77. Unjust

Raya managed to get a few hours of sleep that night, as her tiredness overwhelmed her desire to stay awake.
A small breakfast was provided for her the following morning, but despite her hunger, she couldn't eat much of it because she felt sick with fear.
Her stomach cramps had worsened during the night, but she was more concerned about Sirius's wellbeing, than her own.
Eventually her cell door was unlocked and a Ministry official came to take her to the court room.
"Amelia" Raya said weakly, as she recognised the Ministry employee.
"Hello Raya" replied Amelia.

Amelia Bones was in the Order like Raya, and her brother had been killed several months earlier.
"You're on the Wizengamot, aren't you?" Asked Raya.
"I am" answered Amelia.
"Will you vote in Sirius's favour?" Questioned Raya.
"There won't be a vote"
"What do you mean?"
"This isn't going to be a proper trial. Barty Crouch has enough evidence to convict Sirius of murder and send him to Azkaban, without the need for a long and formal trial"
"But that's illegal"
"The war is over. You-Know-Who is dead, and people want to burry the past and move on as quickly as possible".

"We can't just forget the past like it didn't happen. So many good people lost their lives; Edgar, Marlene, Dorcas. They can't be forgotten" insisted Raya.
"Everyone wants to put the trauma of their past behind them... Hardly anyone has mentioned Lily and James's deaths. All they care about is the downfall of You-Know-Who. Everyone is celebrating and having parties instead of mourning" revealed Amelia.
"That's wrong. My best friends didn't sacrifice their lives, for nothing. They were heroes and deserve to be remembered as such, not forgotten"
"I feel the same way as you. And I know you loved them very much"
"James was my brother. I loved him as much as you loved Edgar. Which is why you have to believe me when I say that I had nothing to do with his death".

"I believe you" announced Amelia.
"You do?" Questioned Raya.
"Not about Sirius, but about your innocence. I know in my heart that you would never betray those you care about. Which is why I will defend you at your trial in a few weeks time" promised Amelia.
"Thank you. Although I don't know what good it will do, if everyone thinks I am a traitor. One vote isn't enough to save me" replied Raya.
"I will do my best to convince them of your innocence. But right now, we need to get to court. Your brother is waiting for you".

Raya was disappointed when she saw that none of Sirius's family has shown up for his trial.
She had expected Walburga to be absent. But she had hoped that Andromeda would have attended, and maybe even Narcissa.
However, the only person waiting in the family section of the court room, was Remus.
"Raya, thank Merlin you're O.K. I've been so worried about you" sighed Remus, when Raya joined his side.
As Raya hugged Remus, she watched Amelia take a seat beside her colleagues.
"I'm fine" reassured Raya, as she released Remus.
"What the hell is going on then? These last few days have been a complete nightmare" replied Remus.
"I'll explain everything once this is over" promised Raya.

Once all the members of the Wizengamot were seated, Crouch entered the room and took his place in the judge's seat.
Raya could see Dumbledore sitting with the rest of the Ministry officials, as he was a part of the Wizengamot.
She glared daggers at him for betraying her and Sirius, before turning her attention back to her brother.
"Remember, don't say anything or interrupt the trial, or they will throw us out" whispered Remus.
"How do you know that?" Asked Raya.
"The Ministry employees told me as they escourted me inside" answered Remus.

"They can't expect me to remain silent as they convict my husband of crimes he did not commit" informed Raya.
"Please don't cause a scene" begged Remus.
"I will not stand by as they cart Sirius off to Azkaban" hissed Raya.
"You have to think about yourself and the baby now. You can't save Sirius".
Raya frowned at Remus.
"What?" Questioned Remus.
"Barty Crouch said something similar to me last night. Have you and him been talking?" Demanded Raya.

"He did interview me last night, and then again this morning" revealed Remus.
"And did he tell you to try and convince me to condem Sirius, to save my own skin?" Asked Raya.
"He only said that Sirius was a lost cause, but you weren't. So, there is still a chance for you to avoid Azkaban. Please Raya, do whatever they ask, because I can't lose you too" replied Remus.

Raya was saved from an argument with her brother, as the back doors suddenly swung open, and Sirius was dragged inside.
He wore a tatty grey and black striped prison uniform, and he had shackled wrists and ankles.
But what frightened Raya most of all was the haunted look in his eyes.
As Sirius spied Raya, his eyes widened, and she mouthed that she was O.K, in an attempt to reassure him.
Unfortunately though, Sirius's chair was faced away from her, so once he was sat down he could no longer see her.

Once Sirius was in position, Crouch banged his wooden hammer on the desk, making the room go silent.
"Sirius Orion Black. You have been brought here for the murder of 12 innocent Muggles, and the betrayal of Order secrets, which lead to the deaths of several of its members, including James and Lily Potter. You plead not guilty to all of these crimes, is that correct?" Questioned Crouch.
"Yes" mumbled Sirius.

"I see. Well, normal deceee states that a trial must be held, to determine whether or not you are guilty. However, in these particular circumstances, when dealing with death eaters, it is possible to convict such people of crimes, without the need for a trial. I have collected substantial evidence, from a large collection of witnesses, and all of this evidence proves your guilt. Therefore, I am sentencing you to life in Azkaban!" Announced Crouch.
"But I am innocent" insisted Sirius.
"The evidence has proven otherwise... Take him away!" Ordered Crouch.

Raya couldn't stand it any more.
As Ministry guards forcibly dragged Sirius from his seat, she got out of the stand and ran towards him.
"Sirius!" She cried.
"Raya!" Sirius yelled back.
Several wizards restrained Raya, stopping her from reaching Sirius.
"Get off of her! Leave my wife alone!" Screamed Sirius.
"I love you" shouted Raya, as Sirius was dragged from the room.
"I love you too!".

"Remove her from my court room" instructed Crouch, as he pointed at Raya.
As the guards attempted to move Raya, she was overcome with a sharp stabbing sensation in her belly, causing her to double over in pain.
"Raya. What's wrong?" Asked Remus, as he came over to join her.
Raya gasped in pain and dropped to her knees, as she felt her body trying to tear itself apart.

Suddenly her thighs felt wet, and as she looked down she saw that they were now drenched in blood.
"Oh my God... We need some help over here!" Shouted Remus.
Raya's vision began to swim and the room around her became a blur.
The last thing she saw before she blacked out was Remus's face staring down at her, promising her that everything was going to be alright.