22. Slytherin Boys

After Raya's last class that day, Regulus approached her, with an awkward look on his face.
"So, I guess you're dating my brother now" sighed Regulus, once everyone had left the room.
"Yep. That shouldn't bother you, since he's been my best friend for years" reminded Raya.
"There is a big difference between being friends with someone and dating them" replied Regulus.
"I suppose so. Does that mean you do object to me being with Sirius?"
"No, my brother is free to go out with whoever he likes. I'm just worried about what my parents will say when they find out that Sirius is dating a, um...".

Raya frowned, "A Squib?".
"No, I was going to say a half-blood" admitted Regulus.
"Sirius has dated girls before, some of which were half-bloods, so why is him dating me so different?" Questioned Raya.
"Because those relationships were short lived, and my parents never found out about them. But with you I think things will be different"
"What makes you say that?"
"I know that Sirius really cares about you, and now that you two are dating, I suspect he cares for you even more. Which means I have a hunch that you two will stay together for a while"
"Thanks for the vote of confidence, but we have only been dating for a day. It's nice to know you have faith in our relationship though".

"Look, if you do stay together for a while, my parents will find out, which would be really bad" admitted Regulus.
"I don't think Sirius plans on telling them, especially as neither of us are going home for Christmas this year" replied Raya.
"They'll find out even if he doesn't tell them. Someone at school is bound to let something slip at one of my parents pure-blood parties. And when my mother finds out, she will punish Sirius"
"I don't want Sirius to get hurt anymore than you do. But he has to live his own life. He can't let your mother dictate his future"
"You don't know what my mother is like, or what she is capable of".

Raya sighed, "Yes, I do".
"Wait, Sirius told you?" Questioned Regulus.
"Actually, he showed me. I've seen his scars, and I know what your mother has put you both through" revealed Raya.
"I'm suprised he told you. It was supposed to be a family secret" replied Regulus.
"We have no secrets from each other. And Sirius doesn't intend on being pushed around by Walburga anymore. He can do magic now, so he can protect us from your mother"
"I don't think anyone can protect me"
"No, I fear that you are right. With Sirius being who he is, your mother needs one son who can bring the family honour"
"Yes. And unfortunately that son has to be me".

"Sirius feels awful about the position he has put you in" admitted Raya.
"What's done is done, there's no going back now. If he has chosen the self-destruct path, then I at least want him to be happy. If mother does disown him, I need to know that he won't be alone" said Regulus.
"I will always be there for Sirius. Even if we break up, I will support him. He was my friend before all this, and nothing will ever change that" insisted Raya.
"Good. Well then, I hope you can make each other happy. See you around, Raya"
"Bye Regulus".

As Raya exited the classroom she bumped straight into someone going the other way.
"Hey, watch where you're..." Raya faltered when she realised who had walked into her.
"Not so brave without your friends around" mocked Severus.
"What do you want, Snape?" Questioned Raya.
"To have a word with you" answered Severus.
"Why?"
"Because you upset Lily"
"I did nothing of the sort"
"She was trying to be nice and protect you from that scumbag; Sirius Black, and you threw it back in her face".

"Lily was being rude about my friends, so I defended them. Besides, I do not need my friends or Lily to protect me, I can take care or myself" insisted Raya.
"I don't think that's true. Afterall, you have no magic" reminded Severus.
Raya's palms began to sweat nervously.
Even though she was not outnumbered, Severus was very different to Alex Bulstrode.
Severus knew more dark magic than anyone at the school, and he was very good at non-verbal magic. Which meant that fighting him wasn't really an option.

"So, you're going to attack me in the middle of the corridor are you, Snivellus?" Questioned Raya.
"I would really like to" answered Severus.
"I don't know why Lily bothers wasting her time on you. She's a good person, and you're not" replied Raya.
"You're no saint either"
"I don't claim to be. But at least I don't pick on unarmed girls"
"You and your friends pick on me, and there's five of you, so that isn't really fair either".
Severus pushed Raya against the wall, and an evil grin filled his face.
"You don't want to do this" informed Raya.
"Oh, I really do" replied Severus.

