A Ravenger Funeral: Father and Son

We all gathered things, and Yondu's body for a funeral on the ship. Zoe stood next to me.

Peter: I told Gamora how when I was a kid, I used to pretend that David Hasselhoff was my dad.

We all looked at him, but I knew he would explain.

Peter: He's a singer and actor from Earth, really famous guy. Earlier, it struck me. Yondu didn't have a talking car but he did have a flying arrow. He didn't have the beautiful voice of an angel, but he had the whistle of one. Both Yondu and Hasselhoff went off on kick-off adventures and hooked up with hot women and fought robots. I guess David Hasselhoff did kind of end up being my dad after all. Only it was you, Yondu.

Gamora touched Peter's shoulder in response, to comfort.

Peter: Blake, you were right. I had a pretty cool Dad. I'm sorry I didn't listen to you, before.

I smiled at that.

Peter: What I'm trying to say here is that sometimes that thing you're searching for your whole life is right there by your side all along. You don't even know it.

Gamora looked at Nebula standing in the corner. Nebula walked off. Gamora walked after her.

Groot: I am Groot.

Rocket: He did call you a twig.

We wheeled Yondu off into the thruster to cremate the body.

We were about to walk off when Kraglin called us.

Kraglin: Pete. Captain found this for you in a junker shop. Said you'd come back to the fold someday.

Kraglin held out a device for Peter.

Pete: What is it?

Kraglin: It's called a Zune. It's what everybody's listening to on Earth nowadays. It's got 300 songs on it.

Peter: 300 songs.

Kraglin nodded. He was about to walk off but Peter called him.

Peter: Wait.

Kraglin turned around.

Peter pulled the yaka arrow from his boot. It was fully fixed. He presented it to Kraglin.

Peter: Rocket grabbed the pieces and reassembled them. I think Yondu would want you to have it.

Kraglin looked up, tearfully.

Kraglin: Thanks. Captain.

Peter smiled.

Blake: Yondu never meant to make you feel neglected, Kraglin.

Kraglin: I know. He was a great captain.

Later on, we heard fireworks.

Me and Zoe gathered up against the window.

Rocket: They came.

There were ships lining up outside with beautiful colors.

Drax: What is it?

Rocket: I sent word to Yondu's old Ravenger buddies, and told them what he did.

I smiled at him.

Blake: You? You did that?

Rocket nodded.

Peter: It's a Ravenger funeral.

Gamora stood next to Peter to look.

Groot hopped onto her shoulder and she cradled him.

They shot fireworks and colors around them.

Rocket: He didn't chase them away.

Peter: No.

Rocket: Even though he yelled at them. And was always mean. And he stole batteries he didn't need.

Peter looked at him, realizing what he was saying.

Peter: Well, of course not.

Groot wanted to go to Drax's arms and he fell asleep. Drax cradled him.

Gamora looked at Peter in awe.

Peter looked at her, goofily.

Peter: What?

Gamora: It's just some unspoken thing.

Peter nodded. Knowing what she was talking about. They put their arms around each other, embracing this new feeling for each other.

Mantis: It's beautiful.

Drax: It is. And so are are you. On the inside.

Zoe: It's so beautiful. It reminds of the time

Blake: When we went to the mountains to watch the Aurora borealis together.

Zoe looked at me in awe.

Zoe: You remember.

Blake: I do. I never forgotten. I was just scared of where my loyalty lies.

Zoe looked at me.

Blake: It lies with everyone here. And with you.

Zoe looked at me lovingly.

We both kissed a better kiss than before.

We all watched the spectacle in awe, especially of the one shaped like an arrow. The spirit of Yondu will live forever, in our hearts.