Chapter Five

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display. Titled, chaste, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth. Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as "the spinster.

Loren despised social events. Especially balls. 
She found the debutantes ball to be very overwhelming, and would much rather stay home in the safety of her home. But, she wanted to be there to support Daphne, for it was her first ball as a 'Diamond of the first water'. 

Anthony had arrived home just an hour before the ball, and he was visibly shaken. Loren had made an attempt to try and talk with the grumpy man, but he had locked himself in his study, obviously wanting to be alone. This led Loren to feel concerned for the eldest Bridgerton. Something had happened while he was out, and he obviously did not wish to discuss it with anyone. So, Loren decided to wait until after the ball to confront the man, for she did not wish to make a scene.

The Bridgerton's had arrived at the Danbury ball at a reasonable time. It was a rare occasion for the family to arrive on time, for there were so many family members. The ballroom was beautifully decorated. Lady Danbury had indeed outdone herself this time. Loren's eyes sweeped the large room as she followed the family inside. Benedict and Colin dispersed immediately into the crowd, most likely heading toward the refreshments. Daphne was practically glued to her mother's side, which left Anthony and Loren. 

Anthony glanced at the woman, his dark eyes meeting hers. He gazed intensely at her for a moment before immediately breaking eye contact. Loren watched as he followed his mother and sister toward the dance floor. She was now standing alone, surrounded by people. She was going to spend the night with Daphne, Anthony, and Violet.But she honestly had no desire to be around the eldest Brother, so she decided to search for the other Bridgerton brothers. The woman first found the refreshments table, for she believed that is where at least one of the brothers would reside.

And she was exactly right, Benedict stood beside the refreshment table, a glass of cool lemonade in his hand. A puzzled look washed over his features as she approached, "Loren? What're you doing over here? I assumed you'd spent the night by Anthony and Daph ." "Well, Anthony is being quite grumpy this evening, so I have resorted to spending time with you, Benny." Loren explained as she grabbed herself a glass of lemonade. Benedict shrugged, "Well, it is in Anthony's nature to be grumpy." "That is very true. But I find that I do not wish to deal with his attitude tonight, which is why I will be spending my time with you." The woman stated simply as she sipped her drink.

"He'll come around. He always does. And we all know that you will be the first one whom he approaches once his brooding is over." Benedict said, for he knew that Anthony could only go so long without being near the woman. It was as though she was his anchor in a sort of way, she was something that he couldn't live without. Loren had no response, for she knew that Benedict was right. Suddenly, Benedict noticed two specific people in the large crowd of people. He set down his glass, fixing his gaze on Loren, "Come on," He whispered, extending his hand toward her. Loren arched an eyebrow, "What?" 

"We need to go save Daphne from Anthony. He's been scaring off suitors left and right!" Benedict exclaimed. Loren shook her head slightly, a dry laugh falling from her lips, "Oh of course he is. I wouldn't be surprised." "Exactly, which is why we must go and save her from his clutches." Benedict stated. "You are making him sound like the antagonist in a children's book."Loren said as she accepted Benedict's hand. "In this case, he is. Anthony is the evil dragon, whom is keeping the princess, which is Daphne, captive. And you, my dear Loren, are the knight, clad in shining armor who will tame the beast and save the princess!" 

Loren tried to hold in her laughter, but ultimately failed, for Benedict's comparison was just too humorous to not laugh about. Her laugh seemed to echo throughout the ballroom, until it finally reached Anthony's ears. The man had been distracted by helping Daphne find proper suitors, (although he was actually scaring any man who approached the young lady). With his arm linked with Daphne's, he glanced around the ballroom, determined to find where Loren was. It had taken him two sweeps of the ballroom, until he found her. She was beside Benedict, who was escorting her across the ballroom, preferably to where he and Daphne were. 

Benedict met the eldest Bridgerton's gaze before calling out, "Anthony! Daph!" Daphne whipped her head around to face the pair, a smile on her face as the two approached them. "Greetings Daphne, we are here to save you from the grumpy dragon who is guarding you." Benedict stated, to which Anthony sent him a glare before shifting his gaze to Loren, "And I suppose you are the reason for this?" 

"Actually, it was Benny. He can be quite creative when he uses his brain." Loren said with a smirk. Benedict, feeling slightly offended, was thinking of a clever comeback when Colin joined them, a bright smile on his face, "Hello sister, brothers, and Loren. Has Mother told you about my tour? I'm too begin in Greece." Loren, who always wanted to travel to Greece, responded excitingly, "How adventurous, Colin! You must send me letters of your experiences." 

Anthony was glancing around the ballroom when he noticed a specific someone approaching the group. "On guard!" He said in a hushed tone. The other brothers acknowledged the warning and immediately attempted to blend in with the crowd. But Lady Danbury had keen eyes, and already caught sight of the three men. 

"Too late, I already noted you."  

Loren stifled a laugh as the boys whirled around to face the older woman, bowing before her. "Lady Danbury!" Anthony and Benedict greeted, while at the same time Colin said, "Good evening." Although Lady Danbury was paying more attention to the Bridgerton girl, "Miss Bridgerton, you look rather lovely this evening. Is there a reason I've yet to see you on the dance floor?" She questioned, already knowing that the eldest brother was indeed the true reason. Daphne simply responded, "All in good time, Lady Danbury." 

The woman nodded before focusing her attention on Loren, "You look very nice as well, Miss Smith. I must say I am also surprised as to why I have not seen you on the dance floor. I thought Mr. Bridgerton would've asked you for a dance, but alas, it seems as though I was wrong." She said, her eyes flitting to Anthony, who met the older woman's gaze. 

A sigh of defeat escaped Anthony's lips as he unlatched his arm from Daphne's, and instead extended it toward Loren, "Can I have this dance?" He questioned, annoyance evident in his tone as he sent a glare toward Lady Danbury, who just smirked in response. Loren, who was now feeling pressured under the hardened gaze of the older woman, responded immediately, "You may, My Lord." She stated, accepting his gloved hand. Anthony began leading the woman toward the dance floor, but before he did, he glanced at Benedict sending him a look. This look basically meant 'Keep an eye on Daphne or I will strangle you'. Benedict only nodded, for he did fear that Anthony would strangle him. 

A new song began just in time as the couple made their way toward the dance floor, unaware of the speculation that would soon occur from a single dance. For Lady Whistledown had her keen eyes on the couple, and was determined to expose their supposed love to the entirety of the ton.