Chapter Five

Benny, for his part, worked quietly and the day went well, without too many important commitments. It was a perfect day. Or at least, it was.
His mind went back to Frida's house, her bedroom, her breathtaking body, her crazy kisses and... to the way he had left her.
With a note.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
He had been stupid.
How could he have left her like this?
He thought of calling her to apologize, but he figured how angry she could be.

But why should I apologize?

he said to himself.

We are not together, we are not a couple, we do not love each other.

His own words hurted him, why?

They weren't supposed to love each other, but maybe he did.

No, Andersson! Reason! You have nothing to do with her.

He didn't even believe what he was saying, but it had to be, they must don't love each other.

He wasn't sure about those words, but he went out of his way to convince himself that this was the right thing.

From the moment he started thinking about Frida and what he had done, the day only got worse.

He stopped working because he didn't have any important things to do, he opened the glass cabinet in his office and pulled out a bottle of liquor.

Better to drink than think of Frida he thought.

When things seemed like they couldn't get any worse, someone knocked on the door. Benny even thought of pretending he wasn't there, but he didn't have time to reply that Mona walked into the office.

"Hey honey, what a bad look you have, what happened to you?" Mona said worriedly, or so it seemed.

"Nothing," he said.

"It doesn't look like, there's a bottle of liquor on the table, you shouldn't be drinking at work," Mona said as she sat next to him, too close to him for his liking.

"None of your business, Mona, and I'm the boss, who could punish me?"

"What is it, huh, is that scullery girl not enough for you?"

Who was she talking about? Frida. But how was that possible. Mona shouldn't have known about what happened between Benny and Frida, yet he was sure she meant her.

"Don't even mention her, Mona"

"I was right" she smirked "and if you want I can help you" she said too confidently for him.

"How do you know it?"

"What? How do I know who you slept with? I know you, Andersson. I saw you at the shopping center, I was doing some shopping. A couple like you two certainly don't go unnoticed" she said "and still, I know you, if you see a nice girl you take her to bed, no matter what".

"Shut up, Nörklit"

"Oh, love, you shouldn't be mad at me, but with her" Mona whispered close to his ear.

"I'm not your love." Benny said firmly.

"Are you sure? "Mona said in a deep, sensual tone.

Benny jumped out of his chair, making her jump.

"Out of here. Now."

"Oh honey, you should calm down, got it love? Take it easy" she said, and left the room as if nothing had happened.

Benny was furious.

How dare she say these things and talk about Frida in this way?

He would never allow anyone to offend Frida or hurt her, in any way.

But why did he feel compelled to protect Frida?
He would have defended every woman with his eyes closed, but with Frida it was different.
She was powerful and strong, but he saw her so delicate, so defenseless in a jungle of working beasts ready to jump on her.

Get her out of your head, Andersson!

But how? As "all roads lead to Rome", his every thought led him to Frida, it was inevitable.

Everything he saw or heard brought him back to Frida. It shouldn't have been like this at all.

There was nothing between them, there could be nothing, it was impossible. She was free and he was, too.

After a while Benny came home, he could no longer stay in that office where Mona had tried to persuade him, he was disgusted. Right now he needed Frida, desperately, and he didn't know why.