Chapter One

Grosvenor Square, 1813

Dearest reader, 

The time has come to place our bets for the upcoming social season. Consider the household of the Baron Featherington. Three misses foisted upon the marriage market like sorrowful sows by their tasteless and tactless mama. Far better odds might exist in the household of the widowed Viscountess Bridgerton. A shockingly prolific family, noted for its bounty of perfectly handsome sons and perfectly beautiful daughters. It also seems that Miss Loren Smith, who has been kept under the Bridgerton's care for many years now, has yet to enter in a social season, and considering the woman's age, this author doubts that this season will be any different for the beauty.

Loren stood at the bottom of the marble staircase, fiddling with her lace gloves as she waited for the rest of the family to be ready. Benedict and Colin Bridgerton stood beside her, dressed in matching ruffled white shirts, dark waistcoats (Benedict wearing blue, while Colin wore black) and black breeches. Loren was clad in a simple cream-colored gown, gold slippers adorning her feet. Her dark curls cascaded freely down her back, for she felt no need to pin back the beauty that was her hair. According to Violet, she had inherited the curls from her Mother, and Loren found that special, considering it was the only feature she had received from her Mother, for she looked like her Father, not that she ever knew him. She had found a home with the Bridgerton's. Violet had become her Mother, and Edmund had become her Father, and she missed him dearly. She had become close with the Bridgerton children, and they had become her own siblings. And she had found a best friend in Anthony Bridgerton. The connection between the two was special, everyone could see it. Except for the two of them of course. 

They were attached at the hip as children. They would do everything together, whether it was Pall-Mall, or horseback riding, there was even a time where the two shared a room. Although, it was only for a weekend. When Violet returned from her weekend outing, she had scolded Edmund, claiming that it wasn't proper for the two to share a room, to which Edmund responded, "They're just kids Vi, let them have fun."

Even as adults, the two were closer than ever. Although, the viscount was a busy man, he always made time for her. It was Anthony and Loren, the dynamic duo. 

"Ugh, I'm roasting already!" Eloise complained as she trudged down the staircase, followed by Francesca and Hyacinth. Loren rolled her eyes, a smirk gracing her face, "Are you going to complain the entire day, Eloise?" She questioned as the three girls stopped before her. "Surely I cannot be expected to bear these fashions the entire day." Before Loren could respond, Hyacinth spoke up,"I feel like a princess! Do I look like one?" She asked, twirling around to show off her dress. "Hyacinth, do you truly wish to know what I think you look like?" Benedict asked teasingly, to which he received a glare from Loren. 

"On your left!" Shouted the second youngest Bridgerton as he clamored down the stairs, shoving Hyacinth as he ran past. "Gregory, do not run!" Loren called after him, although he did not listen. "Is our dear sister still not ready?" Benedict asked, knowing that if they did not leave soon, they would be late. "She's only been readying herself the entire night." Francesca stated. "Only her whole life," Eloise mumbled in annoyance. "Well, I shall run upstairs and hasten her along." Colin suggested as he approached the stairs. He didn't make it very far though, for Benedict followed behind, "Colin, wait I'll do it." Loren smiled, realizing exactly where this conversation was going. "She likes me much better than you, Benedict." 

The older Bridgerton's face was priceless. "Did she say that?" Colin shrugs, "Everyone says that." Benedict, offended, glanced at Loren, "Do you like Colin better than me?" He asked, wanting a second opinion. "Well, Benny, I have to say Anthony is my favorite, but you come in a close second." Loren teased, before returning to a serious note, "Speaking of Anthony, does anyone know where he is?" The two boys shook their heads, and were about to begin their argument again when Eloise groaned loudly before shouting, "Daphne! You must make haste!" Everyone froze at the sound, shocked at the girl's behavior, but then  again, it was Eloise. The girl spun around, a satisfied smile on her face, "Should you think she heard me?" 

"I'm positive that she did." Loren said, her voice laced with sarcasm. Loren was proven to be correct for not a moment later, Daphne Bridgerton appeared at the top of the staircase. Her golden locks were pinned back, large white feathers adorning her head. Her gown was stunning, it was cream-colored, embroidered with gold. She held her head high as she descended down the stairs. "Daphne, you look gorgeous." Loren complimented as Daphne reached the bottom of the steps. "Thank you, Loren." Daphne replied with a smile.

Now that Daphne had joined them, the Bridgerton's and Loren headed outside toward the carriages. Daphne quickly, but delicately, climbed into the main carriage. Benedict, followed by Loren, approached a horse. Loren had originally planned to ride with Anthony, but he had yet to make his appearance, so she'd have to settle for riding with Benedict. 

As Benedict helped Loren onto his horse, Violet approached the pair. "Any sign of Anthony?" She asked, her questioned directed more toward Loren then Benedict. "I haven't seen him since last night. We were in his study, and I fell asleep. Woke up and he was gone. No note, nothing." Violet sighed, "If he is to be obeyed as Lord Bridgerton, he must act like Lord Bridgerton." And with that, Violet walked toward the carriage to join Daphne. 

Loren's mind wandered as to where Anthony could possibly be. He would never miss such a momentous occasion for the family. So where was he? 

"Are you ready my lady?" Benedict asked in a teasing tone as he gripped the reins. Loren smiled, all thoughts of Anthony disappearing, "Of course Benny, let's ride.