Chapter 28: Beam

I had gone back to my mother's for the day. She saw my face and knew something had happened. But to give her credit, nothing sarcastic came out of her mouth. She nursed my injuries and even sat down and watched sappy romance movies with me.
Sue me, I had this side to me.

I stayed the night and made my way to college from home. I went back to my dorm, got my books and went for classes. Pha and Kit were surprised to see me! I found out that Lam was looking for me and had even gone to my dorm. I kept quiet at that information though it warmed my heart. Lam deserved alot more than a guy who had kissed him and just dismissed it as a mistake. I can completely understand why he would want to keep a distance from me. I thought about it all night and decided, yes we should just be friends.

I texted Lam to meet me for lunch. I went to Engineering and saw him there, waiting for me and talking to a girl. It was Maprang. It was a well known fact that she adored him and saw stars and moons around him. I walled over and he saw me. He stood up, a small smile on his face. I saw him,n waiied to Maprang and invited her to join us. She declined saying she had to meet her friends. She smiled at Lam shyly and went off.

Where have you been? You all OKLam asked softly. I looked at him, my heart warming at his gentle tone but I kept my decision in mind and just smiled back.
"Yes I am fine. I had gone back to my mom's. I just needed some time to myself. To think through everything. And I realized you were right and I was wrong. I was wrong to dismiss the kiss, was wrong to say I love you after saying everything was a mistake and more importantly expect you to just be ok with it.".

Lam just continued looking at me. I took a deep breath and continued.
"So let's just be friends? Like what you said. Not fair everyone's friendship suffers because of us. Plus you deserve a lot more than a guy who has done so much of sleeping around and just dismisses everything easily. Right?"

Lam kept quiet throughout my monologue. He just looked at me quietly. I was confused. Was he never going to say anything? Just then the bell rang. Lunch break was over. I had no more classes but knew Lam had. He stood up, I stood up with him. "I will see you later then with the boys?" I queried questioningly. Lam just smiled and nodded his head. I smiled back and turned away. I was about to go off, my head was just aching and my heart even more but maybe this was for the best.

Just as I took a step away, Lam grabbed onto my hand. I turned around to see him putting the gear onto my wrist. I looked up at him, mortified. Shocked. Surprised?

"If you told me, you loved me, maybe I will not have believed you. If you told me it wasn't a mistake, maybe I wouldn't either. But you saying sorry made me realise how sincere you are. You never ever say sorry Beam not unless you are in the wrong. But you were so quick to come down and say sorry to me. And that made me realise you were being as authentic  as you are. Was I angry with you then for dismissing the whole kiss? I was. But then again, I thought about it. You have been someone who gave alot of value to relationships despite seeming so nonchalant. You care about the people you love. How much do you love me to get beaten up for a mistake you didn't even do? I love you Beam. For a very long time. No matter how much I try or you try, we both cannot walk away from one another. So, keep my heart. I ain't taking it back. You given me yours. You ain't having it back either. Make peace with it.".

I stared at Lam stunned. How, what?! My eyes just became teary and before the first tear could drop, Lam pulled me towards him and kissed me. Right there, in the canteen for everyone to see. I had been publicly claimed by Lam, effectively ending both our images as Ice Prince and the Casanova. But I realised I actually liked that I was taken. By a man I love the most.

I looked up at Lam, smiling away. True, a friendship may spoil if love is involved. But we both realized, maybe before friendship, we had always just loved each other.