(I) Chapter 11 - Ode to my Family

"Wh—What happened?"

"We'll tell you along the way. Don't worry, we're to help."

"I understand. Please let me check on my sister first."

I checked on Hanna to see if she was asleep. After I made sure everything was okay before I go with the officers. After some time, the police car stopped. It was in front of a hospital.

They brought me to a room and I found my mother there lying unconsciously.

"MOM!" I ran towards her.

"What happened!?"

"We found her in the street with her dress tattered. She was covered in bruises all over her body."

I tried to look at my mom and noticed the bruises that they were talking about.

"The doctors said..."

"What is it? Please tell me..."

"I'm not sure you're old enough to hear about this."

"I can take it. Please, I need to know."

"The doctors ran a blood test and found some unusual thing on her body. It looks like she was drugged and abused. She's currently in a state of shock and in Coma. There's no specific time when she'll be able to wake up."

I wasn't able to reply. I held my mother's hands as I rest my head on it.

"We'll be going now."

"Thank you, sir."

Time passed and it was already passed midnight. Someone opened the door and headed inside. I turned to check who it was. I found that it was a man I'm unfamiliar with. He was wearing a coat of some sort.

"Excuse me, who are you?"

"I'm Machida. I'll be taking care of you girls from now on."

"Are you a friend of Mom?" I asked the guy standing in front of me.

"I'm someone who's more than that." He smiled at me.

"I see. What are you planning to do?"

"I'll help you move to a new house. I'll take care of the hospital bills for you as well."

"I see..."

"I'm getting a bad feeling about this guy..."

"It's settled then. I'll help you move and I'll take care of your sister's expenses as well. Everything should be—"

"What's in it for you though?" I interrupted him because I don't trust him at all.

He just grinned at me and replied, "You're a smart girl. I like that." He walked closer to me. "You see, I'm a businessman, I've got a lot of money in my hands. I just can't stand to see my favorite girl suffering like this."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

He walked even closer and whispered to my ears, "She's my bitch."

My ears ring with what I just heard, "YOU MOTHER—"

"Now now!" He stopped my fist from reaching his face. "That's not how you treat someone who's offering help would you now? I know you're strong. But don't be stupid."

"Fucking hell. What is he up to...? And who the fuck is this guy?"

I put down my fist and tried to calm myself.

"There's a good girl." He grinned once more. "Think about it, your mother is already having a hard time sustaining the pathetic life that the three of you have. Your beloved sister wouldn't be able to last long without her treatment. You don't have any work since you're just a mere high school girl. Your mother here is being useless due to her condition."