59. Adulthood

Raya didn't like keeping secrets from her friends, especially Sirius. But she knew that if he found out that Regulus was a death eater, he would be distraught. So, she had no choice but to keep the truth from him.
And Raya and Regulus acted like she had never learned the truth about him, as neither of them mentioned it, in the weeks that followed.
Raya's birthday at the end of September didn't fall on a weekend, but this didn't stop her from seeing her friends.
Once it was dark enough, she snuck out of the castle and joined her friends in the Shrieking Shack.

"Here's the birthday girl!" Announced Sirius, when Raya arrived.
She flung herself into his arms, and kissed him passionately on the lips.
"I've missed you" she whispered.
"I only saw you last weekend" reminded Sirius.
"I know, but it feels like ages ago".
"Hello, other people present" said James.
Raya smiled and extracted herself from Sirius's arms.
"Sorry I took so long to get here. It took me several attempts to immobilise the tree, with the rocks I was throwing at the stump. I hadn't realised how much harder it was going to be without you to freeze the tree with magic, or without Peter to run up to it in rat form" admitted Raya.

"That's alright. We got here early to decorate this place before you got here" revealed James.
"And so that we could set up the cake" added Peter, as he pointed to the food table in the corner of the room.
"The room looks better than ever before. It's so good to see you all again. The 5 of us in the Shrieking Shack, just like old times" grinned Raya.
"It feels like nothing has changed" added Peter.

"A lot has changed since then, Wormy. None of us are kids anymore. Today, Raya is officially a grown up" sighed James.
"I feel like I've been a grown up for ages, as I used to imagine I was babysitting you guys when you were playing childish pranks" admitted Raya.
"So, you don't feel any different, now that you're an adult?" Questioned James.
"Nope. It's not like I can start doing magic outside of school, like you boys could when you turned 17"
"I know, but you're a proper adult now, so I thought you would feel more grown up"
"I'm only an adult in the wizarding world. In the Muggle world you don't become an adult until you're 18"
"Well, you're not a Muggle"
"No, I guess I'm not".

"How are things are Hogwarts then?" Asked Remus.
"Fine. Although Slughorn is still convinced that his partner thing is a good idea, despite the fact that our Potions room nearly blew up in the last class" revealed Raya.
"Really? What happened?" Questioned Sirius.
"A Gryffindor boy started arguing with his Slytherin partner about how much of a certain ingredient to put into the cauldron. And the next thing you know, the cauldron has blown up, and Slughorn has to evacuate the classroom, while he puts everything back together" answered Raya.

"Slytherins and Gryffindors just can't work together, it's been proven many times" sighed James.
"Especially in the world right now. Gryffindors join the Order, and Slytherins become death eaters. We are total opposites" replied Peter.
"I don't think that's 100% true" frowned Remus.
"Moony is right. All of my family were in Slytherin, and they aren't all evil. Bellatrix, sure, but Andromeda and Narcissa are good people, despite being in Slytherin. And Regulus may be a teachers pet, and a mummy's boy, but he isn't a bad person" admitted Sirius.

"And not all Gryffindors join the Order of the Phoenix, Peter" reminded Raya.
"Yeah, but a lot do. Gryffindors are good guys, and Slytherin are bad guys. That's just the way things are" informed Peter.
"Wormy is right. Slytherins are evil and cannot be trusted... My sources tell me that Severus has now joined Voldemort" revealed James.
"Well, we all knew he would" sighed Raya.

"Does Lily know?" Quizzed Remus.
James shook his head, "I don't want to lie to her. But I know how upset she would be if she found out that Severus has become a death eater. Which is why I have chosen not to tell her".
"Sometimes ignorance is bliss" mumbled Raya, as she thought about the secret she was keeping from Sirius.
"That's what I hoped" replied James.
"Where is Lily tonight, anyway?" Asked Raya.
"With her friends. We thought you would prefer it, if just the Marauders came tonight"
"Lily is one of the group now, as she is your wife. And I really like her, I was one of her bridesmaids afterall. But I have to admit that it is nice to just have the 5 of us together again".

"Well, now that you are here, you can open all your presents" said Peter, as he pointed to the large pile of gifts on the table.
"Having you guys here is enough of a present. Besides, I opened enough gifts this morning, so I really don't need anymore. I'm not a child who needs to be spoiled on her birthday. I am an adult, who doesn't need her friends to buy her expensive gifts" admitted Raya.
"But we like to spoil you, so you have no choice but to accept all our gifts" informed James.
"And this year is special, because you turned 17, so we bought you even more presents" added Peter.
"Eugh, you guys are the worst" sighed Raya, as she made her way over the big pile of presents.

****
It took Raya a long time to open every single gift that the boys had got her.
One of her favourite presents, was a beautiful knife with a crimson handle, that Sirius had given her.
He had chosen not to just buy her jewellery that year, but to also get her something useful.
In his family it had been an old tradition to get a wizard a weapon when they became of age. Which is why he had decided to get her a knife, even though she was a girl, not a boy.
And since Raya had no magic, she would be able to use her knife on missions, to defend herself against death eaters.

"Thank you all for my gifts, you have been more than generous" said Raya.
"You know how much we love to spoil our Lioness" grinned James.
"Imagine if the Slytherins knew you had a knife. They would never dare to pick on you ever again" admitted Sirius.
"Well, I'm not going to go waving it around at school, as that would only get it confiscated. And I'm pretty sure we aren't allowed to carry weapons at Hogwarts" replied Raya.
"Everyone who has a wand, has a potential weapon. You're the only one who doesn't, and I don't like you being at a disadvantage to everyone else" reminded Sirius.

"I don't need a knife to defend myself, while I'm at school. And I don't want to get a reputation as someone who carries weapons. I don't need another reason for the other students to ostracise me" informed Raya.
"Is the bullying bad, without us there to protect you?" Asked Remus softly.
"No. I'm fine" answered Raya.
"Are you lying, so that we don't march into school to beat up your bullies?" Questioned Sirius.
"I am not lying... The Slytherins make the odd nasty remark about me being a Squib, every now and again, but no one has attacked me yet. Not even Alex Bulstrode. The other Gryffindors have my back, even without you there reminding them how cool I am. So, you don't need to worry about me, because I am fine. And even though you guys are not with me, I am enjoying being back at Hogwarts" admitted Raya.