12. Not Quite Grown Ups

1st of September 1975

Raya leaned back in her seat, and watched as the world outside the window flew by at top speed.
Going back to Hogwarts on the train was always one of her favourite things to do.
Spending all day inside a private train compartment with the other Marauders, was something Raya thoroughly enjoyed.
"I'm glad that month is over" admitted James.
"Me too. I was getting fed up with holding that Mandrake leaf under my tongue" replied Sirius.
"I thought I'd never get that taste out of my mouth" said Peter, as he grimaced and stuck out his tongue.
"Well, we had to do it during the holidays, so that the teachers didn't get suspicious of what we were up to" reminded James.

"I'm suprised you managed to do it, James. I mean, we all know how much you love to talk" teased Raya.
"Rude" mumbled James.
"But true" grinned Sirius.
"Do you really think you've done everything right?" Questioned Remus.
"According to the books we've read, yes. In a few weeks time the potion will be ready for us to take, and then the transformation process will be complete" answered James.
"I can't wait to see what animal my animagus form is going to be" said Peter excitedly.
"Me neither. I bet it is going to be something magnificent" grinned James.

"I wish I could become animagi with you" sighed Raya sadly.
"I'd love to see what your spirit animal is, but I guess we'll never know. And that's O.K. Remus will never be an animagus either, so you won't be the left one out" promised Sirius.
"But if you are all going to be sneaking off together each night, in your animagus forms, you're going to forget about me" mumbled Raya.
"We could never forget about you. Besides, we will only need to be animagi on full moons, so that we can keep Remus company. Every other night, we will be in our human forms, just like you and Remus. We are not going to leave you out. You're a Marauder, just like the rest of us"
"Thanks Sirius".

"So, Raya are you looking forward to starting your third year classes?" Questioned James.
Raya nodded, "Yep. I can't wait to start Ancient Runes".
"Marlene used to tell me that Ancient Runes was the hardest class at the school, and that she regretted doing it" revealed Sirius.
"But I'm sure that Raya is smarter than your ex-girlfriend, so she won't have any trouble with the subject" replied James.
"Regulus is also doing Ancient Runes this year, so you could always copy off of him" Sirius said to Raya.
"I do not copy, because that is cheating" insisted Raya.

Sirius glanced at James and the pair chuckled.
"Me and James love to share our work with each other. Sharing is caring, afterall" admitted Sirius.
"That's probably why you end up in so many detentions together" scolded Remus.
"Alright, calm down Mr Prefect. Just because you've got a shiny P on your robes, it doesn't mean you have to become all sensible" replied Sirius.
"Dumbledore clearly expects me to keep you lot under control, which is why he picked me to be a Prefect" admitted Remus.
"Well, he wasn't going to pick me or Peter. And I expect James spends too much time in detention, to be a Prefect. Which is why Dumbledore chose you".

"I never had any interest in being a Prefect" informed James
"Really? I thought you would have been picked over Remus" admitted Peter.
"Well, I didn't. I never wanted that role. I don't want to be stuck looking after first years, when I could be at Quidditch training, or pranking Snivellus. So, I'm glad that Remus got chosen instead of me" replied James.
"You're really not mad?" Remus asked quietly.
"Nope. I'm pleased for you mate" insisted James.
"Thanks" replied Remus.

"I hope that my brother can make you all behave a bit better. This is your OWL year afterall, and you have important exams which you need to pass" reminded Raya.
"We've still got the rest of the year to go, before we need to be worrying about exams" replied Sirius.
"Well, if I was in your shoes I would start revising as soon as I got to Hogwarts" informed Raya.
"It's a good thing I'm not you then. Because I'm pretty sure I can leave my revision until the night before the test, and still pass"
"Please don't do that"
"Alright. I will promise to do some proper revision, but only if you promise not to mention our upcoming OWLs again, before Christmas"
"Deal".

"So, now that that's out of the way, who is going to join me on the Quidditch team this year?" Questioned James.
"Not me. I'm going to have far too much on my plate now that I'm a Prefect" answered Remus.
"And I don't think I'm good enough to get onto the team" Peter said quietly.
"O.K, what about you two?" James asked Raya and Sirius.
"You know I'm not a flyer. I like to have my feet on the ground" admitted Raya.
"Well, I think this year is the perfect time for me to try out for the team" announced Sirius.
James fist punched the air before leaning forward and high fiving Sirius, "That's my man".

"Are you going to be a Seeker, like Regulus?" Asked Raya.
"No, I don't want to have to face him on the field like that. Besides, being a Seeker is his thing not mine. I think I might go for Chaser or Keeper" answered Sirius.
"I'd love to have you beside me as a Chaser. Together, we'd be unstoppable. I just wish I was the Gryffindor Quidditch Captain, because then I could let you on the team, and you wouldn't even have to try out" admitted James.
"That's probably why McGonagall didn't choose you to be Captain. You can't show favouritism towards your friends" replied Remus.

"I think you'd make a great Captain, James. Maybe next year McGonagall will give you the position" suggested Raya.
"I hope so. Perhaps I just need to show her how responsible I can be" replied James.
Sirius grinned, "You? Responsible".
Everyone in the compartment laughed, including James.
"O.K, so maybe I'm just not meant to be placed in a position of power, because I can't be trusted" sighed James.
"You have other talents, mate. And we will always love you" replied Sirius.
"Thanks Sirius. You've always got my back" smiled James.
"Yep, you can always rely on me".