Raya gestured for Severus to turn around.
"No, you really don't" admitted Raya, as the rest of the Marauders came down the corridor.
"Get away from her!" Shouted James, as him and Sirius withdrew their wands.
"He said, get your hands off my sister" added Remus, as he took out his own wand.
Severus took a step back from Raya, and pointed his wand at the Marauders.

But before Severus could use his wand, he was hanging upside down by his ankles.
"Are you alright Raya?" Asked Remus.
"I'm fine" reassured Raya.
"Nice one Padfoot" praised James, when the boys reached Raya and Severus.
"Thanks, do you want to take over?" Offered Sirius.
"It would be my pleasure" replied James.

Sirius removed his spell, allowing Severus to drop into a heap on the floor.
He then made his way around Severus towards Raya, kicking Severus's wand away from him as he passed.
"Are you sure you're O.K? Did he hurt you?" Asked Sirius.
Raya shook her head, "No, you turned up just in time".
Sirius leant forward and kissed Raya's head, "I'm sorry we couldn't get here sooner. McGonagall held us back after Transfiguration, to tell us all off".
"That's alright. I got delayed as well, talking to your brother" revealed Raya.

"What did Regulus want?" Questioned Sirius.
"To warn me that us dating was risky, because your mother won't take it well. But he also said he thinks we will be together for a while, because we are right for each other" answered Raya.
"Well, he's got a point" smiled Sirius.
"Oi, you two, can you make out later, once we've dealt with this loser" shouted James.
Raya and Sirius turned away from each other to look down at Severus who was still lying on the floor.

"How many times must we tell you this, Snivellus? If you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us" reminded James.
Sirius kissed Raya's cheek, before taking hold of her hand and pulling her around Severus, to where the others were stood.
"This has nothing to do with you, Potter" spat Severus.
"You were picking on my friend, that makes you my problem" informed James.
"I wasn't picking on her. We were just having a discussion about her being rude to Lily".

James frowned and looked over at Raya.
"Is this true, you were mean to Lily?" He questioned.
"I wasn't going to tell you guys, because I didn't see the point, but Lily cornered me and started mouthing off about you all. I defended you obviously, and she continued saying that you are all awful people. She told me not to date Sirius, and I told her that she had no say in what I do. In the end she accepted my decision, and we parted ways. I would never be rude to her James, because I know how much you care about her. Anyway, I thought me and Lily had put the incident behind us, but then Severus comes along and backs me into a corner, accusing me of being the bad one" explained Raya.

James turned back to Severus, "If Lily had wanted to fight Raya, she would have done so, because she is strong enough to look after herself. She doesn't need you picking fights on her behalf. You clearly underestimate how amazing she is".
"You don't even know her, Potter" snapped Severus.
"That will change, once she realises how right we are for each other. Anyway, back to the present. You need to be punished for being mean to Raya. Rictusempra!" Shouted James.
Severus began writhing on the floor, unable to reach his wand to stop the tickling charm.
"Make it stop" begged Severus.
"No chance" grinned James.
"It's only the tickling spell, it doesn't hurt you. You're just a big baby" mocked Sirius.
"Yeah, he's such a wimp" added Peter.

"Potter! What is going on?".
The Marauders turned around and saw McGonagall heading down the corridor towards them.
"Uh oh. Scram!" Yelled James.
The group leapt over Severus who was still wriggling on the floor, and charged down the corridor before McGonagall could stop them.
Once they were out of sight, James threw his arm around them and grinned, "Another plan, perfectly executed. Come on, lets head to the great hall, because I'm starving".
"Race you there, Prongs" replied Sirius.
"You're on" said James, as he began charging down the corridor, with the others following closely behind him.