Chapter Twenty-Five

Anthony found himself seated in his study, fiddling with his father's pocket watch. His anxiety was off the charts. The memories of the night replayed in his mind. He never believed that he would be forced to duel with his best friend. He felt stupid. Ever since the age of eighteen, Anthony had been forced into the role of Viscount. He had to step into his Father's shoes and take care of the family. And now, death was now a possibility. If he died at Simon's hand, he would be letting down the family, and they would fall into mourning once more. 

His thoughts drifted to Loren. How would she react if he were to die? She was so broken after Edmund, but she forced a brave smile just as Anthony did to support the family. The man sighed as he thought of the possibilities. She would completely shatter. His heart hurt just thinking about it. But there was no turning back now, the decision was made. He would duel Simon in a mere hour. Anthony placed the pocket watch gently upon the desktop, and grabbed a folded piece of parchment.  It was a letter addressed to Loren. He had spent hours attempting to write something to express how he was feeling. If he were to die, Loren would never know the true reason. He wanted nothing more than to wake her, to spend the rest of the night in his study together. But he would not feed into his desires, for Loren was ill, and needed to make a full recovery. 

His thoughts drifted to Sienna for a split second, but immediately vanished. She was of no importance now. The soprano had made her choice, she would not be his fool and he had finally accepted that. A knock on the study door drew the man out of his thoughts. "Come in." He said softly. The door was pushed open to reveal Benedict, who held an uncertain expression upon his face, "We should be going. It's almost time." Anthony simply nodded, rising from his seat, shoving his pocket watch into his coat pocket. 

Before he left the study, he placed the letter into his desk drawer for safe-keeping. Benedict already had a hunch as to who the letter was for, but he stayed silent. The Bridgerton brothers exited the room, heading toward the staircase, but Anthony halted before they could descend. Benedict stared at his brother, confused, "What is it?" 

"I have to do something. I will not be long." Anthony replied. Benedict only nodded, watching as Anthony walked down the corridor, stopping before Loren's door. Quietly, he pushed open the door, revealing Loren's sleeping figure. She looked so peaceful, snuggled beneath her blanket. Anthony approached her, a look of affection in his eyes. He now stood before her, and sadness hit him. If he were to die, this would be the last time he would ever see her. Tears stung the man's eyes as he kneeled beside the bed. He gently lifted his hand, brushing away a few strands of hair from her face. She was so beautiful, and he wanted to admire her forever. 

But sadly, the was not the case. Anthony sighed deeply as he caressed her cheek, "Sleep well, Loren," He whispered as he gently pressed a kiss upon her forehead, "I love you."

***

Loren was woken up rudely by Daphne shaking her. A dull ache occupied the woman's head, but overall she was feeling a little better, but she was still very unhappy about being woken up. "Daph! Whatever are you doing? It is too early." She groaned, sitting up, running a hand through her curls. The girl's face held an expression of fear, "Loren! You must get up, it is serious!" The woman sighed, "Daphne, what could be so important this early in the morning?" 

"Anthony and Simon are dueling at dawn, Loren!"
All time seemed to stand still at her words. Anthony was to duel Simon. Anthony was dueling. Anthony could die. She could not let this happen. Loren rose immediately, "What happened?" She demanded, pulling a blue silk robe over her cream-colored satin chemise, sliding her feet into her slippers as Daphne spoke, "Anthony found Simon and I in the garden. Simon-he-he kissed me, and he refused to marry me, so Anthony challenged him to a duel." Loren could barely process the reason for the duel, but her main focus was on Anthony.