Chapter Six

Her mind hadn't replayed the all too real dream instead her memory chose to forget it had happened.

Cassie blindly reached for her phone as she reopened her eyes.

She tapped her phone screen, no new notifications.

Cassie dropped her phone back by the side of her pillow as she stared up at the ceiling, she tried but failed to remember the details. Her mind refused to even acknowledge the blonde haired man.

She held back her sigh at her lost thought as she kicked off her blanket and sat up.

Cassie stared up at her closed bedroom door, placing her feet on the carpet.

Her eyes scanned around her room; it was her room yet something about it felt different. She couldn't put her finger on it.

Cassie pushed herself up to her feet before opening her bedroom door and walking down the hallway.

Toni swayed into the kitchen as if she had the best secret in the world. Her hair tossed in a curled mess as she dazed her way around the kitchen.

Cassie glanced up at her mother "Yeah, I'm not asking." She muttered to herself.

Toni rolled her eyes "Cassandra, no need to mumble."

Cassie picked up her empty cereal bowl "And no need to act like this."

Toni ignored her daughter's uncertain words "Where's the lover of yours?"

"What?" Cassie placed her spoon and bowl in the sink.

Toni rolled her eyes "Sometimes I question how you can be my daughter."

"And I question how I got a mother like you."

Toni pursed her lips together as she distractedly attempted to drink from an empty coffee mug "Where's Michael?"

"Some families go on trips around the world." She looked at her mother, almost mimicking Toni's resting stance.

"Not this again, Cassandra."

"What?"

"You know what. Don't start this."

"I'm not starting anything."

Toni placed down her empty coffee mug as she realised her mistake "Cassandra."

"Antoni."

Toni exhaled her breath "Don't try this today, I'm not in the mood."

Cassie stared down her mother.

"What?"

Cassie rolled her eyes.

"Ever since you finished school..."

Cassie seemed confused "You know I've only been out for three days, right?"

Toni glanced over at the calendar stuck to the fridge "Could've sworn it was longer."

"Are you alright, mother?"

Toni cringed at the word mother "Don't you have somewhere to be today?"

"And don't you have someone to do?"

Toni raised an eyebrow.

"What?" With that word Cassie stepped out of the kitchen.

Toni rolled her eyes before turning her attention to her empty coffee mug.