CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT

RHEA'S POV:

I cursed under my breath. "Azrael, get all the women and children to safety. Those who want to fight, get them. But their safety comes first."

My beta nodded firmly at my command. However, my best friend didn't seem to agree. Coco frowned, seeming upset. "I can gather them. I'm not totally useless just yet."

Azrael shook his head in disagreement. "Babe, you are pregnant with our pup. I can protect you and I know you're fully capable. But we're in uncharted waters right now. Who knows what might happen."

Giving in, she sighed and shrugged. "Fine, let's get to safety." Before rubbing her belly.

I watched my two best friends disappear into the distance as they followed their orders.

Stilling, I realized I needed to find my mate and fast.

Running through the halls, I'm mind-linking all the pack members to run to safety and for the warriors to suit up.

As I made it out of the pack house, I was greeted with pure chaos.

Dammit, where was Kronos?

Suddenly, I was attacked from behind. I growled, quickly turning myself and kicking the attacker in the balls. A pained cry left the hybrid's mouth before they fell limp, clenching their jewels and shivering.

Grinning, I turned away and leaped into the air, shifting into my wolf form. Where was Kronos? My wolf cried desperately for her mate.

'Mate, Mate, Mate...' she chanted. Her whines were evident.

I felt a stab of pain in my arm suddenly, but it wasn't my pain.

Oh god... I turned around and my eyes finally laid on my mate. Fortrista was attacking him, her claws scratching his arms.

He dodged, trying to speak to her about Ouranos but she wasn't having it. I quickly
ran to my mate, kicking Fortrista in the back of her knees. Not pleased with falling, she hissed at me as she attempted to grab a hold of me.

Kronos, who was behind me, quickly shifted and stood over me. His wolves ears laid flat as he flashed his canines at her.

"How pure... Kronos. You're sacrificing yourself?" Fortrista said, letting out a laugh. She dusted her pants, standing up and stared at us with boredom.

My mate's wolf snarled, hovering over my wolf form.

Suddenly, a voice boomed behind us. "Alpha, I have the traitor right here. Just as you requested."

I turned slowly and my eyes met with the guard who was holding Ouranos down at his trial.

His name was Trevor, wasn't it? He was the guard that replaced Nick. He was the new captain of the pack warriors. He was middle aged, the same age as Fortrista and Ouranos.

Kronos shifted his gaze towards Trevor, seeming to mind link him. Whatever it was, Trevor quickly threw Ouranos at Fortrista's feet. The old man stumbled as fear shown in his eyes.

"What is this?" Fortrista asked, glaring at us.

Shifting back to our human forms, Kronos explained carefully to Fortrista as I stood next to him. One wrong word can finalize the war. If done properly, things can end here today with peace.

"A trade. You stop attacking the pack and leave us alone. Your crimes will be forgiven and forgotten. Look... no one wins in war. We will all have our losses. Your fight is with Ouranos. These people are innocent."

She opened her mouth to answer before she closed it quickly. Fortrista stayed silent as her eyes drifted towards Trevor.

I cocked a brow, not understanding why she wasn't responding.