80. Unhappy Ever After

Once Dumbledore had gone, Raya headed inside and found Remus, who was sitting in the living room with Jamie in his arms.
"You were a long time" commented Remus.
"Yes, well Dumbledore and I had a lot to talk about" admitted Raya, as she took a sleeping Jamie from Remus.
"Is Dumbledore not coming in?" Questioned Remus.
"No"
"Where's he gone then?"
"I don't know and I don't care. But I'm pretty sure that's the last we'll see of him for a while".

Remus frowned, "What have you done?".
"Nothing. I just put Dumbledore in his place and told him that he's not as great as everyone thinks he is. I also informed him that I will never forgive him for his treatment of us" answered Raya.
"What do you mean? Dumbledore hasn't treated us badly. He let us both attend Hogwarts" reminded Remus.
"And that makes him a saint, does it? Because he let us go to school, we have to excuse him of all his failings?"
"One mistake does not take away a life full of good deeds"
"And doing one thing right does not mean you are forgiven for all the bad things you did".

"What exactly did you and Dumbledore discuss out there? And why do you seem to hate him all of a sudden?" Demanded Remus.
"He told me that he doesn't think we could raise Harry together, because I'm a Squib and you're a werewolf. He says he will fight us in court for the rights of Harry, if we don't let him take the boy. He also wants us to stay out of Harry's life. So, from now on, we must stay away from Harry, until he turns 11 and can learn about the wizarding world" revealed Raya.
"Wait! You actually agreed to these demands?" Questioned Remus.
"I had no choice. Whatever Dumbledore wants, he gets, and those who stand against him don't live long".

"But Harry belongs with us" insisted Remus.
"I agree. But Dumbledore thinks differently. He wants Harry to stay with his Muggle family. He believes that Lily's self sacrifice is kept alive in Petunia's blood. So, by keeping Harry at the Dursley's, Dumbledore thinks he's protecting Harry from dark forces. I tried to convince him that the Potter Manor is protected by old and powerful magic, and that no one can enter without the owners permission. But Dumbledore does whatever he likes, and no one could ever come up with a better plan than him apparently. No matter what we do, there is no way for us to get Harry back... The only compromise I got, was that Dumbledore has to stay away from Harry too, and he has to keep away from us as well" informed Raya.

"What is so good about Dumbledore staying away? We need him" reminded Remus.
"No, we don't. And I will not rely on an old untrustworthy man, to keep my family safe. We relied on him in the past, and we lost all of our friends" replied Raya.
"You can't blame Dumbledore for their deaths" sighed Remus.
"I can, and I will. If he had protected his Order better, then talentless Peter wouldn't have been able to get them all killed"
"Dumbledore didn't know Peter was the traitor, so he can't have known that he needed to protect the Order against its own members".

"Who knows what Dumbledore really knew and what he didn't. Maybe he wanted James and Lily to die, so he didn't stop Peter from betraying them" suggested Raya.
"How can you even say that?" Gasped Remus.
"Well, he got what he wanted didn't he? Voldemort is gone, and the Chosen One is now under his control. Who's to say that he wasn't the one pulling the strings all along" said Raya coldly.
"What you are suggesting, is ridiculous!"
"Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that I don't trust him, and I don't want him in our lives anymore. We are not pawns for him to move about and dispose of when we are no longer of use to him. We got corrupted and manipulated by him, but I won't let my son end up like us".

"How are we going to raise Jamie without Dumbledore's help?" Asked Remus.
"We have each other, and this house, what more do we need? We can get jobs in the future, when Jamie is older. And we don't need Dumbledore's assistance to get Muggle jobs. We don't need help from him, we can do this ourselves" announced Raya.
"You weren't so sure of that yesterday" replied Remus.
"Well, I had just given birth, and lost my husband and my best friends, so I was rather distraught. But now, I am more determined than ever, to give my son the best life possible".

"Do you really think we can do it alone?" Questioned Remus.
"We don't have a choice. From now on, the only people we can trust and rely on, are each other. I also don't intend to ever keep secrets from you or Jamie. Secrets and lies are what ruined our lives. So, I do not intend on carrying on that trend. No matter how painful the truth is, I will tell it. For keeping secrets only leads to disasters like this" admitted Raya.
"Well, if you think we can do it, then I promise I will be at your side every step of the way. I am your brother and I will not let you down" promised Remus.
"The Squib and the werewolf, who knew they would be the ones to survive the war? I certainly never would have guessed it... My son will have the best life that I can give him, and nothing will stop me from doing whatever it takes to keep him safe. From this day forward, Jamie comes first!".

******************
Thank you for reading book 1 of my The Squib and the Werewolf series. I hope you liked it.

While you wait for book 2, feel free to check out some of my other work if you like (I promise they aren't all as long as this one).

If not, have a great day!