• fourteen •

A/N: 2 chapters in a week!! Yayy!! I'll try and see if I can update another chapter this week, depending on how busy I am.

Feel free to critique my writing! I'm open to ways where/how I can improve my writing!

(H/c) - hair colour
(E/c) - eye colour
(S/c) - skin colour
(R/n) - random name

_____

• fourteen •

• fourteen •

(m/n) watched from the sidelines as they had sorted their line-up and greeted the other team. He watched as the referee, Narita, had gotten up on the stand as he motioned his hand over to the visiting teams side blowing the whistle to signal the start of the game.

The game proceeded smoothly with the team attempting their new tricks and attacks, occasionally messing up with Daichi and the other’s reassuring them. (m/n) watched and his mind had shifted back to his middle school days.

He could see them.

The happy team they were, with Akaashi beside him with, being his co-captain. However, that was just merely a façade. In all his years of being the captain and ace, an overwhelming sense of fear had always haunted him. No matter how hard he tried, no matter how much he achieved it always seemed for naught.

“(m/n), Coach is calling you,” Ennoshita spoke as he placed his hand on (m/n)’s shoulder, “(m/n)? You, okay?”

(m/n) blinked and looked at Ennoshita seeing the concern written all over his face, a small smile graced (m/n)’s lips as he nodded and made his way over to the bench where Ukai, Takeda, Kiyoko, and Yachi were sitting on.

“Yes?” (m/n) asked, mustering a smile.

“(m/n) come sit and put this on.” Ukai said as he pulled out a black coloured bib.

“Wait, you’re putting me in? Why?” (m/n) asked as he hesitantly took the bib from Ukai’s hand.

“Because we obviously have to put you in at some point,” Ukai smiled, “call it preparing for when you join the team.”

“I see…” (m/n) quietly replied as he sat beside the adult.

Yachi looked at (m/n) and tilted her head, (m/n) raised his head and looked at Yachi with an eyebrow raised.

“Is something wrong? Hito-chin?” (m/n) asked.

“Ah! No! It’s just that… you looked quite… conflicted…” Yachi answered her eyes landing on the ground making the second-year chuckle and ruffle her hair.

“I’ll be alright, don’t worry.” (m/n) said as the whistle blew, confirming the end of the first set with Karasuno winning the first set with ease.

“You’re all doing great, there are some minor mistakes you’re making but I’m sure you’ve all caught on to that,” Ukai noted, “I have no complaints in how you’re all playing, just be yourselves and play how you usually do!”

“Osu!”

“Azumane, it’s time to switch.” Ukai said as he pointed over to (m/n) who had his head down.

Asahi looked at (m/n) and approached him, patting his shoulder, and giving him a reassuring smile, “don’t worry (m/n), you’ll do great!”

(m/n) smiled weakly and nodded before joining the others on the court. He greeted everyone with a smile and readied himself in his position. He looked down at his hand, noticing it’s slight shake making him shake his head and looked up, attempting to pay attention to the other teams serve.

The serve was easy to receive and Nishinoya got it up smoothly over to Kageyama’s position. At once, everyone secured their running distance and ran towards the net with their eyes glued to the ball as Kageyama set the ball over to Hinata performing their new quick. The single blocker attempted to block Hinata, but the ginger head went for a cross. The libero of the opposing team quickly dove for the ball, barely getting it up.

“Sorry its short!” The libero yelled.

“Got it!” The setter yelled and set it over to the right-wing spiker. (M/n) and Hinata shifted over to the other side, jumping in unison. The spiker grunted as he aimed for a block out, (m/n) was quick to realise this and quickly moved his hands down. The ball soared above his head and over to Karasuno’s side of the court.

“No touch!” (m/n) yelled.

The landed outside of the court giving them the point.

“Nice (m/n)!” Tanaka grinned, giving the (h/c) haired male a thumbs up.

“Ne, (m/n) are you sure you’re, okay?” Hinata asked, looking up at the (brunet, albino, ginger, etc).

“Somewhat... yeah...” (m/n) dejectedly responded as he placed his hands behind his head to protect himself.

