Chapter 26: Victory and DETERMINATION (Part 2)

Snow falls from the evening sky, and peacefulness has returned to the town of Ebott

Snow falls from the evening sky, and peacefulness has returned to the town of Ebott. The local precinct stands in the center of the town. Not many officers sit within the building now, just a single leader and her subordinate working through piles of paperwork in the breakroom.

Harlow looks up at his superior. He hums under his breath, a mixture of strained yet calm tones. As he flips his wing through the paperwork, he glances up at his superior and smiles. "Just when things die down, they speed up again, don't they?"

Sterling rubs her temples with a groan. "You're a punny one tonight, aren't you? We have so many traffic citations here that it's not even funny. It's not funny in general, but still." She nods as she continues to inspect the various papers on the table. "Such is life."

Harlow waves his wing and lays slightly backward in his chair. "You could use a vacation, ma'am! You're the busiest supervisor I've ever had." He gently glances at her. "You're probably the best supervisor I've ever had, too."

Harlow looks from across the room; a bright, blaring television show plays on the screen. He stops moving the files on the table and focuses on the picture. The one depicted on the screen is Mettaton in his distinctive, glamorous EX form. The lights from the talent show stage reflect off his pink and silver body, and the music sounds powerful.

"Oh yeah, that comes on tonight! One of my favorites," Harlow says quietly to himself.

"I hope you aren't getting distracted," Sterling says.

Harlow's head snaps back to face Sterling, and he blushes. Returning to the paperwork, he sighs and rubs his wing through his scalp and then the paperwork. "I'm glad the Kris Delta case has come to a close." Sterling nods and shudders, and Harlow carefully glazes at his superior. "Anything wrong, ma'am?"

"No, Harlow. I was just considering how serious this case was," Sterling replies. 

Harlow grumbles. "The kid just turned 16, yet he's being tried as an adult."

"Yeah, and I agree," Sterling admits. Being held in maximum security is the right call, too."

Harlow shudders, then nods. "You're right, ma'am. It's just sad to see how things went."

Sterling lowers her head deeply without batting an eye. "I agree. All we can do is our best, and while I wish we could've prevented more disaster, we did hold it together better than you'd expect for a little police department like ours." Sterling looks up at Harlow again. She smiles, keeping her relaxed demeanor. "We'll have to do our best to keep moving forward."

...

Mettaton's show comes into full focus, and the live audience roars. He poses grandly on the screen, bright sparkles flying out from his body. Peering down at the audience, he grins as the crowd applauds. Mettaton shoots his grandiose voice into the microphone. "Thank you all for such a wonderful one-hundredth episode! My darlings, our ratings are higher than ever before," Mettaton exclaims.