Chapter Twenty-Four

As we all know, there is nothing this author loves more than a scandal, and tonight's soiree promises more than its fair share, courtesy of the recently widowed Lady Trowbridge. Some may call her celebrations too provocative, and I would caution any young lady from getting caught up in the sensual nature of her fêtes. For one scandalous move between an unwed couple, a wayward touch, or heaven forbid, a kiss, would banish any young lady from society in a trail of ruin.

Anthony was bored. Daphne was currently dancing in the arms of Prince Friedrich, a strange sight to behold, considering he was so used to seeing her with Simon. Loren was absent, therefore he had no way to occupy his boredom. His eyes sweeped the room for a familiar face, and then he saw her.

Sienna Rosso, in all her glory. His conversation with Loren the night before whirled through his mind. Did he love her? Or did he love Loren? He did not know. That was a lie. He was head over heels in love with Loren, but he did love Sienna. Yet he was not in love with her. The woman met his gaze with intensity as she sang. Anthony didn't know how long he was lost in his daze when his Mother spoke, "Anthony?" 

"Hm, yes?" He questioned, not daring to break eye contact, "You are drawing attention to yourself. Now please, quite staring." She scolded. Anthony glanced at his Mother, who had a glass of champagne in her hand, unbeknownst to him, it was the woman's third glass of the night. Violet was still in shock about her daughter's ruse and intended to somewhat feel some pleasure in the alcohol. 

Anthony obeyed his Mother and refused to look at the soprano, and instead turned his gaze upon Colin, who was enjoying a dance with Miss Marina Thompson. The man wasn't too pleased, considering something seemed to be quite strange revolving the new resident at the Featherington home. But refused to question it when he saw Daphne rush out of the room. Confusion rose inside of him, whatever was that about? 

He attempted to follow her, but was stopped by the bitch that was Cressida Cowper, "Lord Bridgerton," She said, curtsying. Anthony simply nodded, wanting nothing to do with the woman. "I was curious about the wellbeing of Miss Loren." Anthony furrowed his brows, "What about her?" He questioned. A smug smile crossed the girl's thin lips, "She apparently has been ill. But part of me refuses to believe that, my Lord." The man refrained from rolling his eyes, "Please continue, Miss Cowper, I have things to do." 

"The two of you are close. Too close for any normal friends. And both of you refuse to marry, so I can only assume her absence is due to the possibility of her being with child." Anthony was shocked at the audacity of the girl, "Are you assuming that I stole her innocence and impregnated her?" "I only thought-" She began confidently, but Anthony was not having it. "I may have a reputation as a rake, but I assure you that I would never do such thing, especially not to an amazing woman as Miss Loren. I understand that you are upset about my sister and the Prince's success together, but that is no right to make such assumptions-assumptions that you will no doubt share with your Mama, who will gossip with the ton. I will not have this scandal ruin my family, and I assure you that if you try and do such thing again, you will grow old as a spinster, no one will want you after your reputation is ruined." The man paused, keeping his voice low, "You are not to ever attempt to come up with any other rumors about my family, do you understand me, Miss Cowper?" 

The girl nodded, and without another word, Anthony fled the ballroom in search of his sister. He was infuriated by Cressida's assumptions. How could she think such a thing? He did not understand the working of that girl's brain and wished for her to just keep to herself instead of attempting to ruin others. He was wandering around the maze of the garden, when he heard noises. He immediately believed it to be Daphne and followed the sounds.

Upon returning a corner, he retrieved a nasty shock. Simon Basset, his closest friend, trailing kisses down his sisters skin, both panting and moaning. Anger rippled through the man as he ran toward Simon, nailing him in the head, "Bastard!" He shouted as he landed another punch in the head. "Anthony!" Daphne shouted as Simon stumbled back, clutching his jaw, which was painfully throbbing. Anthony was breathing heavily, his voice was laced with anger, "You will marry her." He ordered. Simon shook his head, "I cannot marry her."