Chapter 63

He wraps his arms around my neck and snuggles his head into me as we arrive at the hospital.

I pick him up and get out of the car with him and start walking to the hospital with the others.

"Mama, where are we?" He asks while lifting his head and looking around us.

"We're at the hospital which is a place where the doctors, nurses and surgeons help people" I tell him.

He nods his head, "doctors will help you and unle Atas" he smiles.

I nod my head, "and they will check you out to make sure you're okay" I say.

"I no pain mama" he says.

"I know baby, but they're going to check your health and stuff. When you were a baby you didn't get the medicine that you were required to get just like your birth certificate and stuff we are going to fix that today okay" I say.

He nods his head, "okay" he smiles and snuggles his head into me again as I kiss his head.

When we're inside, I follow a doctor who specializes in kids while Atlas gets checked out himself and the others wait in the waiting room.

The woman closes the door behind me then motions me to sit down.

I do as she says as she sits opposite to us on the other side of the desk.

"Good afternoon-?"

"Athena" I answer her unasked question.

"And this is-?" She asks while looking at Elijah.

"I Ewlah" he says.

"Hello Elijah" the doctor smiles.

"Hewllo" he smiles a little.

"So what can I do for you today?" She asks while looking back at me but not before giving Elijah something to play with as we talk.

"Yes euhm, Elijah hasn't been registered yet so he does not have a birth certificate or anything and I'd like to get him a checkup and get his vaccinations that he's yet supposed to get" I tell her.

"How come he hasn't been registered yet?" She asks while she starts typing on her computer.

"I came out of an abusive household, I couldn't get him a birth certificate or anything" I give her a vague answer.

"My apologies" she says

"Do you think it is still possible to get his birth certificate here at the hospital like you get when your child is born here?" I ask her.

"I'll see what I can do, let's start with the checkup for now and his vaccinations" she says smiling.

I nod my head and stand up with Elijah in my arms, "you can sit him down on the bed for now" she tells me.

I do as she says and put Elijah down on the hospital bed.

Elijah looks at me, fearful.

"It's okay baby" I smile softly and hold his hand.

"Okay, Elijah we're going to take your hoodie off for a second" the doctor says while helping him take it off.