52. Animal Secrets

To everyone's suprise, James and Lily's date actually went well, and the two started dating immediately afterwards.
This meant that Lily was an almost permanent member of the Marauders. And she was with them nearly every time they hung out together.
James told Lily everything and even showed her his invisibility cloak and the Marauders Map.
He wanted to tell Lily about him being an animagus, but he asked everyone else if they would be O.K with her knowing their biggest secret, before he told her.
Remus was hesitant at first for Lily to know that he was a werewolf, but eventually he agreed to include her in the secret.

Since all the Marauders would be staying at Hogwarts for the Christmas holidays, they decided this was the best place to show Lily what they got up to behind the teachers backs.
"Are you sure this is safe?" Questioned Lily, as they all made their way along the tunnel that lead to the Shrieking Shack.
"Of course it is" reassured Sirius.
"Do you really think I would bring you somewhere that wasn't safe?" Asked James.
"No, but didn't Severus nearly get killed down here?" Quizzed Lily.
"He did, but that was under different circumstances. And with us here with you, nothing will hurt you, I swear" promised James.
"Yeah, and it's not a full moon tonight, so you'll be fine" added Peter.
"Keep your mouth shut until we get there" scolded Raya.

"I still can't believe there is a secret passage under the Whomping Willow, that leads to the Shrieking Shack" admitted Lily.
"The tree was planted over the entrance to the tunnel, before our 1st year at school, to stop students from using it" revealed James.
"So, it was placed here to stop us from going to the shack?" Asked Lily.
"Actually, it was placed here for me. But we'll explain more in a minute" informed Remus.
"So, you guys have been sneaking down here for years?" Questioned Lily.
"Yep. Immobilising the tree is pretty easy when you know how. And the shack is the perfect place for us all to hang out without anyone else getting the way, since no one ever comes here, as people think it's haunted" answered Raya, as they all climbed up the ladder one by one, and entered the shack.

"So, this is it" said Lily, as she began looking around the destroyed house.
"Yep. It's our home sweet home" grinned Sirius.
"You could have fixed it up a bit" commented Lily.
"We used to, but then we just ended up destroying it again, so in the end we gave up making it look nice" revealed James.
"Well, now that we are here, are you going to tell me what I'm doing here?" Demanded Lily.
"I think it would be best if we showed you" sighed James.

Raya and Remus stood back as Sirius, James and Peter transformed into their animagus forms.
After roaming around the room for a bit, they turned back into humans.
"Ta da!" Announced James, once he was a human again.
"You're an animagus" gasped Lily.
"Yep. Me, Peter, and Sirius all transformed during our 5th year" replied James.

"But that is some really difficult magic" informed Lily.
"I know. But we are pretty brilliant when we work together" replied James.
"And you've managed to keep it a secret for this long"
"Since we technically broke the law, we didn't want anyone finding out that we were animagi. Which is why we have been so good at keeping it a secret. You are the first person we have told"
"But why go through all the trouble of doing it illegally? Why not just wait until you finished school?".

James looked at Remus, who nodded his head and took over the story.
"They wanted to become animagi, because of me. They wanted to keep me company, when my time of the month came" revealed Remus.
"So, they all decided to become animals, because werewolves are only really a threat to humans?" Asked Lily.
"Yes. You are taking this much better than I thought you would. I expected you to be a bit more shocked that I am a werewolf" replied Remus.
Lily bit her lip and looked away, "I've known for ages that you were a werewolf".

Raya's jaw dropped, "Did Severus tell you?".
"Nobody told me, I just figured it out for myself. It was easy for me to work out that you were always ill around the full moon, so I put two and two together. I've never told anyone though, or theorised with anyone about your Lycanthropy, Remus" admitted Lily.
"Why did you never confront me? Or tell me that you knew what I was?" Questioned Remus.
"I didn't want to make you uncomfortable. I knew you would tell me yourself if you wanted to. And if you didn't, then I thought it was best if I didn't bring it up" answered Lily.

"But you didn't mention it to me either. Surely you must have known that I knew the truth?" Quizzed Raya.
"I didn't want to talk to anyone about Remus, in case someone overheard. So, I decided to just keep my suspicions to myself" explained Lily.
"Well, I'm grateful to you for keeping my brother's secret" replied Raya.
"I can't believe I've spent all this time hiding Remus's furry little problem from you, when you've known all along" said James.
"It wouldn't have been right for you to tell me yourself, as it wasn't your secret to tell. It was up to Remus to decide when he was ready for me to know" replied Lily.

"So, you're not afraid of of me?" Questioned Remus quietly.
Lily shook her head, "Of course not".
"And you don't think I'm a monster?" Asked Remus.
"No. Just because you suffer from Lycanthropy, it doesn't mean you are a monster" insisted Lily, as she took hold of Remus's hands.
"Which is what I always tell him" admitted Raya.
"But I have hurt you in the past" Remus reminded Raya.
"That wasn't your fault, and I don't blame you for me getting hurt. I only got scratched because I was foolish enough to get too close to you when you were transformed. You had no control over your body at the time, so the fault is not with you" replied Raya.

"Now that Lily knows all our secrets, she can come marauding with us" grinned Peter.
"I don't think we will all fit under the cloak, Wormy, even if you were transformed" admitted James.
Lily raised an eyebrow, "Wormy?".
"It's short for Wormtail" explained Raya.
"Yeah, we all have nicknames relating to our other forms" added Sirius.
"I'm Prongs, Sirius is Padfoot, Peter is Wormtail, Remus is Moony, and Raya is Lioness" revealed James.

Lily rolled her eyes, "I can't believe you all have silly nicknames for each other".
"You didn't think I had matured completely, did you?" Grinned James.
"No. I don't think you will ever grow up, James Potter" answered Lily.
"If he did, I would make sure that he grew right back down again, as I don't want boring friends" informed Sirius.
"Now that you know the truth about us, you have to promise not to tell another soul about our furry persona's" James said sternly.
"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone about any of your secrets. You have my word" promised Lily.

"Good. Now, who thinks we should stay here and wait until it gets dark, so that we can go out and explore the grounds once everyone at the castle is asleep?" Suggested James.
"Prongs, it's like you read my mind" replied Sirius.
"Well, they do say great minds think alike" smiled James.
"And you and I definitely have great minds".

"Welcome to the Marauders, Lily" announced Raya.
"I'm not sure I'm ready to become a rule-breaking vigilante, like you guys, just yet" admitted Lily.
"Don't worry, we won't have you doing any big pranks just yet, we'll start you on something small first. Besides, you and James are Head Boy and Girl, so you can get us out of trouble whenever we need it" replied Sirius.
"Padfoot's right, with you on our side, we will never get in trouble again, because you can vouch for us. Nothing will stop the Marauders now!" added James.

James then placed his hand out in front of him, and one by one the other's joined him, forming a circle.
"What are we doing?" Whispered Lily, as she tentatively placed her hand in like everyone elses.
"You'll see" Raya whispered back.
"Ready?" Questioned James.
Everyone nodded before chanting their catchphrase together in unision, "I solemnly swear, that I am up to no good!".