24. Map Builders

The Marauders spent the rest of the Christmas break obsessing over the creation of the map. And by the end of February, James was sure that they had successfully set out what they intended to do.
"For the last time, are you sure about this?" Questioned Raya.
They were all stood around the desk in the boys dormitory, staring at the map they had just finished making, which currently looked just like a spare bit of parchment.
James nodded, "Yes, I'm certain that we've done everything right".
"I guess there's only one thing left to do, and that's to see if it works" admitted Sirius.
"Who wants to do it?" Asked Remus.
"I think James should do the honours. None of us would be here without him, and this was his idea afterall" reminded Raya.

James looked around at the others, "Are you sure you want me to be the one to do it?".
Sirius patted him on the back, "You've got this mate".
"Alright, here goes nothing" sighed James.
He removed his wand from his pocket and pointed it at the piece of parchment in front of him.
It looked old and boring at first glance, but if they had succeeded, it would become something incredible.
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" commanded James.

For an awkward moment, nothing happened, and they all began to think that they'd done something wrong.
But then words appeared in the centre of the piece of parchment.
James picked it up, and read aloud the writing that had appeared, "Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs, and their accomplice; the Lioness of Gryffindor, are proud to present the Marauders Map".
"Open it" encouraged Raya, who was struggling to hold back her excitement.
James obliged and began opening up the parchment, revealing the map underneath.
"I don't believe it, we actually did it" gasped Sirius, as they all began to inspect the map.

"Look, there's Filch, he's in his office" pointed out Peter.
"And Mrs Norris is up here" added Remus, as he pointed to another place on the map.
For the next few moments no one spoke, as they all looked at the map, to see where everyone was in the castle.
Nothing like this had ever existed before, and Raya thought it was amazing.
"Now for the real test, to close it, so that no one can see what we've done" said James.
The boys all took out their wands, and for a moment Raya felt sad that she couldn't join them, for she had no magic.
As they all pointed their wands at the map, Sirius placed his other arm around Raya's waist, instantly taking away the sad feeling inside her.

"Ready?" Questioned James.
Everyone nodded.
"Mischief Managed!" Shouted everyone in unison.
Even though Raya had no wand, she joined in saying the magic words, to stop herself from feeling so left out.
They all held their breaths and watched as the map faded away leaving nothing but a blank piece of parchment behind.
Once the map was gone, James put the parchment back on the table, and began jumping up and down in excitement.
"We did it!" Exclaimed James.

The others all mirrored his excitement, and began cheering loudly, as they ran around the room.
Sirius pulled Raya close and kissed her on the lips, while Remus's head was turned the other way.
"After months of hard work, we have succeeded once again, in doing what others would say is impossible" continued James.
"We make the impossible, possible" added Peter.
"Together, we are the most talented students to attend Hogwarts since the Founders left. There is nothing we can't achieve together" boasted James.

"I think we should test out the map's defence mechanism, before we start making proclamations like that" admitted Remus.
"Good idea. Peter, why don't you try and break into the map, without using the code?" Suggested James.
Peter nervously approached the map, and placed his wand against it.
"Um, map, open, please, it's Peter" he mumbled.
A moment later, a small paragraph of text appeared in the centre of the parchment, but the map did not follow.
"Mr Padfoot would like to remind Peter that he knows the password, and that he's stupid to forget it" Raya read aloud.
Sirius grinned, and leaned forward to read the next line, "Mr Prongs would like to add that nothing will happen without the password, and that Peter should know this, so he is foolish to try and get in without using it".

Remus joined in with the fun and read out the next part, "The Lioness encourages Peter to try again".
James then read out the final part of the paragraph, "And Mr Moony would prefer it if Peter didn't get up to no good with this parchment".
"We did it. The map will insult anyone who tries to open it without the code word!" Announced Sirius excitedly, as the paragraph faded, leaving nothing but a blank piece of parchment.

"And it encompasses all of our personalities. In the map you and James tease Peter, whereas I encourage him to try again, and Remus tries to give him a hint as to what the password is" smiled Raya.
"I think it's official then, we are the smartest people at Hogwarts!" Shouted James, before turning into Prongs and running around the room.
"What's our next little project going to be then, Prongs?" Asked Sirius, as James turned back into a human beside him.

Before James could answer, Raya placed herself inbetween them.
"I don't think either of you will be having any more projects for a while. You promised me that once you'd finished the map, you would focus on your OWLs. So, I don't want any of you doing any more extra curricular activities for the rest of the year" she said sternly.
James groaned, "Eugh, you are so boring".
"It's only for a few more months. You can come up with something new and dangerous to do when you come back for your 6th year" replied Raya.

"But OWL revision is so boring" complained James.
"You'll thank me for it in the long run, when you pass all your exams with flying colours. Besides, Lily Evans isn't going to consider dating someone who got Ts in his OWLs" replied Raya.
"Why do you always have to be right?" Moaned James.
"Because I'm wiser than you, and a girl, which means I am always right" smiled Raya.

Sirius placed his arm around her shoulders, "That you are. And since I did promise to revise for my exams if you didn't mention them before Christmas, I suppose I had better follow through with my end of the bargain".
"Yes, you'd better" said Raya sternly.
"You suck the fun out of everything, Lioness" sighed James.
"Not always... How about you grab the cloak, and we try out the map for the first time?" Suggested Raya.
James's face lit up, "You don't need to tell me twice".