34. Mature Situation

Since Raya and Sirius didn't have Euphemia to summon the Knight Bus for them this time, they had to get a Muggle taxi, as using magic outside of Hogwarts would get them both expelled.
Unfortunately Raya only had enough money to get them part of the way back to the Potter manor, so they had to walk the rest of the way.
They walked in silence through the rain, unsure of what to say to each other. And by the time they got back, it had gone dark.
Sirius kept it together until they got to the manor. But the minute he saw James he burst into tears and threw himself into his friends arms.

Fleamont gathered them all in the drawing room, and lit a fire to dry off Sirius and Raya.
They all then sat around Sirius, and listened to his tale.
For once, James wasn't teasing Sirius or cracking jokes. He looked more serious than Raya had ever seen him.
Ever since his OWL results arrived that morning, he'd had a strange look about him.
Raya assumed this was because he had suddenly realised just how much his parents were relying on him to succeed. As the only Potter heir, he had an awful lot of pressure on him. Which is why he couldn't afford to mess about for much longer.

"I guess that's it then. I won't be going home ever again" said Sirius, once he'd finished explaining everything that had happened at Grimmauld Place.
"Your parents didn't hurt you before you left, did they?" Asked Euphemia, gently.
Sirius shook his head, "No. Mother pulled her wand on me, but she didn't actually get the chance to use any spells against me".
"That's good, because I would have hated for her to use magic to hurt you again" replied Euphemia.
"She doesn't need magic to harm me, for she can do it with just her words. She is an evil woman, and I hate her!".

"She is still your mother" Raya reminded him, softly.
"No, that woman lost the right to call herself his mother, when she first turned her wand on him" announced Euphemia.
"If Sirius's parents have thrown him out, will the Ministry have to get involved and take custody of him?" Questioned James.
"I shouldn't think so. Sirius turns 17 in a few months anyway, so what he gets up to is not their concern" answered Fleamont.
"But he isn't 17 yet. And don't they have control over where he lives, until then?" Asked James.
"Technically, yes. But they aren't going to find out about this, for we aren't going to tell them. They will just think that Sirius is spending the holidays here with his best friend. They don't need to know that his parents have disowned him".

"It's weird to think that I will never go home again" mumbled Sirius.
"Won't they even let you return to pick up your stuff?" Quizzed James.
"No. My mother made it pretty clear that once I stepped out that door, I would not be allowed back in the house again" answered Sirius.
"Do you think they will destroy all your things?"
"I'd like to see them try. Most of the things on the walls are stuck up with a Permanent Sticking charm. So, my parents will never get my posters, and the Gryffindor banners down. And all of my important Hogwarts stuff is here anyway, so that won't get touched".

"12 Grimmauld Place may have been the house you grew up in, but it was never your home. Hogwarts is your home" reminded Raya.
"Yes, it is" agreed Sirius.
"But Hogwarts can't be your home forever. Which is why we want you to think of this place as your home from now on" revealed Euphemia.
"You really don't mind me moving in?" Asked Sirius.
"Of course not. The minute we found out what your parents were like, we've treated you like our surrogate son. You and your friends will always have a home here" promised Fleamont.

Sirius began to cry again, but this time it was happy tears.
"I don't know what to say" sobbed Sirius.
"You don't have to say anything" replied Euphemia, as she placed her arm around him and held him tight.
Sirius had never had his own mother hug him so tight. So having Euphemia hug him, showed him,what he had been missing.
"Do you want to take the room next to James's, on the same floor as ours?" Offered Euphemia.
"No thank you. My room on the floor above has become my home away from home, so I would hate to switch rooms, because I feel so comfortable there" answered Sirius.

"Then that is where you will stay. It won't be a guest room anymore. From now on, it belongs to you, and no one else" informed Euphemia.
"Thank you so much. I don't know how I can repay your kindness" replied Sirius.
"We don't want anything from you. We only want you to be happy" smiled Euphemia.
"And after such a hard day, you boys should be off to bed" added Fleamont.
"That's a good idea, Flea. James, take Sirius upstairs and get him settled in. We'll come and check on you both later" instructed Euphemia.

"What about Raya?" Asked Sirius.
"Yeah, can she stay the night?" Added James.
"I think it's time Raya went home, as her parents are probably missing her" answered Fleamont.
"Yes, I think I should be getting home" agreed Raya.
"Will you come back tomorrow?" Questioned Sirius.
"Of course I will. If that's O.K with you, Mr Potter?" Asked Raya.
"You know you are always welcome here. And how about I let you use the floo network to get home safely" replied Fleamont.
"Would that really be alright?"
"I see no problem. I'll even take you to our fireplace that's connected to the floo network, since it isn't this one"
"O.K, thank you. See you tomorrow boys".

****
The moment Raya stepped back inside her family home, she threw her arms around her dad and squeezed him tight.
"Hey, what was that for?" Questioned Lyall.
"Nothing. I just wanted you to know how much I love you. I know I don't always show it, because I'm always dissappearing off to James's house, but I really do appreciate everything that you do for me" admitted Raya.
"What's brought all this on?" Asked Lyall curiously.
"Sirius's parents have just disowned him, for dating me. He can never go home again, because of me"
"You met Walburga and Orion?".

"I didn't want to, but Sirius insisted that I met his parents. The moment they found out I was a half-blood and a Squib, they flipped out. They gave Sirius a choice, and he chose me. I'm glad his mother can't hurt him anymore, now that he's left. But I hate to think that he's been cast out of his family and his home, because of me" admitted Raya.
"Sirius made his choice. No one made him. And from what you've told me in the past, this was always going to happen eventually, because Sirius doesn't follow the same lifestyle as the rest of his family" replied Lyall.
"I know. But I just feel so sorry for him. I know the Potters have stepped in and become his new parents. But that doesn't take away the fact that his own family have disowned him".

"I'm sorry that you had to witness such a horrible thing" Lyall said softly.
"I've never seen a parent treat their child like that before. The way she looked at him, and spoke to him, was so scary... You'd never treat me that way, no matter what I did, would you?" Questioned Raya.
"Of course not. You are my daughter and I love you. No matter what terrible thing you did, I would stand by you no matter what. And I would certainly never even consider raising my fist or my wand at you" reassured Lyall.
"I know that. I just wish everyone had parents like you"
"Not everyone is as lucky as you to have a dad like me... Come on, let's watch some TV and then you should make your way up to bed"
"After the day I've had, that sounds like a wonderful idea".