• twenty-three •

Feel free to critique my writing! I'm open to ways where/how I can improve my writing!

(H/c) - hair colour
(E/c) - eye colour
(S/c) - skin colour
(R/n) - random name

_____

• twenty-three •

“Oh? So, he is a starting player~” Oikawa mused, watching the tall figure walk on the court. The team reassured him and the male returning the kind gesture, giving them high-fives and high tens, cheering and hugging the team. A warm, refreshing air surrounding the team that had seemed so uptight a few moments ago. “Hm~ even Tobio-chan is getting all chummy with him… that number (f/n) sure is… interesting.”

“Oi! Stop staring at him, you look like a creep!” Iwaizumi growled, hitting Oikawa on the back of his head, “let’s get on this court and take back a set.”

“Right!” Oikawa smiled and walked on the court, getting into his respective position. (m/n) received a ball from one of the ball boys and sighed, bouncing the ball as he walked away from the baseline. He bounced the ball a few times as the whistle blew, the referee motioning his hand across his chest.

(m/n) pressed his forehead against the ball, closing his eyes and released a sigh. He tossed the ball up and ran up to the baseline, jumping just before it. His hand connected with the ball and his eye twitched at the awkwardness of his hand position as his hand encountered the ball. The ball flew to the other side, going off course, with Watari easily receiving the serve.

“Sorry!” (m/n) yelled, cursing under his breath at his failed serve. What a great start to a game... He mentally groaned.

“Don’t mind!” Daichi yelled, preparing himself to receive any block balls behind Tanaka as the buzz cut male attempted to block the ball. The ball passed through their block with Nishinoya diving for the ball, barely managing a save. Kageyama ran towards the ball and tossed the ball up for Hinata. The ginger managed a cross, but Iwaizumi had managed to predict the course of the ball, getting the ball up for Oikawa to set.

“Nice receive Iwa-chan!” Oikawa complimented and prepared to toss the ball to Kindaichi as the onion head and Kyoutani charged towards the net.

Hinata paused but noticed the uncertainty evident on Kindaichi’s face. The small middle blocker shifted to his left and jumped, meeting Kyoutani's fierce gaze as he smacked the ball right through the ginger’s hands. Kyoutani landed, his eye twitching when (m/n) received the ball, falling back in the process.

“It's going long!” Daichi yelled, “Kageyama!”

Kageyama grunted, jumping from his standing position and managed to get a hand on the ball, subtly tossing it up. Hinata jumped, his eyes eyeing the ball before him. He noticed Kindaichi’s huge arms tower over him and without another second to waste, Hinata hit the ball, directly aiming for Kindaichi’s hands. The ball flew out with Watari unable to get it in time.

“Thank you!!” (m/n) chuckled, high-fiving the minus-tempo quick duo.

“Give us another serve!” Daichi grinned, handing the ball to (m/n). The taller male returned the gesture and nodded, moving back to the baseline.

“(m/n)!!”

(M/n) whipped his head to the sidelines, seeing his teammates giving him big grins and loud cheers. (M/n) couldn’t help but chuckle at their actions and noticed Sugawara smiling gently at him.

“Don’t hold back, okay?” Sugawara asked, loud enough for (m/n) to hear. The others nodding in agreement with him.

(M/n) stared down at the ball and looked back up to the platinum haired third-year, giving him a nod. (M/n) briskly walked a few steps away from the baseline and heaved a sigh as the whistle blew. He bounced the ball once, resting it on his forehead and closed his eyes. Once he opened them, he tossed the ball up and ran towards the line.

He soared up in the air, his hand perfectly encountering the ball. The yellow and blue ball pierced the air and straight over to Kyoutani whose eyes widened at the immediate closeness between him and the ball. He instantly placed his arms in front of him, protecting himself from the impact as he was knocked down.
Aoba Johsai went silent as they all had their eyes glued at Kyoutani who slowly got up, glaring at his red arms and (m/n).

An amused grin spread across Oikawa’s face as he turned back around to look at (m/n) who was being praised by his teammates. He’s... a beast! The brunet thought as he returned to his position. You’re more interesting than I thought.

“Give us another killer serve!!” Hinata yelled, covering the back of his head.

(M/n) took another deep breath as he bounced the ball once. Watari and their strongest receivers stood back, prepared to get the strong serve. The (brunet, albino, ginger etc) pressed his forehead against the ball before throwing the ball up. He chased after the ball and right before his hand made contact with the ball, his lips curled into a smirk, his hit softening last minute.

A float serve!! Yamaguchi thought, watched the ball float across the court subtly, like a feather falling to the ground.

