26. A Step Too Far

Raya couldn't see as much of the others during exam season, because she didn't want to distract them. But she made sure to always try and catch up with them after they had a test.
She had a free period during the boys Defence Against the Dark Arts essay, so she sat under their favourite beech tree and waited for them to finish.
"Well, how'd it go?" Quizzed Raya, when she looked up from her book and saw the boys approaching.
"Very well, there was a question on werewolves" grinned James, as they all sat down around her.
"I'm sure you all aced that one then" replied Raya.
Sirius kissed her cheek and put his arm around her, "Yep, I'll be surprised if we don't all get Outstandings"
"You know the saying, don't count your chickens before they've hatched" said Raya sternly.

"You worry too much" sighed James, before pulling a snitch out of his pocket.
"Where did you get that?" Questioned Raya.
"I nicked it" answered James.
He then let the snitch fly away before leaning forward and catching it at the last second, making Peter applaud loudly.
"You're not a Seeker" reminded Raya.
"That doesn't mean I can't have fun messing around with a Snitch" replied James.
"I think there are far better things to do with your time, but go ahead" sighed Raya.

James continued playing with the Snitch for several more minutes, until Sirius got fed up.
"Put that away will you, before Wormtail wets himself with excitement" sighed Sirius.
James shrugged and placed the snitch back into his pocket, "If it bothers you".
"I'm bored. I wish it was a full moon" admitted Sirius.
"You might" mumbled Remus.
"He's right, you shouldn't joke about the full moon. The fact that my brother can turn into a werewolf, should not be abused for your amusement" scolded Raya.
"No, you're right. I'm sorry Moony" apologised Sirius.

"That's alright... We've got Transfiguration tomorrow, so if you're bored you could test me, or test yourself" offered Remus, as he handed Sirius his revision book.
"I don't need to look at that rubbish, I know it all" insisted Sirius.
Raya raised an eyebrow, "I somehow doubt that".
"Don't tell me you're going to make me revise as well?" Sirius asked Raya, as he handed Remus back his book.
"No, even I wouldn't make you revise straight after you came out of an exam" replied Raya.
"Good. That means I can enjoy the sun, with you" smiled Sirius.

"This will liven you up, Padfoot" informed James, as he pointed across the grounds.
The Marauders all looked to where James was pointing, and saw Severus Snape sitting nearby.
"Excellent. Snivellus" grinned Sirius.
"Let's go and have some fun" announced James, as he jumped to his feet.
The others all copied, and Raya sighed, as she knew what was about to happen, and she knew she wasn't going to like it.

"All right, Snivellus?" Questioned James loudly.
Severus leapt up and rummaged around for his wand, but James was faster.
"Expelliarmus!" Shouted James, causing Severus's wand to fly out of his hand.
"Impedimenta!" Followed Sirius, knocking Severus over.
Some other 5th years approached the scene, and laughed as Severus was tripped up.
"How'd the exam go, Snivelly?" Asked James.
"I was watching him, his nose was touching the parchment the whole time. So, there'll be grease marks all over it, and the examiners won't be able to read a word" joked Sirius.
This caused those around them to laugh, but no one laughed harder than Peter.
"Good one Padfoot" praised Peter.

Over the years, the Marauders had not matured. And despite Raya's best efforts they still enjoyed attacking Severus at every opportunity.
"You- you wait" spat Severus, as he struggled against the invisible robes holding him down.
"Wait for what? What are you going to do, Snivellus? Wipe your nose on us" mocked Sirius.
Severus began shouting and swearing loudly in retaliation.
"Wash your mouth out with soup. Scourgify!" Said James, causing pink soup bubbles to stream out of Severus's mouth, making him gag and choke, while everyone continued laughing.
Raya was appalled by what was happening, and couldn't believe that people were laughing, while Severus was struggling to breathe. And she felt that the boys had taken things a step too far.

