Chapter 16

SUNDAY
12:00PM

"Mom, I don't wanna talk about this", said Jordan.

"I just wanna know what happened. You came here last night all mopey and now your back with your things. What happened? I'm concerned", said Jordan's mom.

"Concerned because I probably broke up with a guy who is rich or concerned because I'm going through a break up?", asked Jordan.

"Now Jordan, you know I have always cared about your well being. Yours and Mahogany. Does he have money? Yes. Do I like that you found somebody with money? Yes. What parent wouldn't? He can support you not only emotionally, physically but also financially...but to answer your question I am concerned about your well-being. You haven't been the same since Tyquez got shot", said Jordan's mom.

"...that night", said Jordan as she started tearing up. "That night I went to the house because Alexis needed some diapers and milk...Hakeem was there. I was scared because I didn't know why or what he was going to do. I was also mad and mourning because of Tyquez's condition. I didn't know if he was going to make it. It was my fault...I should've left him alone but I didn't...anyways...Hakeem wouldn't leave...he got too close and I- I- killed him"

"Oh my goodness", said her mom.

"I know...I should've went to jail.", said Jordan.

"...it was self defense", said her mom.

"But he didn't—"

"It was self defense", her mom repeated.

Jordan looked down.

"...after I did that, I've been mourning. I felt like my heart was ripped out of my chest but I had to act okay so Tyquez and I wouldn't get into a fight and break up because I still cared about Hakeem after what he put us through", said Jordan. "But I held all that in for nothing because here I am. Single because he decided to kiss another women"

"...that isn't okay but...it could've been worse", said her mom.

"He lied to me and I believed him. He's a good liar mom and I do not want to be lied to", said Jordan. "If it's no trust, how do you expect a relationship to last"

"...trust comes with strength. What I mean by that is...sometimes you or your partner my disagree, may keep secrets, may do something that would hurt the other but it's about learning to control yourself or themself. If they can't control themselves and if they continue to betray you then, no. There isn't any strength within the relationship. If they can control themselves and learn from their mistakes then there is some type of strength within the relationship to keep it moving...strength doesn't come easy sometimes. Sometimes you need help. Sometimes you have to find the crack in the foundation, in order to build", said Jordan's mom.

"...so what? You think we should go to therapy or something?", asked Jordan.

"It could help. I think you guys need it", said Jordan's mom. "Especially due to your past relationship. I don't think you gave yourself time to bounce back. You just jumped into another relationship with someone else. I was concerned at first but you seemed happy...but even I should know that you're good at faking happiness. You've done it during your whole marriage"

Jordan sighs.

"...don't get me wrong. Tyquez makes me so happy. I mean I was willing to marry him for goodness sake. How can he ask me to marry him after he did that. I don't understand", said Jordan.

"That's where talking comes into play. You brushed it off at first and ignored the topic...in order to get over something, you need answers", said Jordan's mom. "To get answers, you have to ask questions"

Jordan nods.

"While I let you gather your thoughts and get your mind together, I'm going to go upstairs and check on Alexis", said Jordan's mom.

"You don't have to. I'll check on her", said Jordan.

"No, I will. I did something that you may be mad at me about but I felt like it was needed...especially after he called me before you got here", said Jordan's mom.

"So you already knew what happened and you're taking his side. I am your daughter", said Jordan.

"I'm not taking his side. I'm taking yours... like you said you're happy with him and I can tell that he really feels like he made a mistake that he won't make again."

"He's a good liar", said Jordan.

"Look I understand that he lied about what he did. You lie, other people lie. But there's times when we don't lie for malicious reasons, it's because we are scared of the outcome of something we regret doing. I dont have to see him to know how he feels, I can hear it in his voice", said Jordan's mom. "...you call him a liar but Jordan you have been lying to him this whole time"

"What?", asked Jordan.

"Hakeem... you still love that man. You just said it", said Jordan's mom.

Jordan looks to the side.

"I'm not saying that it's wrong for you to be single right now because it isn't. But I don't think that you guys should end things for good... just for a little while. I think that he is the one for you as long as you two do right by each other", said Jordan's mom.

Suddenly the doorbell rang.

"That is probably him. Have him bring Marcus upstairs", said Jordan's mom.

"..alright", said Jordan.

TO BE CONTINUED...

I'll put Tyquez's and Jordan's conversation in the next chapter.