The ball floated across the court, before dropping, surprising the entire team, even Karasuno. Oikawa clicked his tongue and quickly dove for the ball, barely managing to get it up for Watari to do an emergency set.

Iwaizumi hit the ball, getting through the blockers with ease. Aoba Johsai cheered while Karasuno regrouped, reassuring one another. Oikawa watched from his position, observing (m/n)’s every move.

“I told you to stop staring, it’s creepy!” Iwaizumi yelled, hitting the setter on the head once again.

“Sorry, sorry!” Oikawa chuckled and turned to Kindaichi, “don’t worry about Mad Dog, if you don’t go in for the spike the blockers will catch on with our attacks. Chibi-chan noticed that earlier.”

“R-Right...!” Kindaichi stuttered out.

Karasuno braced themselves to receive Oikawa’s monstrous serve with Daichi, (m/n) and Nishinoya in the back. Oikawa tossed the ball up, his eyes completely glued to the ball floating up in the air as he chased after it. He jumped and hit the ball with a decent amount of strength, aiming directly towards (m/n).

So that’s how it’s gonna be, huh? (m/n) thought as he leaned forward, getting the ball up. He stumbled back but managed to stand his ground. He charged towards the net with everyone doing the same, except for Kageyama who readied himself to toss the ball up.

“Centre!”

“Left!”

The blockers readied themselves, expecting Tanaka to make the spike, that is until Tanaka had dropped down, the ball still up in the air.

“It’s a pipe!” Matsukawa yelled, quickly regrouping in the middle and jumped, his eyes leveling with (m/n) as Kindaichi and Hanamaki beside him.

(m/n) noticed the small gap between the libero and the blockers and grinned, with a grunt he swung full force, but his fingertips touched the ball lightly. The blockers’ cursed under their breath as Watari hustled for the save. He managed to squeeze his hand under the ball, getting it up for Oikawa to take the ball.

Their libero sure is persistent...! (M/n) thought, clicking his tongue.

“Mad Dog!” The setter yelled, doing a back toss to the buzz cut male who had started his running approach parallel to the net.

“This is…!” Shimada exclaimed as he watched Kyoutani hit the ball, making an insane cut-shot with Daichi unable to receive the ball.

“What the hell...!” Tanaka growled, glaring at Kyoutani who returned the gesture. (M/n) rushed over to Daichi, immediately asking if he was okay, but the blackette reassured him with a gentle smile.

“Alright, alright... let’s stay composed. We couldn’t d anything about that one but let’s retake our lost points one by one!” Daichi yelled.

“Osu!” The team yelled in unison.

“Give us another serve!”

Oikawa gave Karasuno another jump serve, once more, aiming for (m/n). Not falling for the same strength behind the ball, (m/n) shifted his feet to the side and placed his arms before him, flawlessly getting the ball up and over to Kageyama.

You're gonna have to do better than that, flamboyant weirdo!’ (M/n) mouthed to Oikawa who cursed under his breath, an amused and entertained expression replacing his stern one.

Kageyama prepared himself to toss the ball, observing every spiker that was available for an attack. The raven head released a sigh as he jumped and sent a back toss to (m/n). The six foot wing spiker jumped, the blockers being a second too late as the second year managed a precise line shot, the ball shooting right past Oikawa.

The brunet stood up straight and chuckled.

“Somehow... I feel like, (m/n) and Oikawa are... fighting.” Tsukishima spoke, getting the teams attention.

“Really?” Hinata asked.

“Yeah, Oikawa’s been aiming for (m/n) with his serves and (m/n) returns the favour through his spikes,” Tsukishima answered, “see they’re even engaged in a glaring contest.”

“How are your arms, (m/n)?” Daichi asked, getting the (brunet, albino, ginger etc)'s attention.

(M/n) glanced down at his arms, seeing the slight redness on them, “they’re alright, a little sore, but okay,” he answered, smiling, “although, I’m kinda glad that I’m at the front row now and Yuu-chin is back on the court. I don’t know how long I would’ve been able to receive his serves.”

“Yeah, he’s like a living Canon.” Daichi sighed.

“That may be... but I feel like he’s holding back with his serves,” (m/n) stated, “it’s just a hunch though, so I wouldn’t count on it.”

“Right, I’ll be sure to keep that in mind.” Daichi nodded and ushered (m/n) to move to his new position.

“Hm... and here I was hoping to keep serving to him until he breaks...” Oikawa pouted, puffing his cheek out.

“You can do that next time, now get ready you moron!” Iwaizumi fumed making Oikawa flinch and readied himself for Daichi’s serve.