Hinata looked at (m/n) and frowned, “(m/n)— “

“It’s okay Hina-chin, I’ll be alright. Leave it to me!” (m/n) said interrupting the ginger head as he walked back to his designated spot. “Give us a nice serve Daichi-San!” (m/n) yelled as he covered the back of his head.
Hinata eyed (m/n) from the corner of his eyes and frowned.

“it’s number six coming in from the left!” (m/n) yelled as he and Hinata shifted to the left, joining Kageyama. The three of them jumped in unison and the ball hit Kageyama’s hand which ricocheted to (m/n)’s hand. The ball soared back down to the other school’s side of the court. (m/n) silently cheered as he shifted back over to his side of the court.

“Good one (m/n)! Keep it up!” Daichi grinned as he ruffled his head making (m/n) smile a little.
Bit by bit, his negative feelings eased away. The warm atmosphere of the team cradled him as he played on. Only then was (m/n) reminded of why he was here. I have no reason to falter. I made them a promise and I intend on keeping that promise no matter what. I’ll overcome my fears and reach the top, with them! (m/n) thought as he watched Kageyama receive the ball as the ball had directly moved over to him. My past has no value to now, I can only learn from it. It’s different now. I’m sure of it!

“Shit! (m/n)!” Kageyama called out.

“Got it!” (m/n) yelled as he jumped over the backline and tossed the ball up towards Hinata.

Hinata eyed the ball as the blockers hands’ loomed over him, he looked over at the left blocker and hit the ball with all his might. The ball hit the blockers fingertips making it soar up in the air and out of bounds with the libero failing to receive it. The team cheered once more as they scored yet another point, drawing closer to the end of the second set.

“Alright!” Hinata and (m/n) grinned.

Practicing my tosses with Hina-chin was worthwhile. (m/n) thought as he fist bumped Hinata and regrouped with the team cheering.

“(m/n)!” Hinata grinned, “you don’t look so down anymore!”

(m/n) sheepishly scratched the back of his head, “yeah sorry… but I guess you could say that… I just received a bit of a wakeup call.” He grinned.

Hinata stared at (m/n) with a confused expression. What does that mean? He asked himself.

“Got it!” Nishinoya yelled as he bumped the ball up nicely over to Kageyama’s position.

“Tobio-chin!” (m/n) called out as he hastened his temp to first temp. Like the sound of thunder, his foot stomped on to the ground, hard and raised his arms in sync with this body. Everyone watched in shock as (m/n)’s jumping height had drastically increased, his head and shoulders above the net.

“(M/n)!” Kageyama yelled as he adjusted his toss for (m/n) as best he could.

“Three blockers!” Daichi and Nishinoya yelled.

“Just try me!” (m/n) yelled as he felt the palm of his hand connecting with the ball. Perfect. (M/n) thought in that moment, his eyes landed right over beside the captain of the opposing team and a wide grin formed on his face as he twisted his arm, re-coursing the ball over to the captain.

Before the captain could so much as react to his spike, a loud, thunderous ‘bam’ echoed inside and out of the gym.

(M/n) landed on the ground, a serious expression plastered on his face glared over at the other team. The captain stared where the ball had landed, too astounded and shaken to speak. Did Karasuno always have a beast on their team? He thought.

It was deafening, terrifying even.

“Oi! Get a hold of yourself! It was just a fluke!” His teammate yelled.

“(m/n) that was amazing!!!” Hinata yelled as he jumped onto (m/n).

“Thunder spike! It’s a thunder spike!!” Nishinoya yelled with stars in his eyes.

“Sorry I’ve been a bit petty!” (m/n) bowed to them making everyone stare at him in confusion bur as soon as (m/n) raised his head they felt the overwhelming presence of someone beyond a simple spiker they felt the presence of an Ace and captain. “Pass to me and I assure you I’ll hit every ball that comes my way, no matter how shoddy it is. So, let’s get these plays up and going one by one, to the best of our abilities!”

“Right!” The team yelled.

“I might as well quit my job.” Daichi smiled.

“It’s not even a job, you don’t even get paid.” Tanaka laughed.

