🍃 ᴍʏ ᴡɪsʜ 🍃

You make your wishes to a Xiao Lantern during Lantern Rite! Will it come true?

With Ningguang and Beidou by my side, we walked along Liyue Harbor. We watched as people let a few lanterns fly. It is Lantern Rite after all. "Who will you be writing your wishes and hopes to this year (Y/N)?" Beidou asks with a large grin. She's probably gotten into some liquor already.

"The adeptus from the book again..!" I smile somewhat shyly, he may not even exist but it's not like I anyone ever asks for something physical anyways. People wish for health, wealth, or fortune in an emotional way. I've always asked for protection, while everything else may be important, it's just not for me. I won't lie however, seeing Ningguang's wealth does make me somewhat envious at times. "What about you Ningguang!" I asked genuinely curious.

"Hmm.. I was hoping for more wealth." Beidou and I both give her a look, to which she laughs at. "I kid. I will wishing for health this year, however I'm sure our dear Beidou will be asking for more wealth. A bountiful treasure chest with each of her adventures." She chuckles while Beidou gives her a small glare.

"You may not be wrong, but I was also asking for fortune in a different way." People also ask for love, I wonder how many people set off their lanterns and receive the wish they truly hoped for. As we go to the lantern stand I notice kids floating their lanterns. I remember asking for love when I was younger. I guess the adepti would never grant such a silly wish to a kid. I chuckle slightly. As we write on our lanterns they announce the show will soon start. Many like to release their lantern then, however few manage to catch fire with fireworks. I wonder if those wishes them become invalid. Protect me again this year Conquerer Of Demons. I return the paint and wait for the show to start. We all look up and soon release our lantern. I watch as mine floats off getting close to see, before getting lost behind many more. Once the show was over we headed off to go get some food.

Xiao's POV

I watch as one of the lanterns come close to the river. "It's almost time that those gods ill will strike again." I mutter under my breath. Liyue's customs may be hard to understand, but archons they're beautiful. I go down to the river to help the lantern out slightly, I don't get send off lanterns every year. It's not like anyone is watching either. I grab the Xiao Lantern and read it's inscription. "Protect me again this year Conquerer Of Demons.". My eyes widen slightly, I don't believe the traveler came by this year, nor would they call me by that. So who.. I don't believe any of the other beings would write this, so a mortal. A mortal knows of me? Could it be the same mortal from the years before? Or perhaps that one mortal who causes a ruckus the year before? Yes, that has to be it.

-3 Nights After Lantern Rite-

Your POV
As I wander Dihua March the tall grass brush against my knees. I love hearing it sway in the wind, especially on chilly nights like these. As I wander close to the water a few frogs dance around me. I hum something quietly, just enjoying the breeze of the night. I close my eyes, putting my hand out to touch the grass. Suddenly a noise falls upon my ears, my eyes shoot open. It's hilichurls, and I didn't bring my weapon out tonight. I slowly back up, they haven't noticed me despite being only 3 feet away. As I'm stepping away, I step on a crab that crunches extremely loud. I'm so sorry crab!!! I don't bother to look at the poor creature, instead I keep my eyes on them. Their chatter grows and they see me. I see there's an abyss mage, if it's cryo attacks manage to hit me, my feet will be frozen to the sand. Crap crap crap.. Think (Y/N), of a distraction, anything! I hurriedly run, getting away from the river. But their arrows shoot at me and the abyss mage is getting ready to teleport. "Someone.." I'm beginning to run out of breath. "Help!" Why are they still following me! I look back and the abyss mage disappears, I turn back to the front. It's aura is right in front of me. I back peddle and trip over my own feet. I shield my face with my arms as I watch it wave it's wand around, however all I feel is a quick breeze and a sudden warmth enveloping me. Am I dead?

"Can you stand?" It's a guy's voice. My eyes open and I see my savior. We're away from the mage and hilichurls who look toward us. The tips of his hair are teal and his eyes shine like sun, he's beautiful. My eyes widen as I realize he's holding me.

"Yes!" He places me down gently and I stare in awe. "I'm (Y/N) thank you for-"

"Enough of the pleasantries, I have a job to do." No later than a second he's fighting them, finishing them off hastily. As the mage is about to be defeated it shoots an ice crystal at me, little shit. It narrowly misses and I walk over to my savior.

"Thank you for saving me, as I was trying to say earlier. Who are you?" Out of all the stories I've about adepti, he isn't one of them. Could it be hes Atlatus!? He's real, and he's come to my aid!? The lantern worked then!

"My name is Xiao, don't wear out my name." I sigh somewhat disappointed. Never mind, he's the adepti I heard who hangs around the Wangshu Inn. They've never really described his appearance to me however. "Disappointed now?" He scoffs.

"It's just that.. I read of the Yakshas who used to banish evil, that one still survived. I wonder if he's still out there, I've written a lantern to him ever since I read the book." I stare off at the moon, he must be so lonely, times back the were so harsh.

"That was you?" My eyes widen and I look back to him.

"What are you talking about?" What did I do? Write the lantern?

"The lantern was you, I thought it might've been the same guy who caused a ruckus a while back. Seems not, it's strange to know that some people know of me from then." My eyes widen so much they might as well pop out of my skull.

"It is you!" He takes a step back as I step towards him with joy. "Thank you for listening to my wishes, even if unintentional."

"Mortals are so strange, I would've left you in the cross fire had you not looked so pitiful." My face drops and I laugh nervously. "That being said, if that mage did hurt you, I'm sure the Inn owner would have recovery supplies." A split second later a large gust of wind washed over me and he disappeared. I do suppose that means if I go to the inn I'll be able to see him. Seems this year has already filled me with fortune.

╭──︒✿ཾ∘∗✽ᜒࠬ. ──╮
Artist @ mauve_art on Twitter
╰──︒✿ཾ∘∗✽ᜒࠬ. ──╯