The Talk

Nebula: You're leaving me with that fox and those coyotes?

I was insulted. Peter, Gamora, and Drax are going with Ego and Mantis to stay with them for a little bit. I was still worried but I knew Peter. He's not stupid.

You know what? I lied. He is stupid.

We're staying behind to fix the ship and babysit Nebula. It could be worse.

Gamora: He's not a fox. Shoot her if she does anything suspicious. Or if you feel like it.

She was talking to Rocket and referring to Nebula.

Rocket wasn't paying much attention while he was fixing the ship.

Zoe: You know, Gamora? Maybe you should talk to her. I mean, she is your sister.

Gamora: She tried to kill me.

Zoe: Maybe there's more her than you think.

Gamora just decided to brush that aside.

Gamora saw Groot crying.

Gamora: Hey, it's just for a couple of days. We'll be back before Rocket, Blake and Zoe are done fixing the ship.

Groot waved goodbye.

Zoe: It's okay. They'll be back.

I hope they will.

Drax: What if the Sovereign come?

Quill: There's no way for them to know we're here. Let's go.

Drax: I'm uncertain about parting ways.

Quill: God, you're like an old woman.

Drax: Because I'm wise?

Gamora: Why do you have so much luggage?

Drax: I don't want Groot playing with my things.

As Peter walked by Rocket.

Rocket: Hope Daddy isn't a big an idiot as you. Orphan boy.

Seriously? What is his problem?

Quill: What is your goal, here? To get everyone to hate you? Cause it's working.

Blake: Hey, man.

He looked at me.

Blake: I'll talk to him. You both just need some time to cool off. Remember when we stole the orb?

Quill: That's different.

Blake: Maybe it isn't.

He decided to brush that aside as well.

Quill: We'll be back soon. Take care of your woman.

Later that night, we were resting from fixing the ship. We just need to make a few more repairs.

Zoe brought Nebula some food.

Nebula: I don't need anything from any of you.

Zoe: Find. I'll just leave it hear in case you need it.

Rocket: Zoe. If she doesn't want it, she doesn't want it. Just take it away from her.

Zoe: Why should I deprive the prisoner of her nutrients so that she should die?

Nebula: I'd rather die than be sold of in a prison. Or spend another day with the likes of you. Why are trying to be nice?

Zoe: You're Gamora's sister.

Nebula: She hates me. She's no sister of mine. She took everything away from me.

Zoe: What do you mean by--

Nebula: JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!

She threw the tray of food at her. Zoe dodged.

Zoe came over to me.

Blake: Hard time?

Zoe: I just wanted to see if she could have a change of heart. What did happen between her and Gamora?

Blake: Gamora never told me. All I know is that Nebula nearly tried to kill us last time we met.

Zoe: I hope they make peace. And I hope you, Quill, and Rocket make peace, yourselves.

Blake: Peace, to some people, is just a fairytale.

Zoe: Is it to you?

I paused.

Zoe: Blake. Go talk to him.

I gave in.

Blake: Alright. But like it should do any good.

I went over to Rocket.

Blake: So.

I started.

Blake: Things got a little out of hand, today.

Rocket: I don't wanna talk about it.

He started to walk away.

Blake: You know Quill and I took the orb from Yondu just to prove we're better than him.

Rocket stood still.

Blake: Is that what you're trying to do, Rocket? Prove you're better than everyone? Than us? Than Ayesha?

Rocket: You saw the way she talked down on us like we were lower life forms and she's the one to put her feet on us.

Blake: Oh, Rocket, Rocket, Rocket. You steal. You want. You want to steal. You hate. You want to hate people. All because you feel like you're being picked on for the kind of thing you were made to be.

He started to get angry.

Rocket: You shut your mouth before I shoot you.

Blake: That's my point. You feel hated. You hate and you want to hurt. Is that what I'm getting from you, Rocket?

I was getting him to crack.

Rocket: I said "Stop it".

Blake: So tell me. Why'd you want to steal those batteries? Or better yet, what is your endgame in this?

Rocket: Just shut up! You don't know anything about me! Were you a lab experiment?! Did you spend everyday of your life being made fun of?! Laughed at?! Yeah, I made enemies! I stole because I hated those who made fun of me! Those who created me! I wanted to watch those people suffer!

He started crying.

Rocket: And then I meet Quill, and he acts like he's always the boss of me.

Now we're getting someplace.

Blake: Look, Rocket. I understand. Before Yondu found me, after I lost my home, people made fun of me, too. People chased me for stealing. I hated that. So, you're saying you're an orphan.

Rocket straightened up.

Rocket: I don't need a family on my back all the time. I do fine on my own.

He was about to head out.

Rocket: If anyone needs me, I'll be setting up traps for intruders.

He left.

Zoe: What happened?

Blake: I knew that was a bad idea.