"This is wrong" Raya hissed in Sirius's ear.
"We are just letting off some steam, after a hard exam. It's just a bit of harmless fun" insisted Sirius.
"Not for him" replied Raya.
Before Raya could intercede, Lily Evans pushed her way through the crowds and approached James.
"Leave him alone!" Snapped Lily.
"All right, Evans?" Asked James, as he ran his fingers through his hair.
"Leave him alone! What's he ever done to you?" Questioned Lily.
"It's more the fact that he exists, if you know what I mean"
"You think you are so funny. But you're just an arrogant, bullying toerag, Potter. Leave him alone!".

"Alright, I'll leave him alone, if you go out with me. Go on, go out with me, and I'll never lay a wand on old Snivelly again" announced James.
"I wouldn't go out with you, if it were a choice between you and the giant squid" spat Lily.
"Oo, bad luck Prongs" grinned Sirius.
Not wanting to watch James fail to court Lily for the hundredth time, Raya turned back to look at Severus, who was no longer gagging on soap.
This was when she realised that the Impediment jinx had worn off.
Without a wand of her own, Raya could not stop Severus, as he pointed his at James.
So, she did the only thing she could think of, and pushed James to one side, taking the full force of Severus's spell, herself.

Raya gasped as Severus's spell slashed her throat, and blood began pouring down her neck, staining her robes.
"Raya!" Shouted all the Marauders at once.
James flicked his wand at Severus, causing him to hang upside down, revealing his skinny pale legs to all the onlookers.
Remus and Sirius rushed to Raya's side, and began inspecting her wound.
"We need to get you to Madam Pomfrey" informed Remus, as he pulled his sister away from Lily and James who were still arguing over Severus.

Sirius ripped a piece of his shirt off, using his wand, and gave it to Raya, so that she could push it against the cut on her neck.
"How do you feel?" He asked softly.
"Woozy" mumbled Raya.
"Don't worry, Madam Pomfrey will be able to fix you up, once we've dealt with Snivellus" promised Sirius, before turning back to face Severus, with anger in his eyes.
"Come on let's go" encouraged Remus.
"No. I want to stay and watch what happens" announced Raya.
"But you can barely stand up" replied Remus.
"I'll be fine. Come on, let's rejoin the others"
"Fine".

As they approached the others, they saw James flick his wand, allowing Severus to plummit towards the ground.
"You're lucky Evans was here, Snivellus, otherwise you would have met a very sticky end for daring to attack Raya" informed James.
"You know very well that I was aiming for you, Potter. Besides, I don't need help from filthy little Mudbloods like her" spat Severus.
"Fine. I won't bother in future. And I'd wash your pants, if I were you, Snivellus" said Lily cooly.
"Apologise to Evans" ordered James.
"I don't want you to make him apologise. You're as bad as he is" replied Lily.
"What? I'd never call you, a you know what" insisted James.

"Messing up your hair because you think it looks cool, to look like you've just got off a broomstick, showing off with that stupid snitch, walking down corridors and hexing anyone who annoys you just because you can- I'm suprised your broomstick can get off the ground with that fat head on it. You make me sick" spat Lily, before turning her back on them all and marching back towards the castle.
"What is with her?" Frowned James.
"Reading between the lines, I'd say she thinks you're a little conceited, mate" replied Sirius.

"Who cares what she thinks" mumbled James, before flicking his wand, and sending Severus back up into the air.
"Who wants to see me take off Snivelly's pants?" Questioned James.
The crowd began to giggle and cheer.
"You wouldn't dare" spat Severus.
James smiled, "Want to bet?".
Normally Raya would have stuck up for Severus, but he had just attacked her with magic, so she was not feeling particularly merciful.

"On the count of three. One, two thr- started James.
"What on earth is going on here?" Interupted McGonagall, as she pushed her way towards them.
James quickly dropped Severus onto the floor.
"Explain yourself Potter" ordered McGonagall.
"He attacked Raya, because she's a Squib. We were just defending her" insisted James, as he pointed at Raya, who's neck was continuing to bleed.
"Alright, you take Miss Lupin to the hospital wing, so that Madam Pomfrey can take a look at her, while I deal with Mr Snape" instructed McGonagall.
James didn't need to be told twice, so he headed over to Raya, and the Marauders all began dragging her towards the hospital wing, so that she could receive medical attention.