Legend's Search

Caretaker woke up to the sound of his phone ringing. Grumbling, he picked it up and saw Legend was calling. "Someone better be dead..." He answered the phone and held it up to his ear. "Yes?"

Legend's voice whispered from the phone, which Caretaker found weird. "Hey, remember how I told you I delivered that Model to Ganxer?"

"Yeah?" Caretaker didn't like where this was going.

"Turns out, they never made it to her. They've gone missing."

Caretaker took a second to register that. Okay...so a Model was missing? Why did that concern him? He was sleeping for fucks sake. "And why does that concern me?"

Legend was quiet for a second. Then his whispering voice came on again. "Because you and I might be the only people that can find them safely?"

Caretaker sighed. "Legend, why are you whispering? Are you somewhere you're not supposed to be?"

Legend was quiet again, and Caretaker thought he heard a voice on the other side. Just barely, and less than a whisper somehow. "I'm...yeah, I'm not supposed to be here."

"Well where are you?"

"In...uh...Anubis's lab."

Caretaker shot up. "You're where?!"

"Anubis's lab."

Caretaker shot out of bed and began getting dressed in his normal outfit. "So you're whispering so you don't get caught by the audio sensors?"

Legend could be heard shuffling on the other end. "That...and he's sleeping in here."

Caretaker froze, and slowly looked at his phone. Now he was whispering. "So why the fuck are you in there?"

"Because he might have something to help in the search! Some kind of device, or something!"

Caretaker finished getting dressed and slowly tip-toed out of his room. "I'm coming to get you out of there. Now stay put!" Caretaker hung up and continued on, hoping he didn't wake anyone.

Legend

Legend looked at his phone and back at Anubis, who was sound asleep at his computer. For a second he thought he saw Anubis looking at him but he blinked and Anubis looked like he'd never been looking at him.

I need to get some sleep...

Sam was busy looking over various papers in the lab. "There's no way this is all he's been working on."

Legend rolled his eyes, speaking to Sam in his head. Sam, what are you talking about?

Sam floated over with a couple papers. "Look at these."

Legend grabbed the papers as quietly as possible, and looked them over. Studies with pure SBF material has shown it is an easily moldable substance that can be used in several different devices to not only enhance their performance, but also their durability. He looked up from the papers. So?

Sam pointed at the date on the paper. "That was made a year ago!"

And?

"That's the most recent document in this mess of a lab."

Legend shrugged. Maybe he switched to audio recordings.

Sam rolled his eyes. "Whatever. I know there's something bigger going on here, but if you want to focus on a singular missing individual, go right in ahead."

Legend waved him off. Just help me find the device, will you?

-------

Caretaker arrived shortly after Legend finished searching the lab. Legend was just leaving when Caretaker rounded the corner, looking scared. "We need to fucking hide!" Caretaker was whisper-shouting, clearly terrified.

Legend whispered back. "Why?"

"Milo's patrolling the halls!"

Just then, a white and black portal appeared beneath the two of them and they fell in, appearing back in their separate rooms. A note fell out of the portals above them.

Legend opened his and read it. "You owe me. Signed, Balthazar." Legend tore up the note. "Fuck you, Balthazar."

-------

Milo rounded the corner to Anubis's lab and sniffed around. He sneezed, and continued into Anubis's lab. Anubis had his head lying on the desk when he heard Milo climb in.

"Milo, heel."

Milo dropped from the ceiling and sat next to Anubis, who adjusted his crown on his head. He pat Milo and gave him a steak that was in his fridge. "Good boy, Milo." Milo devoured the steak and watched as Anubis grabbed his tape recorder.

"A Model entrusted to me has apparently gone missing within the SBF. Legend claims he delivered it properly, but it would seem that is not the case." He looked down at Milo. "I'm sending Milo to see if he can perhaps find the Model. Should he fail, we'll have a major problem."

Anubis shut off his tape recorder and looked down at Milo. "Alright, Milo, I need you to find something for me. Think you can do it?"

Milo had finished his steak by now. It tasted really good. Milo's tail wagged, and he gave off a small growl. His way of confirming he was up to the task. Anubis smiled and pat his head. "Who's my little abomination?"

Milo purred, and then jumped back onto the ceiling, crawling out of the room. Anubis closed the door and locked it, before entering his secret lab...and the secret lab after that.

He never forgot Subject 2, or that substance he found on the ground near the tank. He approached the computer and typed a few things. "Computer, what's the analysis on that substance?"

The computer beeped, before replying through the speaker in Anubis's voice. "Substance unknown. Appears organic in nature. Unable to identify."

"Organic...? You're saying this was created by a living creature?"

"Affirmative."

Anubis frowned.  "And that's all you could find about it?"

The computer beeped for a second time, before speaking again. "Substance appears to cause drowsiness in the victim. Calculations suggest it could lead to instant sleep, no matter where victim is. Side effects currently unknown."

Anubis threw up his hands in frustration. Great. What a waste of time. And now he also needed a new test subject. He walked out into the main lab and glanced at his Mirror Tech, which was covered in a white sheet, before leaving the room.