10. The Secret Is Out

Raya hid in a secret room with the other Marauders once her detention was over, because she couldn't face her roommates. And she stayed there until everyone else had gone to sleep, to avoid being questioned by any of the Gryffindors.
The following morning she woke up extra early so that she could have breakfast before anyone else, and then hide away again.
Unfortunately the boys figured out her plan and joined her in the great hall, before she could run off.
"Going somewhere?" Yawned James, as the boys all sat down around her.
"No" lied Raya.
"Good, because we are going to have our breakfast now, so you can't go anywhere" replied James.
"Well, I was going to go and study in the library".

"You can't avoid the world forever. You are going to have to face your classmates eventually" reminded Sirius.
"I know, I have Potions in an hour. But I didn't want to be harassed and questioned a hundred times before then. As I only have enough energy to defend myself once" admitted Raya.
"You won't be picked on, I promise. We will sit here beside you, and then walk you down to your first lesson of the day. And since you have double Potions, we will pick you up from there for break, and then walk you your class after break. We won't ley you be alone" replied Sirius.
"Thanks" mumbled Raya.

"No matter how mean the Slytherins are to you, don't start a fight in the Potions classroom" Remus said sternly.
"I don't need another lecture, the one you gave me last night was more than enough" sighed Raya.
"You know how lucky we both are to be here, which is why I don't want you to squander this opportunity and get expelled" replied Remus.
"Don't worry, I will be on my best behaviour, I promise".

"But if things do go sour, and you get into another fight, we will still be proud of you for sticking up for yourself" informed James.
"Don't encourage her" frowned Remus.
"You don't want her to get picked on, do you?" Questioned James.
"Of course not"
"Then don't tell her that if she defends herself again you will be angry with her".
"I swear that I will only use violence as a last resort" insisted Raya.
"There are plently of ways you can hurt the Slytherins using your tongue. You've been around me long enough to develop a very, lets say, colourful language" grinned Sirius.
"That's one way of putting it" smiled Raya.

"Do you think all of the Slytherins will pick on us now, because of what happened with Raya?" Asked Peter.
"I doubt it. Most people don't interact with the other year groups, even if they are in the same house. We are the exception to the norm. Besides, I'm pretty sure we could take on the Slytherins, easily" answered James.
"We are the coolest kids in the school afterall" added Sirius.
"We certainly are. No one will mess with us Peter, not as long as we are together. So, you don't need to be afraid" promised James.

****
When the period one bell rang, the boys escorted Raya down to the Potions classroom. And she tried not to notice all the people staring at her and whispering, as she passed them.
Raya was one of the last people to enter the classroom, so she had to endure everyone looking at her as she made her way over to the table she shared with her roommates.
"Lookout everyone, it's the violent Squib" mocked Alex.
Since Slughorn hadn't arrived yet, Alex didn't feel afraid to tease Raya in front of everyone.
"People like you, shouldn't be here" continued Alex.

"What's the matter Alex? Embarrassed that a Squib is getting better grades than you?" Questioned Raya, as she put on a brave face, and sat down beside Harriet.
Some of the Gryffindor boys chuckled, letting Raya know that she had their support, and that they would not side with the Slytherins.
"No. Anyway, you should count your days Squib. It won't be long before they kick you out of here" threatened Alex.
"I doubt it. Professor Dumbledore came to my house to personally invite me to Hogwarts, since I didn't receive a letter. I think that means my place here is pretty secure. The same can't be said for you though, since no one wants you here" replied Raya.

"You just wait" spat Alex.
"For what? Me to beat the crap out of you again. If that's what you want, I'm sure I can oblige. Maybe this time you'll spend a whole day in the hospital wing. Yesterday, I only gave you a small taster of what I can do. If you keep pushing me, I'll show you some more tricks that the Muggles taught me" offered Raya.
"I'll teach you a lesson, you pathetic Squib!" Snapped Alex.
"I'm the pathetic one? I'm not the one who got beaten up by a girl without a wand. If I'm pathetic, then what does that make you?".

Alex moved to get up, but Regulus put his hand on his shoulder and pushed him back down.
"Just leave it mate. She's not worth getting into trouble over. You've already got one detention tonight, and you don't want another" said Regulus.
"You're right. Why should I waste any of my time on her? She's not worth any of my effort what so ever" agreed Alex, as he turned back around to face his friends.
Raya flashed Regulus a quick smile, showing that she was thankful for him for stepping in.

Slughorn arrived a few moments later and set the class their task for that lesson.
Once everyone started to make their potions, Raya's roommates used this as a chance to question her.
"So, are you really a Squib?" Questioned Ella.
"Yes" answered Raya honestly.
"Why didn't you tell us?" Asked Harriet.
"I wanted to put off the whole school finding out, for as long as possible. Because I wanted everyone to treat me like any other student, and not a Squib" explained Raya.

"But, the teachers knew, right?" Quizzed Sarah.
Raya nodded, "Of course. Dumbledore told them all about me, once he had decided to let me come to Hogwarts".
"Squibs don't usually attend Hogwarts though" replied Lucy.
"No, they don't. But I wanted to come here, so Dumbledore agreed to allow me to come. I didn't want to be stuck at home, while my brother was off learning magic. Which is why I insisted on coming to Hogwarts, instead of living an easy life as a Muggle" revealed Raya.
"I guess this explains why you always hang out with your brother and his mates, because they already knew that you were a Squib, so you didn't need to be afraid of them finding out" said Ella.
"Yes, they've always known that I have no magic" replied Raya.

"But now that we know too, does that mean you will spend more time with us?" Asked Harriet.
"If you don't mind being friends with a Squib" said Raya.
"Of course we don't mind. We are your roommates, and we are going to be friends for the next 7 years. We don't care that you don't have magic" reassured Harriet.
"She's right. Besides, you're still the smartest out of all of us, which is why we need you around" admitted Sarah.
"I'm only smart because I study hard, to make up for my lack of magic. I'll help you guys study too if you want, then you can be as smart as me" offered Raya.
"Promise?" Asked Lucy.
"Promise" answered Raya.