Chapter 51

Five minutes later we're in the car driving to the house again.

————

"Thena- c-can I stay with you, just for tonight?" He asks and it's clear that he's holding back tears.

I immediately nod my head, "yeah- yeah sure, come here" I smile gently at my best friend while opening my arms.

He quickly hugs me tightly as my arms hold him equally as tight against me.

"He's dead" he says voice breaking.

"I know Res- I know" I say softly while caressing his back.

Even though Henry died years ago- the pain of loosing him never ends.

We try not to think about it too much but now with finally thinking we may have found his murderer, all the tucked away feelings are coming back.

Harder then before.

We sit here for a few minutes before we slowly walk inside the house.

I bring him to the kitchen where he takes a seat at the kitchen island.

"Do you want to eat or drink something?" I ask him gently while turning to the cupboard

As I grab two glasses I hear him break down behind me.

I suck in a deep breath as my heart breaks into a thousand pieces for him.

Ares isn't just my second in command, he's my best friend, a person who's always been there for me, he's so much more than just a second in command.

I put the glasses down on the counter and quickly make my way over to him.

I gently rub his back as he cries with his hands covering his face and his elbows leaning on the counter.

"He's dead, Henry's d-dead" he cries harder

Tears form in my eyes, "it's okay, it'll be okay" I whisper as my own voice breaks.

I keep whispering some comforting words to him as I continually blink tears away as a few fall down.

Suddenly the twins come home and I think they've called the rest of my brothers because everyone walks into the kitchen, probably ready to start lecturing me.

However they don't.

They halt when they Ares and me crying.

I shake my head no, 'not today' I mouth to them.

I hide my face in Ares' back as his arms wrap around mine that is wrapped around the front of his body.

"Why did he have to die- out of a-all of the people in the world, he-..he was the one who least deserved it Thena" he chocks out.

"I don't know Res, I really don't. I'm sorry I couldn't save him, I'm really sorry" I whisper.

He turns and wraps his arms around my body, "it wasn't your fault okay, that guy he was the one who played Russian roulette on you two- not you." He says while I wrap my arms around him once more.