Chapter Sixteen

Michael had spent the day telling Cassie all about his trip with his family, where they went and what they saw.

Cassie hung onto every word, she allowed herself to soak in Michael's experience. She loved hearing about his family trips away, the furthest Cassie had ever gone away from home was to Tallebudgera for a school camp. Cassie and Toni never had the luxury of travelling far during Cassie's upbringing.

Toni softly bumped the front door open with her foot as she tried to carry groceries through the front door "Cassandra!? Your back!?"

Cassie shifted her attention to her mother, she beamed brightly at her mum "I see you finally went shopping."

Toni uncomfortably shifted the weight of the groceries in her arms "Because someone disappeared for six months." She shifted her attention to Michael "Oh, your back too." Michael being in the house had surprised Toni, the last time the two of them were in the same eye line was somewhere between Cassie's experience in grade 10 and grade 11. "I know you didn't run off with Michael, so where were you?" Toni couldn't handle the weight of the bags in her arms, she hurried to place the groceries on the kitchen table.

Michael shifted his gaze to Cassie, he remained silent uncertain if he should ask question too.

"I told you, mother. I texted you I was with a friend. I texted you at least once a day." Cassie still couldn't believe she had been gone for six months; she could've sworn it was only two weeks.

"All I got was mother, I'm fine. For three days than radio silence. Your phone kept ringing out. I was worried something had happened to you."

Michael sat uncomfortably on the lounge.

"I know you weren't with Michael, so where were you?"

"With a friend."

"Michael's your only friend."

Michael wasn't sure if he should take that as a compliment or a criticism. He watched as Cassie lowered her head, he sensed she was hiding something from both him and her mother.

Cassie lifted up her head "I'll explain later."

"No. Now. You weren't with Michael. You weren't in your room. I was worried."

Cassie lifted her gaze to Michael; she smiled a little as she noticed his uncomfortableness "This isn't something to talk about in front of Michael."

Toni shifted her gaze to Michael "The minute that boy leaves, I want answers. Got it!?"

Cassie rolled her eyes.

"I saw that." Toni pursed her lips as she began to unpack the groceries and put them away.

Michael sensed he should leave but wasn't sure how to work up his courage to let Cassie and Toni be alone.

"How was your trip, Michael?" Toni's words covered the uncomfortable silence.

Michael nodded slightly "Yeah, good."

"Where did you go?" Toni questioned.

"Uh. Um. Everywhere."

"Like?"

"Hawaii for a bit than to the UK for a bit than America for a bit." It almost felt like Michael had to remind himself of where he went.

"Is Hawaii as lovely as the tv shows make it to be? I've always wanted to go there."

It was Cassie's turn to feel uncomfortable.

"Yeah, gorgeous. We. Um. Have family. There. So, we. See them. Whenwehavethechance." Michael felt uncomfortable having to explain himself, he loved talking about his travels but in this very moment, he felt like he was being questioned under duress.