Chapter 9: Pairs and Bonds (Part 1)

Inside the Ebott precinct sits Harlow, whose bright yellow scan paperwork. The other detectives in the office are secured to their cubicles, mulling over their case files. As the moon rises, Harlow shifts his eyes slightly to the left and looks back down at his case file. Dozens of papers are scattered across his desk, with a multitude of faces of Ebott's townsfolk littering the desktop.

...

...

Harlow scratches the back of his head as he moves multiple files around on his desk. As he organizes his notes, his ear twitches when he hears strong, heavy footsteps. They trot closer to him, and he nods. "Sergeant, is that you?"

His head spins around while the rest of his body stays forward-facing. He looks up at his fellow officer. This sergeant is one of the monster race, just like Harlow himself but takes the form of a secretary bird instead of an owl-like Harlow. Her figure is tall and lean, yet strong and proper, and she tends to wear a bright white uniform with a platinum-colored badge on the front. Her beak shines in the moon's rays reflecting off it, and her gaze is firm yet easy on the brain and soul.

She smiles as she takes a look at the papers on Harlow's desk. "Harlow, you were excellent in the interrogation room last night. I look forward to seeing what you can find about the suspect."

Harlow nods and smiles back. "Yes, ma'am, and thank you. We still need more clues to narrow in on the suspect, but we do have a general picture of this case. Have you checked my report yet?"

The sergeant chuckles and holds her chin with her right wing. "I may or may not have been behind that mirror last night." Harlow nods, and the Sergeant continues. "Even still, I read your report over. And, everything you wrote in the report lines up with the details we have so far."

Harlow faces his paperwork again and places his head on one of his wings. The sergeant tilts her head and slowly walks up to his desk. "Harlow, is something the matter?"

"I'm just bothered that the prince of the Underground was attacked," Harlow explains. 

"I understand that. However, stay on task. What follow-ups do you have?" the Sergeant asks. 

"Sorry, Sterling," Harlow says as he clears his throat and nods slightly. "Here's the description we have so far: masked and thin with a semi-tall build. Was wearing a green and yellow striped shirt. A vegetable knife was their weapon; they fled the crime scene after attacking just one citizen. Seems like they were targeting a specific individual rather than attacking at random. Finally, they clearly hate the Dreemurr family. Sources also tell me that the attacker wanted Frisk Dreemurr dead, but Asriel Dreemurr jumped in the way. This potentially saved the life of Frisk Dreemurr while also foiling the suspect's plans. Asriel is alive but banged up."

Sterling nods then strokes her chin a little more. "That's good. However, are you sure our ambassador would have died if he were hit? Human souls are stronger than monster souls, you know."

"That is true, but what if Asriel jumping in the way confused the attacker and thus made their attack less focused?" Harlow asks. 

"That may hold water, but we have no proof," Sterling replies flatly. 

Harlow nods. "All the more reason to interview the Dreemurrs when we receive the chance."

Harlow reaches over to the corner of his desk, where a bottle of water sits. He takes a sip as crickets from the outside echo their noise into the office space. Sterling nods. "Alright, Harlow. We will thus roll out tomorrow. Keep up the good work."