ms. Dreemurr. You got a party planned?" 

Toriel slams her fists on the counter, body trembling. The superior officer, Sterling, sternly glares at him as he frets and coughs. "Um, sorry, ma'am. And you, too, Ms. Dreemurr. I should stay on task and not mention anything about parties, perhaps."

Toriel nods slightly without looking at the officers. "No, it's alright. There's just a lot on my mind."

Toriel walks over to the kitchen table and sinks into her favorite chair. Harlow takes a moment to compose himself and looks intently at Sterling. "Who should I interview? Toriel or her sons?

"You will interview the mother and the younger son. Leave the older one to me," Sterling commands.

Toriel stares back at the kitchen counter, which now has some pie steaming as it sits on the countertop. She looks back the hallway, then at the officers. "Pardon me, but my child needs rest. If it isn't too much trouble, could you please keep the interview short?"

Sterling sighs and holds her beak with her wing. "Alright, that's fine. But be warned, we may need to inconvenience you at a later date with more questions if that's the case. Not a guarantee, but it's possible."

Toriel nods. "That is fine."

Sergeant Sterling nods and heads into the hallway. When she turns to her left, she arrives at the Dreemurr child bedroom, and Frisk salutes. "Good afternoon, officer!"

Sterling nods. "Hello, Ambassador. I need to talk to your brother so we can help track down the one who attacked."

Sterling steps into the room, and Asriel slowly sets the book on his lap. He reaches over to his nightstand and takes a small sip of water. "Um...hello, officer."