40. We Are One

Raya and Remus were right about their friends, because it wasn't long until the rest of the Marauders showed up.
"We thought it was best if we didn't come empty handed" announced James, before handing Remus and Raya a basket full of food.
"Since you missed breakfast we thought we should bring you both something to eat" added Peter.
"Thank you Peter, that was very thoughtful of you" replied Raya, as she looked into the basket and smiled at the food the boys had brought for her.
"We told Peter everything that happened last night, so he's all up to speed" informed James.
"I still wish you'd brought me along" admitted Peter.
"There wasn't time to get you and explain what had happened. Me and Raya barely got there in time. If we had been a minute later, it might have been too late to stop Remus from killing Severus" revealed James.

"Don't say that" shuddered Raya.
"It's true though" replied James.
"I guess. Have you seen Severus this morning?" Questioned Raya.
"Yes. He ignored us as usual, but he seemed to be looking for someone, so I assume it was you. I expect he wants to thank you personally for saving his life" answered James.
"He should thank you as well"
"He hates me, and always will. He probably hates me even more now, because he owes me a life debt"
"I still think he should have at least acknowledged that you protected him last night"
"You were the one who saved his life, I only defended you afterwards. You were the real hero, for pushing him to the side like that, and getting wounded in the process"
"I don't feel like a hero".

"Does your neck still hurt?" Asked Peter.
"Nope. The scratch left a scar, but it doesn't hurt anymore. And I didn't lose a load of blood like when Severus's spell hit me. So, I will be fine. Madam Pomfrey says I can leave as soon as I feel ready. I was just waiting for you guys to turn up" admitted Raya.
"Thats good to hear. What about you, Moony?" Questioned James.
"I don't think I'll be out of here today, as the full moon took a lot out of me, as normal. But hopefully I will be well enough to return to lessons tomorrow" answered Remus.
"I'll keep my fingers crossed for you" replied James.

Raya looked over at Sirius, who was standing away from the group, and hadn't said a word since arriving in the hospital wing.
"Aren't you going to say anything?" Quizzed Raya.
"I didn't think you wanted to talk to me" mumbled Sirius.
"Last night, I didn't. I was angry, in pain, and tired. But today is a new day" admitted Raya.
"Then will you let me apologise?"
"I think we have all been waiting for an apology. So go on".

Sirius sighed and took a deep breath.
"I'm sorry, to all of you for what I did. Moony, I'm sorry for not telling you what I had done, and I'm sorry for not thinking about what the consequences for you would be, if Snape had been hurt. I was just thinking about how best to prank him, and keep him off our backs. I didn't consider that if he did bump into you once you were fully transformed, that he could actually die. I know that if you'd hurt him, you would never have forgiven yourself, so I'm so sorry for putting you in that position. And I'm sorry for allowing someone else to discover your secret" apologised Sirius.

"What you did was stupid and reckless. But, if you promise never to do something like that ever again, I will forgive you" informed Remus.
"I promise. I won't tell anyone else how to get passed the Whomping Willow. Your secret is safe with me, I swear" insisted Sirius.
"Then let's put this nasty mess behind us" replied Remus.
"Thank you Moony".

Sirius then turned to face James,
"Prongs, I'm sorry for not telling you earlier about my prank I had planned for Snivellus. And I'm sorry I put your life at risk".
"If you had told me earlier, I would've told you it was a terrible idea" sighed James.
"I know. Which is why from now on, all prank ideas go through you first. I won't do anything stupid without consulting you" replied Sirius.
"You had better not. We are prank buddies afterall. Our pranks work best when we co-operate our efforts, so no more going off on your own. And in the future, just leave Severus to me"
"You got it boss".

Sirius had saved Raya until last, because he felt the worst about what had happened to her, for she was the one who had gotten injured because of him.
"Raya, I don't even know how to begin to apologise. You are the person I love most in this world, and I never wanted you to get hurt. In fact, the reason I wanted to hurt Snivellus, was because I wanted to get back at him for attacking you last term. I was trying to protect you. And now I am as bad as him, because I did something that led to you getting scarred. I should have gone with you last night, and protected you. It should have been me who got hurt, not you, and if I could take away your pain, I would do it without a second thought. You mean everything to me, and I don't want to lose you, but I will understand if you want to break up with me. I will never stop loving you, but you deserve someone good who won't let you get hurt" admitted Sirius.

"Hey, can we stop with the self-loathing and quit being a drama queen. I am not in pain, so there is no need for you to feel guilty about me being in agony. I made my choice last night, no one made me go after Severus, or leap in front of him. I made that decision, so you can't blame yourself for something I opted to do. And secondly, I never said that I wanted to break up with you. All couples have their fights, and last night was our first, but it probably won't be our last. I still love you, and while I can't forget what you did, I can forgive you for being an idiot" revealed Raya.
"So, you don't want to break up with me?" Asked Sirius, hopefully.
"Absolutely not" answered Raya.

Sirius grinned and climbed onto the bed to kiss Raya.
"Hello, other people present" teased James.
Sirius released Raya, but didn't move from her side.
"Sorry Prongs" he smiled.
"So, does this mean that the Marauders are back together?" Questioned Peter.
"Well, we never officially broke up. But yes, we are one big happy family again" announced Raya.
"Let's agree to never do something big and stupid without talking to another Marauder first" suggested James.
"Good idea. From now on, we make decisions as a team" agreed Raya.
"Deal" everyone chorused back in unison.