CHAPTER TWELVE

A few weeks later ~

"Shhh... it's okay." I whispered, playing with his hair.

Kronos was groaning in his sleep, his heavy breathing echoing throughout the room. Built up sweat rolled off his body, the bedsheets soaking up any moisture. His eyes scrunched up every once and a while, showing me signs of a nightmare and a fever.

I've been told that he had nightmares every night, but it has decreased massively since he found me as his mate. It pained me to see my mate like this.

I had to undress him multiple times due to the amount of sweat he was releasing, and of course, my wolf being the horny one, kept panting and howling in my head. She was sending me dirty images of what she wanted to do with him.

'You're being nasty, calm yourself,' I scowl, mentally crossing my arms.

'Shut up human. My mate is hot, any female would be horny for him,' she fired back at me.

'Go hump a damn pillow.'

'You'll take back your words when your heat comes,' Rain said in a smugly tone.

I dropped the towel that I was using to wipe away Kronos's sweat. Say what now? Rain didn't answer, she was only smiling in triumph.

Bitch.

'I'm a female wolf, therefore, I'm already a bitch. I'm also you, so, we're both BITCHES. Get on with it!'

I flashed her a glare, but she only shrugged it off before cutting the link. Welcome to my daily life with my wolf, aren't I blessed?

A groan of pain drifted me out of my thoughts. Kronos eyes were open now, only that they were in a daze. He tried to sit up, but failed miserably. I got out of my seat in a hurry and settled him down.

"Stop moving around so much. I don't want your fever coming back." I scowl.

Kronos only gave me a small smile. He's lucky that he's cute. If he wasn't, I would have beat his ass for anymore trouble. Then I remembered the conversation I had with Azrael, and knew I had to confront him. This is going to be tough, I'm only opening up old wounds aren't I?

I sighed, "Kronos, we need to talk about your mother and father." Kronos's smile flattered into a small frown, shaking his head right away. "Why not?" I ask, pushing the subject forward.

He looked left and right, before making a motion of writing. I grabbed a notepad and pen nearby on the nightstand and handed it to him. Kronos took it thankfully, scribbling onto it quickly.

He turned the notepad over swiftly, 'I'm not ready.'

I got agitated, standing up from my seat. "You can't keep hiding Kronos! I know she hurt you, but if you don't want to be mute forever, I suggest you stop using that excuse and actually try facing your fears! You won't get better unless you try!"

My body was shaking, but stopped once I looked at Kronos's face. It held hopelessness and shame. My hands clenched, disappointed in myself for shouting at someone with years of abuse, someone who was mute and afraid of more pain.

Yet, as a mate, I should be more understanding. I didn't go through what he did, what kind of mate am I?

I needed to be more patient. I can't believe I just burst out like that. That was so foolish.

I swallowed, releasing a sigh, "I just wanted to let you know that it wasn't your fault that your dad is in a coma. It's those rogues Kronos, you were only 14 at that time. A wolf that hasn't shifted yet, so please, stop blaming yourself. Your mother and those pack members were wrong to do those things to you."

His lips twitched, before nodding in understanding. He turned his back on me before going back to sleep. His soft snores was all I heard before I left the room quietly.

I understood that if someone turned their back to me when they were sleeping, it meant they trusted me. However, I wanted him to understand where I was coming from. I was upset with the situation, with everything. It's upsetting when you can't control something and you wished you did.

A rush of emotions washed over me, an urge to shift. I ran down the stairs, and straight out the door. Leaping in the air, I shifted. Not caring about my shredded clothing.

I sprinted towards the woods, enjoying the smell of the nature. My paws thundered across the land, my wolf just behind me. The wind blew through my soft golden fur, and I enjoyed every bit of it. Ears twitching every so often for the sounds of bird calls.

My wolf's fur was gold with little patches of white. Her eyes were a soft green, while my actual eyes were brown. Weird right?

By the time I finished running, I was already exhausted. I laid down, closing my eyes. It felt nearly impossible to crack down Kronos's walls, he wouldn't let me in. I felt more useless as more days passed, but I was more determined than ever to fix him.

Once mates meet, they instantly fall in love with one another. For my mate to not have that ability worries me.

I reached out to Rain, wanting more answers.

'Rain, why can't I mind link Kronos?'

'Because you guys haven't marked each other yet. Mind-linking between mates are a sacred thing. First requirement is to be in the same pack, which you are. You can mind link everyone but your mate. Which honestly, is stupid but it is what it is. Next step is to mark get the big D.' she said in-a-matter-in-a-fact-tone.

That explains a lot.

And did she just say, 'the big D?'

'Yes. We'll get it sooner or later.' She reminded suggestively.

I rolled my eyes and continued with my questions.

'One more thing. I didn't want to say anything but I felt like something was missing. Don't you think it's weird that a pack of rogues attack the pack house for no reason? There has to be a valid reason,' I ask, trying to put the pieces together.

Rain nodded in agreement, 'Now that you mention it, you're right. Azrael's wolf has said that they targeted Kronos to get back at Ouranos. But why?'

I have a feeling that there's a deeper meaning behind the attack.

'You intend on finding out aren't you?' she chuckled, amused.

You know me well my friend.

'Well, duh. You get that from me, I'm the smart one here,' she said in a sassy tone.

I chuckled, before cutting off the link.

The run cleared my mind up a bit, and my emotions weren't out of place like they were earlier. I was turning to leave when I heard some rustling. This alerted me. There was no scent, but there was undoubtedly a presence.

A let out a growl, warning them.

Rogues.