CHAPTER FORTY ONE

I swallowed hard, blinking more tears away. We were outside now, as the pack members gathered around in a large field, a circle surrounding us.

The challengers stood proud and tall, full of pride that they'll win. As my eyes drifted towards them, Kronos gripped my chin, pulling me back to look at him.

He grasped the sides of my face, caressing my cheeks. "Shhh... I'll be fine. I promise."

"You swear?"

He nods, leaning in and kissing me in the corner of the mouth.

My cheeks heated up, but it immediately faded as he stepped away from me. Sparing me one last glance of sadness, before his eyes turned cold. There was no emotion, there was no love, no compassion, and no room for anything but the look of death.

It was as if the man I grew to love no longer existed.

As mutters from the pack members increased, I noticed that they seemed surprised I was crying.

I assumed that this was from where they thought any wolf with a position that rules all cannot cry, that they have no space for emotion.

Well, they're wrong.

Tilting my head up higher, confidence swelled up in me as I stood tall, my power oozing of belief in my mate, myself, and that everything will be okay.

The pack can see me cry all they want.

Because showing my emotion for my mate, is not considered a weakness.

Blinking once, I resume my position as Luna.

The mumbling quieter down, as a horn was blown. Azrael stood beside Coco, his lips planted tightly in an emotionless gaze. Coco, herself, had a blank look.

"Today, we have 6 challenges. Challenges from six other individuals, who wish to earn the title of Alpha of the Xerxes Moon pack. The rules stand, such as: no wolf bane, no steroids, no potions, or any sorts of cheats that give you the advantage of winning. There cannot be any interference from outside the challenges. If there is, the challenger or the current alpha will face penalties of elimination." Azrael paused, inhaling deeply before releasing.

"Are there anymore challenges, questions, or concerns?"

Not a hand raised up.

Nodding once, Azrael introduced the first challenger.

His name seemed irrelevant to me, since I didn't even hear it. It came from one ear and out of the other, as my attention was more focused on Kronos.

His stance was ready and not a smile rose on him.

The challenger smirked as Azrael started the countdown.

3...

2...

1...

And then the growls and beatings begun.

***

"Yes, go ALPHA! GOOO!" The pack members cheered, howling.

It has been several hours since the challenges have started, and Kronos has killed every single one of them, except for the remaining two.

One of them stood, waiting his turn.

While the other, was in his chokehold by my mate. He started losing color in his face, as tears pricked the edges of his eyes. Blinking once, I turn my head to see a woman holding a two pups to her closely. The pups held their mother by the legs, eyes scared.