Chapter Thirty-Nine

Loren sighed deeply as she listened to Anthony interrogate yet another woman. This young lady in particular was talking about her interests, "The harp is a wonderful instrument, my lord, teaching one patience, strength, and an appreciation for beauty, of course." 

Anthony nodded along with her words, Loren simply sipped her tea, not liking this woman too much. In reality, she hated all of the options, every single one. Not that she had anything against them, they were all beautiful, and kind. But they were possible wives for Anthony, therefore, she didn't like them.

"Do you read?" Anthony questioned. The lady simply stared at him, blinking slowly, "Books?" Loren rolled her eyes, setting down the cup, "Look's like we're done here." she whispered to Anthony, who nodded along. The two bid the lady goodbye before leaving the estate. Anthony retrieved his list from the breast pocket of his waistcoat, sighing deeply, "Another one down." Loren sighed, "I believe that we should stop this, you are never going to find a wife this way." Anthony simply sent her a smirk, "Never say never, my dear."

-*-*-*-

The interviews went on for days. Endless hours were wasted interrogating these women and Loren was exhausted. In all honesty, Anthony didn't really need her. He was turning down these ladies left and right, they seemed perfect at first, but then something would slip, and he was no longer interested. 

Although many times, he would end up spending the night. It bothered Loren at first, for she believed he was reverting to his rakish ways, but as time continued, she found herself not caring. It was his life, and she could not control it. 

It was morning, and Loren found herself seated in Anthony's study, awaiting his return. It had become a routine lately. She'd wait and once he arrived, he'd rant about the night before and discuss the pros and cons before making his ultimate decision to cross the name off of his list. 

It was quiet, the only sound being the rustling pages of the book held in Loren's hand. It was peaceful, something she hadn't felt in a long, long time. Her calmness was interrupted by the door being thrown open to reveal Anthony, his face flushed red, a goofy smile upon his lips. "Good morning Loren!" He greeted, sounding happier than normal. Loren found this suspicious, "Good morning to you as well." She watched as he placed his coat and hat upon the large coat rack before plopping onto the desk chair.

The woman arched her brows, "Did you have a good night?" She questioned, very confused about his behavior. He shook his head, "More like a great morning." Loren tilted her head, "Is that so? Tell me more then." He didn't hesitate. "On my way home, I was riding through the woods, and I came across a woman-" "In the woods? What was she doing there??" Loren questioned, to which Anthony replied, "Questions later." He then continued, "She was riding on a horse, and we sort of found ourselves racing. She was unlike any other woman I'd ever seen." As Anthony launched into his story, Loren found herself plagued with jealousy. It was difficult to listen to the love of her life talk about another woman in awe of her beauty and personality. 

But, she forced a smile upon her face and listened, watching as his handsome face lit up with excitement as he talked about this mysterious woman. "She sounds amazing, Anthony." Loren said once he was finished. "She was..." His smile immediately flipped to a frown, "Although, I doubt I will ever find her again." Loren shook her head, "Do not say that. If she was going to Mayfield, surely she will attend balls and other events. I am sure that you will find her again." Anthony smiled softly, "Thank you, Loren. I appreciate you so much." 

Loren simply nodded and smiled. She could feel the tears stinging her eyes, but she refused to let them fall. Anthony had found himself a woman who he was fascinated by, despite only just meeting. Her heart ached as she stared at the man before her, the man who once held her heart, and still did. Loren yearned for his love, his touch, and wished nothing more than that it could be she who became his Viscountess. 

But that would never be, for this mystery woman now held his heart just as she had, and Anthony was determined to find her. 

-*-*-*-

this chapter is so bad-but whateva

I realized how much of an idiot i've made Anthony to be by refusing to be with Loren despite obviously being in love with her, but it's fineee. It's my fic and I do what I want lol.

Updates will hopefully be more frequent. I will try my best to pick up the pace with the story. 

Also: I started rereading this story, and I just now realized how horrific my latest chapters have been. Like the first twenty or so were so good and descriptive--I just got rlly lazy y'all, so I apologize. I am extremely disappointed in myself and will try to add more details in the future.

Thank you for reading and please comment your thoughts!

also: if you have any Steve Harrington fic recommendations, please drop them in the comments 

-Av