Chapter Thirty-Seven

"My task this season cannot be exceptionally difficult. Hastings did it after all. How hard can it be?" Anthony said, to which Loren cringed. "Actually, you threatened his life. Therefore, he did not really have a choice." she pointed out. Anthony rolled his eyes, "Regardless, he swore off marriage, and so did I. And now he is married with a child."

"Spoken with such feeling." Benedict commented, his voice dripping with sarcasm. Anthony narrowed his eyes at him, "I do not need feeling. What I need is what I have, and that is a list." The others watched as he retrieved a small piece of parchment from his breast pocket. Loren exchanged confused glances with Benedict as Anthony read off what was written, "Tolerable, dutiful, suitable enough hips for childbearing, and at least half a brain. And that last part is not so much a requirement but a preference, in fact."

Loren rolled her eyes, "You cannot be serious, Anthony." The man quirked a brow, "Whatever do you mean?" "You have requirements?? If you are wishing to just marry because why not, there is no need for a list. Just find a nice woman who can tolerate your grumpiness and it'll be fine." She explained. Benedict chuckled at her comment about Anthony's attitude but the eldest brother was not amused. 

He opened his mouth to speak again, but then fell silent. Benedict glanced at Loren in confusion, she simply shrugged in response. The rest of the ride was quiet, neither of them knowing what to say. Loren found herself playing 'Rock-Paper-Scissors' Gregory the entire time, and she won every single time.

It wasn't long before they arrived at the Palace. It was just as beautiful as Loren remembered. She knew that Eloise was most likely freaking out at the moment, and she wished that she could be the girl. But instead, she walked with the boys. Unlike Daphne's debut where Loren found herself beside Anthony, she instead walked with Benedict, engaging in friendly conversation. Anthony stood behind the two, attempting to eavesdrop. 

In all truth, he couldn't help the overwhelming sense of jealously that washed over him. He knew he shouldn't feel that way, for it was truly his decision to end their engagement. And Benedict was his brother! He shouldn't feel jealous over their connection, and yet he did. Anthony very much regretted ending it between him and Loren, but there was no choice. When she left, he was extremely vulnerable, and it made him realize how much he depended on her. So he made the ultimate decision to find someone who could be his Viscountess, whose only job would be to take care of their children. 

He needed no connection, for love made him weak. And Anthony Bridgerton did not like being weak. 

The family entered the throne room, where they made their way over to the rest of the audience. Excitement buzzed throughout the crowd as they waited patiently for the debutantes. Loren stayed close to Benedict the entire time. If Anthony was going to be a grumpy jerk, than she would spend her time with her other favorite Bridgerton. 

"How do you think she will do?" Benedict questioned, to which Loren shrugged, "Honestly? I do not know. She is not very ladylike--but that is how Eloise has always been. I know that she is terrified though, I am quite nervous for her." "I am sure she will be amazing... if she doesn't faint." Loren slapped his arm, "Don't say that! She will do fine!"

Before Benedict could utter a single word, a footman spoke, "The Dowager Viscountess Bridgerton and Miss Eloise Bridgerton" The door was pulled open to reveal an elegant Violet and an anxious Eloise. The girl was frozen with terror. Her gaze searched the crowd until she found Loren, who sent her an encouraging smile. Eloise took a small step, the floor creaking loudly beneath her. 

Suddenly, a servant rushed into the room carrying a golden tray. The Queen snapped her gaze toward him, "What is the meaning of this?" She exclaimed before looking at whatever was being carried in. Her expression immediately changed into one of delight as she lifted the pamphlet delicately off of the platter. Loren caught sight of the familiar cover page, the crowd gasped, Violet was concerned, Eloise was relieved.

Lady Whistledown had finally returned.

-*-*-*-

Crappy chapter, it will get better thoo--i hope :/

I have been going through and rereading this story, and y'all's comments always make me so happy.

I will try to update more, but I have to get into the groove with the new plot first.

Thank you for reading and please continue to comment your thoughts!

-Av-

plz he's so pretty 

plz he's so pretty