“Oh, shut up!” Daichi yelled and looked over to (m/n) who was receiving a signal from Kageyama that they’ll be attempting a C-quick from the right.

“Go killer serve!” Hinata yelled as he placed his hands behind his head to protect himself.

Kageyama served the ball over to the person he assumed was bad at receives out of all his teammates. However, the opponent had managed to get the ball up, shakily for which his teammates quickly covered.

“Chance ball!” Nishinoya yelled and bumped the ball over to Kageyama.

Kageyama positioned himself under the ball and tossed the ball backwards over to (m/n) who had decreased his tempo down to third. He jumped and the same thunderous sound engulfed the gym.

“Three blockers!”

“We’ll stop him!”

(m/n) could only grin as he arched his back and motioned his arm like a whip. The ball met his hand and with a loud “boom” the ball soared towards the attack line, just landing before it, surprising the libero and other opposing people that were ready to receive the spike. (m/n) landed and let out a cheer as he gave Kageyama a good and slightly painful high-ten.

“Let’s go!” (m/n) grinned as he ruffled Kageyama’s head, “your tosses are the best Tobio-chin!!”
Kageyama blushed and nodded letting out a quiet “osu” making (m/n)’s grin wider as he regrouped with the team.

_____

“That was so fun! (m/n) was on fire!” Hinata beamed.

“Tell me about it, (m/n) must’ve been blessed by the volleyball gods to be able to jump and hit like that! I’m willing to bet that he’s on par with the country’s top three spikers!” Nishinoya exclaimed.

“Oh, come on you guys, I wasn’t that good!” (m/n) bashfully stated but was continuously bombarded with praises by the two midgets of the team.

“Let’s clean up and go get some meat buns, all right?” Daichi asked as he clapped his hands to get everyone’s attention but that wasn’t necessary for as soon as he mentioned “meat buns” the entire team rushed around the gym with determined screams, hurriedly cleaning up the gym.

Within half an hour, they all finished cleaning up and locked up the gym before heading out to get their light snack.

“Meat buns!” Hinata and (m/n) exclaimed as they ran out of the club room.

“Oi! At least wait for us!” Tanaka yelled from the clubroom door, watching the two childishly run off chanting “meat buns” in the far horizon.

Sugawara picked up his jacket and put it on to only notice a small box had fallen over. Jeez, no one really cares about the clubroom, now do they. He sighed as he picked up the box and it’s items that belonged in it.

“Suga we’re going to head out now.” Daichi stated.

The silver haired male looked over to the captain of the team and nodded, “right I’ll lock up here once I’ve cleaned this up.” Sugawara smiled.

“Okay~” Daichi yawned as he closed the door and headed out.
Sugawara turned back to focus on the task at hand, noticing an old magazine that had caught his eye.

_____

“What’re you looking at, (m/n)” Rei asked as he drank his chocolate milk, peering over his best friends shoulder out of curiosity.

(m/n) rested his cheek on his hand and sighed, “the club application…” he yawned.

“Eh? So, you’re gonna join ‘em?” Rei asked, taking a seat beside (m/n), “I won’t ask what changed your mind—but I hope you make the most of this decision. Have fun, enjoy, and grasp that feeling. Grip it tightly and never let it go.”

(m/n) looked at (m/n) shook his head, “since when did you act so wise?”

“I’ve always been wise; you just underestimate me.” Rei proudly stated with a smile.

“Yeah, and I’m Gandalf the Grey—ah! Is that my chocolate milk!?” (m/n) exclaimed pointing at the drink in Rei’s hand. Rei looked down at the drink and no surprised expression surfaced on his face.

“No.” He bluntly said.

“Liar! Go buy me a two of the ten pack, right now!” (m/n) growled.

“Oh, shut up! We have some in the fridge, jeez you’re such a whiney baby…” Rei mumbled.

“I can hear you!” (m/n) yelled from his bedroom.

“That’s the point idiot!” Rei yelled back.

“You two shut up and go to sleep already!”

Rei jumped at the sudden yell from his mother.

“Y-Yes mom…” he muttered and rushed to the kitchen to get (m/n)’s drink.