44. Runes And Reassurance

After new year, Raya and Remus spent the rest of the holidays at home with their parents.
And although Raya enjoyed this quality family time, she couldn't wait to get back to Hogwarts.
She really felt like she belonged at Hogwarts, despite her lack of magic, and she called it her second home. It was the place where her and her friends could be themselves, without their parents influencing their behaviour.
Unfortunately though, as Sirius was still in detention with McGonagall, and James had Quidditch practice, and Remus had Prefect duties, the 5 Marauders weren't often together during the evenings.
This meant that Raya was either by herself, or with Peter.

One evening when Raya was studying at her favourite table in the common room, Peter entered the tower and made his way over to her.
"There you are. I was wondering where you were, since I didn't think homework club had a meeting tonight" said Raya, as Peter sat down next to her.
"I wasn't at homework club" admitted Peter.
"Then where were you?" Questioned Raya.
"I was in detention"
"Really? You got detention without Sirius and James's help? I'm impressed, and I expect they will be too, when they get back"
"Actually, I would prefer it if you didn't tell them that I was in detention".

Raya frowned, "Why not? They aren't going to judge you for getting a detention, since they get them all the time".
"It's not necessarily the detention I want to hide, but the reason" Peter said quietly.
"Why? What did you do?" Questioned Raya.
"I didn't get detention for doing something cool or for breaking any rules. I got it for failing my homework"
"That's not a big deal, Peter. Sirius and James used to get detentions for failing to hand in homework all the time"
"Yes, but they don't anymore. And I didn't fail to hand it in, I just failed to do it well enough to pass. My work was so bad I got a T, which is why I was given a detention".

"Nevermind. We all have one subject that we aren't as good at as others. And the boys won't be mean to you for getting a T" reassured Raya.
"It's not the only subject I'm failing. I'm really struggling with my NEWT work, because it's too hard. I wish I was smart like you and the others, instead of just being the stupid one in the group" admitted Peter sadly.
"You are smart, and don't let school exam results, tell you any differently. Not many students could successfully become an animagus, and create an incredible map of the castle that is one of a kind. You are just as amazing as the rest of us" insisted Raya.

"But you guys always get really good grades. I'm the only one who can't seem to keep up" reminded Peter.
"I study hard to get good grades, because I have to succeed in the written work, because I can't do magic. But you have a wand and can perform extraordinary magic with it. You don't think I'm stupid do you, because I can't do magic?" Asked Raya.
"No, of course not" answered Peter.
"Exactly. Which is why I don't think you are stupid for not being able to get Outstandings in the written work"
"Thank you Raya".

"You're welcome... But if getting good grades matters that much to you, then I will help you with your homework, whenever the others are out" offered Raya.
"Are you sure? I don't want to distract you from getting good grades yourself" replied Peter.
"Don't worry about me, my grades are just fine. Helping you won't bring me down, I promise" reassured Raya.
"Then I would be grateful for some help. You are such a good friend"
"So are you. You are one of the least chaotic and problematic members in our group, which is why you are the one who holds us all together"
"I'm glad you think so, because I was worried I didn't fit in as much as the others, because I'm not cool or intelligent"
"You are as much a part of the Marauders as anyone else. And we all love you like a brother... Now, stop moping around and get out your parchment and quill, so that I can show you some great tips on how to structure your essays so that you get better grades".
Peter grinned, "Yes, ma'am".

****
Raya and Peter worked together on homework until the other Marauders entered the common room.
"Can we have a rule that you can't sit with us after Quidditch unless you've had a shower" said Raya as she wrinkled her noise at James.
"Don't lie, you know you love the smell of sweat and mud" smiled James.
"I most certainly do not" mumbled Raya.

Peter immediately relinquished his seat as the others approached the table, so that Sirius could sit down beside Raya.
"Did you have fun in detention with McGonagall?" Teased Raya.
"Eugh, no. She's threatening to keep me in detention for the rest of the school year, and not just this term" revealed Sirius.
"Well, you did nearly get several people killed, which is why you are being punished" reminded Raya.
"I guess... What have you and Wormtail been up to?"
"Just studying. So, you haven't missed out on anything fun".

Sirius leaned over the table to look at the runes in Raya's notebook.
"Some of them are pretty cool looking" commented Sirius.
"You thinking about tattoo ideas, Padfoot?" Questioned James.
"Maybe" answered Sirius.
"It's just a shame that you don't know what any of them mean"
"Well, it's a good thing I have a genius girlfriend who studies Ancient Runes, who can tell me what they all mean".
Raya rolled her eyes, "I haven't got time to go through them all with you".
"Come on, you know you want to" encouraged Sirius.
"If you could tell me what you want the tattoo to represent then I could tell you which runes would fit that idea" replied Raya.
"You know me, I want something macho, that tells everyone I'm a powerful man".

Raya picked up her notebook, and began flicking through to find a rune that would suit Sirius.
"Well, there's Uruz, which is like strength, health, power, and creative energy. And the rune looks a bit like an n. Or there's Tiwaz which looks like an arrow, and it represents courage, victory, strength, and masculine energy" informed Raya.
"Oo, that definitely sounds like me, I am very masculine" boasted Sirius.
"I don't know about that. You should get a more feminine one" teased James.
"Oi, I can be very masculine, you know" replied Sirius.

"I think Hagalaz would suit you too, it represents hail, destruction, chaos, and interference. Which is definitely you" admitted Raya.
"What, I'm not destructive" insisted Sirius.
"As someone who shares a dormitory with you, I disagree" informed Remus.
"That's messy, which is not the same as destructive" countered Sirius.
"Well, Ingwaz and Elhaz could also both work for you" revealed Raya.
"Why don't you choose a few and write down their meanings. Then when we go home for the summer, I can get a whole bunch of runes around the lion on my chest" suggested Sirius.

"Oh sure, it's not like I'm already busy with the amount of work I have to do between now and summer" Raya said sarcastically.
Sirius threw his arm around her shoulders and kissed her cheek, "Come on, you know you love me".
"Alright fine, I'll choose some runes for you" sighed Raya.
"I knew you would" grinned Sirius.
"Well, you are a very hard person to say no to" replied Raya.
"And that's why you love me"
"Hmm, maybe".