Chapter Twenty-Three

Back home, Frida didn't really know how to tell her almost-husband that they were having a mini Benny or a mini Frida....She could have simply told him 'Benny I'm pregnant' but she couldn't, she knew it.Frida was happy to be expecting, she would be 32 in November and had always wanted a baby but had never found the right man, but Benny came into her life and she couldn't be happier.Frida threw herself down on the sofa, smiled tenderly and stroked her belly.The doctor had said she was about two months pregnant so, doing some maths, she would be six months in October.

She began to imagine herself in a beautiful white wedding dress that highlighted her belly where the fruit of her and Benny's love was growing.

Benny came home around six o'clock in the evening. He walked into the penthouse door, took off his shoes and unbuttoned his shirt a little.

"Frida, I'm back." No reply.

"Anni-Frid?"

Benny went to the kitchen and Frida was not there, went to the bathroom and Frida was not there, finally went to the living room and saw her.
Her red hair flowed down her face in soft ringlets, she slept and smiled, her right hand under her right cheek and her left hand on her belly.

He smiled and sat down next to her and moved her hair away from her face, he put his hand on her cheek kissing her forehead repeatedly and so she began to wake up.

"Good evening my love" Benny said kissing her lips.

"Mmh" Frida said savouring the taste of Benny's lips.

"How did you sleep beauty?"

"Fine" Frida groaned.

The two ordered pizza for dinner, Frida didn't feel like cooking at all, her mood from happy began to return to grey and gloomy.
She became worried again about how she was going to tell Benny about her being pregnant.

The pizza arrived, but Anni-Frid no longer looked the happy one she had just woken up.
Benny looked at her several times trying to understand what was wrong with her, he didn't want to burden her with questions, so he decided to talk about cheerful topics, their marriage for example, but Frida's face didn't change, she smiled from time to time to show she was listening and then went back to staring blankly.

"What's wrong, Frid?" she finally decided to ask.

Frid returned to reality and shook her head "Huh?"

"I asked what's wrong" he said closing the empty pizza box.

"Nothing" she replied looking away.

"No way, you've drastically changed your mood. What's wrong honey? You can tell me everything you know"

"Nothing in particular" she said holding back tears "A bit of stress and anxiety, you know, work, marriage..."

"Love..." Benny pulled her into a hug and she burst into tears. Actually those weren't the real reasons for her feeling worried, but she couldn't tell him yet, she couldn't.

It had now been two weeks since Frida had found out she was pregnant and she still hadn't told Benny.
The nausea and symptoms continued and Benny had become more and more worried, begging Frida to go to a doctor and she promised to go at the beginning of the new week.

It was Sunday and the two of them were walking around Gallerian, one of Stockholm's largest shopping centres when they came across a shop selling baby and children's items. Now is the right time, Frida thought.

"Benny, can we go into this shop for a moment? I'd like to buy something for uhmm" Damn, she said to herself, then brightened up "I want to buy something for Linda".

What a brilliant idea, she told herself satisfied.

"Sure baby"

Frida started wandering around the shop without knowing exactly where to go.
Five minutes passed and she finally decided to go to the newborn department.
Benny was confused, Linda was not a newborn, she was three and a half years old... but he decided to follow Frida without saying anything.

"Benny! Look at this!" Frida said pointing to a beige onesie, it had a hood with bear ears and the sleeves resembled paws.

"It's beautiful, but don't you think Linda is a little big for this onesie?"

"In fact, it's not for Linda."

Benny looked even more confused.

Frida took the onesie with trembling hands, looked Benny in the eye and tears began to well up in her eyes.
She laid the onesie on her belly and waited.

Benny was shocked.

He didn't understand.

What was happening.

"Benny-"

"Frida, are you-"

"I'm pregnant," she finally said.

Benny screamed covering his mouth with his hands. He threw himself to the ground and fell onto his knees and began to cry.

Frida also burst into tears.She helped him up and they embraced each other crying.
The shop assistants had tears in their eyes, it was too sweet a scene.

When Benny regained his strength, he took Frida in his arms, spinning her around in the air.

"We're going to have a baby!" he said, smiling.