Chapter Twenty-Eight

February 21st

Frida had just woken up, 6.30am. By now getting out of bed had become impossible, her belly was huge and she found it hard to sleep at night. She took a deep breath and got up, holding her baby bump. Benny was sleeping, blissfully by her side. She decided to let him sleep, that night had been hell. The baby did nothing but kick and punch her poor mother .Benny stayed awake with her all night, massaging her feet, her belly, trying to ease the pain.

Frida went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. She opened the fridge, but as soon as she did she felt a lake between her legs. Damn, damn, damn. Frida found the courage to run a hand between her legs and she was soaked wet. She knew what was happening, her water had broken.

"Benny" she tried to call out to him but it was obvious that he didn't hear her. She breathed deeply, still no contractions, she could make it to the room. She held onto the wall and slowly made her way to the room. She avoided sitting on the bed so as not to get it wet and, holding her belly, she shook Benny to wake him up.

"Benny," she whispered. "Benny?" she repeated, not waking up. She didn't feel like screaming. She picked up the glass that sat on Benny's bedside table and dropped it.
Benny pulled himself out of bed with shortness of breath.

"What happened?" he said looking around scared and confused.

"I didn't mean to scare you but..."

"But?"

"Um... my water broke..."

Benny snapped out of bed. "WHAT?"

"Take it easy, Ben. The contractions haven't start-" before she could finish her sentence, she grabbed onto Benny's shoulders, closing her eyes and squeezing his shoulders tightly.
Benny massaged her back, waiting for the pain to pass.
As soon as Frida regained her breath, she said,

"Go to the nursery and get the suitcase, I'll change into a more comfortable dress, also take a towel to put in the car".

When Benny returned from the bedroom he found Frida in the living room, clinging to the console, in front of the television. Benny put Frida's suitcase and handbag by the door and went behind her to hold her. As soon as the contraction was over, Ben took her hand and they walked towards the lift to the car.

"Oh, Benny!" Frida groaned in pain. Another contraction.

"Come on love, we're almost there." Frida did not answer. She was gritting her teeth.

The journey from their home to the hospital took a record time. It was finally time to meet their baby girl.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Come on Frida, one more push and this princess will be out" the doctor tried to reassure her.

Eight and a half hours had now passed and it was very close. One push, one more push. One more.

A child's cry interrupted the screams of an agonised Frida, who immediately threw her head back on the pillows.

"Congratulations, it's a healthy red-haired girl!" The doctor announced, proudly.

Frida and Benny burst into tears and no sooner had the midwife placed the baby in her mother's arms.

Frida did nothing but kiss the head and face of her little girl.

"Elaine..." Frida whispered, "My Elaine."

"Elaine Synni Andersson sounds godly" Benny said holding back tears.

The little girl was as beautiful as could be. She had sunset-coloured hair, a bright orange and it was also very long. Her skin was white and her cheeks pinkish. Freckles adorned her face, just like her mother's. Her lips were the same as Benny's, with upturned corners, making her look like she was always smiling.

The eyes were emerald green, with drops of blue and gold that seemed to be there by chance, a photocopy of Frida's. She was a beautiful child, the child everyone wanted.Their new life had finally begun and they could not be happier.

This isn't where it ends.