(I) Chapter 9 - Tryouts

[Takeji's POV]

"This person cannot be reached"

It's the message I get every time I try to call Fumia. I'm trying to get a hold of her so I would know if she'll be able to go. I'm currently at school waiting for her. I always knew in the back of my mind that regardless of how close we've become for the past month doesn't remove the fact that she isn't always available.

I also messaged Nino but knowing her, I don't think it would be best to push this on her. It's currently nine in the morning and I'll try to wait a bit more for anyone to go with me. I was hoping that Drei would go, or even Misako but the two had other plans. But knowing them, it's understandable if they can't go especially now that I feel there's something going on between the two.

Twenty minutes have passed and I still got no message from either Nino or Fumia. Since this was the case, I just proceeded with going to the University alone. I took the bus heading near where the University was while carrying my gear.

Today would be an important event since it would be a tryout for the Tennis team for a University my coach told me about. If I get in, it would be a huge help for my studies and for my career as a Tennis player.

Though I was hoping that someone will be there to support me.

Some time passed and I arrived at the University. I was told by coach to look for the information plaza first so I would know where the Tennis court is. After some time of walking around, I found where it was. I approached one of the people who looks like a facilitator of the Uni.

"Good morning, may I know where the Tennis court is, please?"

"Good morning! You can also have this if you want." She handed me a flyer.

I opened it and it contained a map of the whole campus.

"As you can see, we're here, and that's where you need to be." She pointed at the map of where the tennis court is.

"Great! Thanks for that!"

"Sure thing! Are you in for the tryouts? I noticed the gear you're carrying."

"Hmm? Yeah, my coach told me about it."

"Okay! Well, good luck!"

"Thank you!"

The tryout isn't until around Eleven-thirty in the morning so I still have a bit of time to do some warm-ups. I walked towards where the Tennis court is and I found some other players who are already doing their warm-ups.

I took a seat on a bench and placed my gear there. While settling everything a man approached me.

"Hey, are you Takeji?"

"Yes, I am."

"Come on now! Don't be so stiff!" He smiled at me and reach out his hand. "I'm Osada, I'm a friend of Abe. He told me that you're his best player."

"Oh, hey coach! Sorry about that. Yeah, I was told by coach Abe about the tryouts so here I am." I reached back to him to give a firm handshake.

"Do you know how it will work?"

"I was told by my coach that we'll do at least one match"

"Yup! You will be faced with a random person via the picking system we have. Your names are already on the list waiting to be chosen."

"I see."

"Well, it will start soon so feel free to do some warm-ups if you like. Good luck!"

"Thanks, coach!"