🍃 ғɪʀᴇᴡᴏʀᴋs 🍃 -1-

You realize your silly crush for Xiao should probably come to an end, so you try to move on. Is that the right choice?

The air is crisp, filled with the scent of delicious food, and soon fireworks. I worked up the courage to ask Xiao to watch the fireworks with me this year. Ganyu managed to catch wind and came with me. Xiao stands next to me and Ganyu next to him. The fireworks started sooner than I expected and my face lights up seeing them, they're magnificent. I look toward Xiao, wanting to see his reaction, but he's staring over at Ganyu. My eyes widen slightly, before a sad smile comes over me. The fireworks are only midway through, but I'm getting a little too emotional over this. He's just looking at her, well more smiling. Did he want to see the way she look at them as I wanted to do with him? I walk off the balcony to go down to the river to splash my face with some water. Just as everyone said, getting involved with Xiao would be a bad idea. He's constantly tugging on my heartstrings, I'm not sure how much more I can take. As I'm reaching one of the floors Xiao manages to come in front of me. I hide my face with my hand, pretending I have a headache. "Are you ok (Y/N)?" His voice is as flat as ever, but I know he's asking with genuine care.

"My head hurts a little, go back with Ganyu and watch the fireworks. They're almost over." I squeeze my eyes closed, tears are welling up in them.

"You said you wanted to watch them with me." I've seen all I've needed to tonight, I have to move on. I'm not getting anywhere with him.

"I just.. it's ok. Go back up." He sighs disappointed, however he disappears hastily. I put my hand down and let the tears flow down my cheeks as I go down to the river. I splash my face with the ice cold water and dry it off with my shirt. "I guess this year just wasn't meant to be my year." I take in a deep breath, but it's interrupted by Xiao's voice.

"What do you mean by that?" He sits down beside me, making me too nervous to talk. He says he doesn't understand mortals, how could he understand what I'm feeling? Jealously over something minor, disappointment over my rejected feelings, and even love for someone who could never feel the same. I look over at him, a frown quickly appearing on my face.

"You say you don't understand mortals Xiao, so why do you try and understand me?" His eyes widen slightly, but he returns to his blank face.

"I'm curious about people, though I may not show it often it's true. You're the only one I can talk freely with, I can ask you and you won't turn to look at me weirdly." I give him a slight smile, so he feels comfortable around me. My feelings for him are just silly.

"I see, thank you. I'll be heading back to Liyue then." I get up brushing my knees and slightly wringing small parts of my hair.

"So late? That's more than a little dangerous (Y/N), have the inn keeper give you a room. It shouldn't be an issue." I suppose he's not wrong, but I doubt there's any vacancy at the moment. He go back up through the elevator and head up to Verr.

"Are there any free rooms Verr?" I ask, knowing the answer.

"There aren't, during Lantern Rite we're usually booked. People love the food and the view of the fireworks, even if they manage to miss the show in the harbor. Many just don't like the crowd." There's plenty of reasons for people to ask for a room here. I look back at Xiao and shrug.

"I'll be heading back it seems, it's not like Ganyu isn't doing the same." I say with a sigh.

"It's different, she's an adeptus you're not!" Is that what makes us different?