Prologue

It was an absolute shock when a young girl, about seventeen years of age arrived at the Bridgerton household, dressed in rags, clutching her swollen stomach, her face twisted in pain. Upon seeing the woman, Violet Bridgerton, being the kind soul she was, ushered the distraught girl inside. Violet, who was about five months with her second child herself, understood how the woman was feeling, but yet found herself confused as to why the girl stopped here instead of her own home.

"Edmund! Edmund! Call for a doctor!" At the sound of his wife's screams, Edmund Bridgerton rushed out of his study, clamoring down the stairs. At the sight of his wife attempting to support this young girl, who was moaning in pain, he called for a servant, who immediately rushed out in search for a doctor. 

While Edmund was giving instructions to the servants about prepping a room for the birth, Violet had gotten the woman to sit down, and was now attempting to calm the woman. "It's alright dear, you are going to get through this. Now, breath with me. In and out. In and out." The girl was sobbing now, still clutching her stomach, "I-It hurts, it hurts so bad!" She wailed. 

Violet nodded, for just two years ago, she had given birth for the first time herself. She understood the anxiety and the pain that the young girl was feeling. "I understand, I understand. I know it's hard, and it hurts. But once the child is born, it will all be worth it. Now, can you tell me your name?" She asked, for she felt that if she knew the girl's name, it might help comfort her more. "P-Pamela Smi-" She groaned in pain, throwing her head back as sweat trickled down her face. Violet recognized the signs, the sudden realization that the doctor was not going to make it in time.  This baby was ready to make his (or her) entrance into the world, and there was no time to waste.

Violet, not wanting to leave the young girl alone, called for her husband, "Edmund!" He immediately rushed toward her, "Violet, the doctor should be here soon, I do not understand what is taking so long."

"There is no time. The babe is ready for birth-" She was cut off by a mangled scream coming from the girl. After hearing the pained sound, Edmund knew that his wife was right. "What do you need me to do?" He asked softly, his eyes flickering to the girl, who had somehow ended up from the chair to the lush carpet, groaning loudly. "Towels, lots of towels, and-and sheets." Violet said, before adding, "Could you also have Lilac check up on Anthony, please?" "Of course, my love." 

After asking Lilac to check on Anthony, Edmund took it upon himself to gather the linens, for the other servants were prepping a room for the girl, although it would be useless now. The girl's screams echoed throughout the large house. Edmund had gathered bundles of linens, and was heading toward the stairs when he heard Lilac calling for him, "Lord Bridgerton, Anthony is asking for you." Edmund, who was desperate to return downstairs to his wife, sighed deeply, "Tell him, I'll be there in a little bit okay?" Lilac nodded, hurrying back into the nursery. Edmund then hurried down the stairs, but as he descended, he realized that the girl was silent, the only sounds were the soft cries of a baby.

Edmund dropped the linens, rushing down the stairs. He entered the family room, and dropped to his knees beside his wife, who sat on the ground beside the girl. The sight before him was a pitiful one to behold. The girl's skin was damp and pale, her body trembling with exhaustion. Red blood stained the carpet around them. All Edmund could do was stand and stare. The baby was a wailing mess of blood and tears, but she held her so gently, so lovingly. even amidst all of the pain. Life and death, hurt and joy, all crammed into the small frame of a woman. He had never seen anything more jarring. 

She looked up at him, her eyes brimmed with tears, "L-Loren... her name..." The girl's eyes drooped with exhaustion, begging for release, she wanted to just let go. Incapable of forming any words, the girl's clutch on the baby loosened, as she rested her head against the carpeted floor. The girl's eyes fluttered close, a peaceful smile gracing her face. 

With that, an angel returned to heaven, leaving a bundle of joy alone to start her life in the big, beautiful world.