CHAPTER TWENTY

"Let me get this straight," I pause, my eyebrows furrowing, "Fortrista was your girlfriend, then you met Gaia; your mate. You dumped her ass for Gaia, and because she was so power hungry, she attempted to murder Gaia which led her to being exiled. After many years, she gathered enough rogues and attacked the pack house. Kidnapping Kronos and torturing him just to get back at you, which resulted you to fall into a coma."

Ouranos curtly nodded, a frown appearing on his face. Out of nowhere, Gaia started crying. It shocked us of course, confused of her state.

Gaia cupped her mouth, her words muffled, "And I blamed Kronos for everything, even though it was Fortrista's fault. Forgive me Kronos, I've been a terrible mother."

Kronos didn't do anything, he just got up and left the room. I hurriedly followed him, Gaia's shouts of apologies following us.

I turned around one last time, saying my farewells to Ouranos and as much as I didn't want to, Gaia as well.

Ouranos halted me, grasping my arm tightly, "You must be careful Rhea. For Fortrista to be coming here and giving you a message to us, it would mean great danger will befall us soon. Watch your back, and get the pack ready."

I nodded at his warning, before he let go. Seeking for Kronos, I followed his scent, leading him to a corner where no one was around.

My male must have sensed my presence, because he slowly lifted his head. His eyes red-rimmed, full of emotion, and so much pain.

I kneeled down to his level, reaching for him. Instead, he wraps his arms around my hips, his head falling onto my lap. Bending over, I instinctively shield my body over his, protecting him from the world.

Nine years of guilt and abuse, his mother apologizing, and being convinced that his father would blame him when he didn't, it was too much to take it all in.

We hold each other then and there, for as long as we could. Until I crack the silence with, "It's going to be okay."

And then he breaks.

An outburst of broken sobs, as my mate let out the saddest cries I've ever heard. He shook and trembled, clinging onto me for dear life. Over and over again, he collapsed in my arms.

My heart bled for Kronos as I silently promised myself that I would do everything in my power to protect him. He needed to know that he was more than worthy and nothing was his fault.

From this point on, I was going to make sure that he lived the life he wanted and how he intended it to be. Without any pain from the people he had hurt him.

And I was going to make sure of it.

***

Coco and Azrael had to assist me with getting Kronos to bed, as he was far too heavy for me. He had fallen asleep in my lap after falling apart, but a few hours later, exhaustion hit him.

I dismissed them both, thanking them. They bowed their heads, leaving their Luna and Alpha alone. Giving Kronos a peck on the cheek, I turn to the door to go to my own bedroom.

However, Kronos tugged on my hand, showing me his notepad that said, 'Don't leave.'

Now, who could resist that? His eyes were puppy like, it was cute. I sighed out, tired from the day, "Alright, fine. Quickly though, since I need to get a drink."

I crawled onto the bed, careful to not step on him accidentally. Finding a comfortable position, I nuzzled into his shirt, enjoying his mint like smell.

Rain purred, satisfied. His smell engulfed us, sending a shiver down our spine.

Kronos put his arm under my head, pulling the covers up to our shoulders before hesitantly giving me a kiss on the forehead. I blushed, surprised that he would do such a thing.

But, I was content. He was getting over the fear of touching, and that's all that mattered.

With my head tucked under his chin, and in the arms of my mate, I fall asleep.

It was the best sleep I've had in a long time, and I knew that Kronos thought that too. In the land of wonders, I had forgotten to get myself some water.

Whoops.