Chapter Thirty-Six

Loren awoke earlier than normal the next morning. She had retired very early the night before, claiming that she was exhausted from the long trip. It was partially true, but she was also exhausted emotionally. Her conversation with Anthony had broken her heart. She had wholeheartedly believed that he would wait for her. 

But he hadn't. Instead, he had decided to start the hunt for a Viscountess. And she would not be part of it. Loren hadn't cried, no man--not even Anthony Bridgerton--deserved her tears. Besides, she needed to be strong. It was Eloise's big day, and she needed all the support she could get.

The woman quickly dressed, adorning a gown similar to the one she wore for Daphne's debut. Once again, she decided to let her dark curls fly freely, seeing as though there was no reason for her to pin it up. Loren opted to for her gloves, but ultimately decided against it for now, considering she was hungry and eager for breakfast.

She exited her room, making her way down the corridor. Loren stopped in front of Eloise's closed door. She rapped her knuckles against the white wooden-door, awaiting an answer. "Who is it?" The younger girl shouted. "It's your favorite person." Loren responded. She heard footsteps rushing around the room and in a mere second, the door was pulled open to reveal a flushed Eloise, her dark hair messy. 

"Are you alright, El?" Loren questioned as she entered the room. The girl shook her head, "I feel ill, I feel terrible. I do not wish to go through with this." She said anxiously. Loren gazed at her with sympathy. She knew that Eloise never wished to debut, but she didn't realize how much it scared the young girl. Loren took her hand, leading her over to the bed, "Eloise, there is no reason to worry." She said as the two took a seat on the edge of her mattress. "You will be fine, Eloise. I understand that you do not wish to go through with this, but I'm afraid this is how life goes. And I assure you, that you will be absolutely stunning." Eloise sighed, "I just wish I had more time. I wish to travel, I wish to learn, but if I am tied down to a man I shall not be able to do any of that."

Loren nodded, understanding the girl all too well. Eloise was intelligent, and very stubborn. She did not wish to have a husband who bosses her around. Eloise wanted to be her own person, not simply just a wife to a rich fool. 

"I believe that you will be happy, Eloise. I really believe that. I can see you now, with a handsome man who listens to all of your ideas, and takes you all the places you wish to go." Eloise smiled softly, "You really think I could be that lucky?" Loren nodded, squeezing the girl's hand encouragingly, "I know so."

-*-*-*-

Loren now stood on the stairs outside of the Bridgerton Household. She had insisted that she wait for Daphne to arrive, considering she was the only Bridgerton--besides Colin--who she hadn't seen yet. The rest of the family were upstairs, standing outside Eloise's room, desperately awaiting for her to be ready. 

It wasn't long before a carriage rolled up in front of the household. A large smile crossed Loren's face as it slowed to a stop. She rushed down the steps as Daphne exited the carriage, a matching smile upon her face, "Loren!" She shouted as the other woman practically tackled her in an embrace. It had been so long since the two had seen one another, and it felt good to be in each others arms again. 

"How have you been?! No one told me you were returning!" Daphne exclaimed as she pulled away. "I have been better--but enough about me, how are you?? How is Simon?? I also heard that you have a child now??" Daphne smiled as she linked arms with the woman, the two returned back inside while Daphne explained all that Loren had missed with her life. Loren was touched and almost moved to tears when she learned that she was deemed Augie's godmother.

The two had finally made it upstairs and joined the rest of the family. They were all crowding around the door, muttering to themselves. Loren quirked a brow, "She's not out yet?" "She requested time." Benedict explained. Daphne rolled her eyes, approaching the door, "We do not have time. Stand back." She stated, to which Anthony replied, "No offense, Sister, but you are the last person she'd like to see." Daphne stared at him with confusion, "What does that mean?" 

"Are you sure she's in there?" Hyacinth asked. "Where else would she be?" Loren retorted, as though it was obvious that she was inside the room. Beside her, Anthony shrugged, "Climbed through the window, the chimney.." Loren rolled her eyes at his antics, but he simply smiled. 

"I left my husband and child at home for this." Daphne muttered as Gregory pressed his ear against the door, "I hear something!" He whisper-shouted. There was a clatter inside, and a groan. Anthony's gloved hand shot for the door handle, but Loren slapped it away. Anthony stared at her, "What was that for??" "Don't just open the door! She needs to come out on her own!" Loren scolded, to which Anthony replied, "You and I both know, my dear, that Eloise will stay in that room as long as possible." Loren tried to ignore the butterflies swarming her stomach at the pet name. It made her insides warm, and she fought a blush that was threatening to spread across her cheeks.

Suddenly, the door before them opened. Maids filed out quickly, and then Eloise appeared, looking as miserable as ever. The family stifled their laughs as Eloise sighed, "If one of you utters a single word..." 

"You look wonderful, Eloise." Loren said with a smile, "But I'm afraid we must be going now, or else we shall be late." At her words, Anthony retrieved his pocket watch from coat pocket, "We are late, actually." Loren glared at him before turning to Eloise again, "As I was saying, we should be going now." 

The family made their way to the couches, which were awaiting outside patiently. The ladies, minus Loren, were all shoved into one carriage, while the men and Loren, per Anthony's request, went into the other one. Loren was at first wary to join the men, but upon remembering that Gregory and Benedict would be there with her, she decided it wasn't that bad of an idea.

Before Eloise entered the carriage, Loren engulfed her into a tight embrace, "Don't feel too pressured, just let it happen. You will be amazing." The girl nodded into her shoulder, "Thank you Loren, I do not think I could survive without you." The two then broke apart, and went their separate ways. Loren climbed into the carriage, and took a seat beside Benedict, across from Gregory and Anthony.

As they made their way to the palace, Loren thought that it would be a nice carriage ride. But she was very wrong, for Anthony wished to discuss his mission, and he wished to discuss it right now.

-*-*-*-

Honestly hate this chapter, but whateva. We're kicking off season two, and I have a lot of plans to get our cuties back together.

Thank you for reading and comment your thoughts!

ALSO please check out my other fics--mainly my JJ Maybank fic if you are an OBX fan, it doesn't have too many views or anything right now, and I just need some opinions on it or else I might just scrap it.

-Av-